Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it went down like this. My friend and I have this other friend that has an srt-4. He has a boost controller. I'm not shure what boost he was running. My friends wrx has a hks downpipe, upipe, a scoobysport muffler cat-back, and a boost controller and a stage 2 turboxs unichip. But the problem is that he's running 18+ pounds of boost becuase his upipe isn't programmed into the unichip, and the boost controller is ****ed up it's a crappy one. But he raced the srt-4 anyway.
Now of course I thought that his wrx would blow him away because my wrx is stock and he blew me away, it has awesome power, not shure what it is to the wheels but it felt fast and awesome. So being friends with the srt-4 we did 3 races, the first one he wanted to start out in second, for what reason i don't know, but the wrx rpm's weren't up enough and the srt-4 just took off, but the race was right. So we go from a stop, and of course the wrx blew him out of the water. Just because the srt-4 sat the spinning, so not fare for him. SO then we did a first gear roll the wrx started high rpm's this time, then we went we stayed ahead of him until 4th gear and I looked over and he took off.
I'm like what the ****, this wrx has all this stuff done to it and all that srt-4 has is a boost controller. Then the wrx turbo really sucks. I need some input on this bad! I'm pissed but have an apprecition for those srt-4's.
Also what's an upgrade turbo for a wrx and do u have to do anything else to the car like upgrade intercooler, fuelpump, etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Uhm.. he should really fix that boost controller... 18+ pounds on the stock turbo probably isnt wise.

Depending on what turbo you get, you usually need to upgrade the injectors/fuelpump/intercooler. You can get away with the stock intercooler, but most people upgrade it. A pretty popular upgrade is the VF34, STI injectors, and Walbro fuel pump.

The srt-4 is a quick car from a roll. Its fast in a straight line...

I wouldnt be pissed about losing to one, especially if its not from a stop. Also, the 4th gear of the wrx is its weakest... but at that point you are already going about 90.

The point is... you will lose to an SRT-4 if you are going in a straight line from a roll after 90 miles per hour. I don't know how often that situation comes up with you and your friends, but it doesnt happen very often to me.

Rob

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
well, 2 things...first, it sounds like your buddy's WRX is kinda piecemeal, just thrown together with mods....its probably not running to its maximum potential with the parts...Second, WRX's are definitely not impressive at speed. The faster you go, the more the AWD robbing HP hurts you. The Neon is light, and gets a good portion of its bhp to the wheels. I dont see why more people here dont realize this: If you have a WRX, you race from STOPS!! That is where your car shines! You dont see Supra's begging to race from stops...the smart ones do high speed races where they know they are at an advantage! 0-80 should be where you all dominate on the streets. :cool:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Blizwinter said:
My friends wrx has a hks downpipe, upipe, a scoobysport muffler cat-back, and a boost controller and a stage 2 turboxs unichip. But the problem is that he's running 18+ pounds of boost becuase his upipe isn't programmed into the unichip, and the boost controller is ****ed up it's a crappy one. But he raced the srt-4 anyway.
You can't run 18psi on the stock turbo with a stocker intercooler and make any more power than at 17psi. I recommend a better boost controller (MBC or EBC), then either a VF34 or a TMIC. Also, running a FMIC with the stock turbo is a waste of money.

After running the VF34 for a while, he'll be ready for bigger injectors and a fuel pump to put him in the 12s.

If there is any doubt what a VF series turbo on stock fueling can do, right-click, save as:
Platinum vs. drizze99 (WMV 5.06MB)
or Platinum vs. drizze99 (MPG 8.29MB)

-Jim

·
Registered
599 Posts
StoplightWarrior said:
You dont see Supra's begging to race from stops...the smart ones do high speed races where they know they are at an advantage! 0-80 should be where you all dominate on the streets. :cool:

hahahaha my friend with a wrx (dp, bov, sti intercooler, catback) tried to race a supra from a stop just for kicks. The supra gave him a good head start and just blew by him like he was going in reverse :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
yeah, I don't think some supras would mind at all from a stop. It's just a matter of time before they catch up. :wiggles:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Blizwinter said:
Well it went down like this. My friend and I have this other friend that has an srt-4. He has a boost controller. I'm not shure what boost he was running. My friends wrx has a hks downpipe, upipe, a scoobysport muffler cat-back, and a boost controller and a stage 2 turboxs unichip. But the problem is that he's running 18+ pounds of boost becuase his upipe isn't programmed into the unichip, and the boost controller is ****ed up it's a crappy one. But he raced the srt-4 anyway.
Now of course I thought that his wrx would blow him away because my wrx is stock and he blew me away, it has awesome power, not shure what it is to the wheels but it felt fast and awesome. So being friends with the srt-4 we did 3 races, the first one he wanted to start out in second, for what reason i don't know, but the wrx rpm's weren't up enough and the srt-4 just took off, but the race was right. So we go from a stop, and of course the wrx blew him out of the water. Just because the srt-4 sat the spinning, so not fare for him. SO then we did a first gear roll the wrx started high rpm's this time, then we went we stayed ahead of him until 4th gear and I looked over and he took off.
I'm like what the ****, this wrx has all this stuff done to it and all that srt-4 has is a boost controller. Then the wrx turbo really sucks. I need some input on this bad! I'm pissed but have an apprecition for those srt-4's.
Also what's an upgrade turbo for a wrx and do u have to do anything else to the car like upgrade intercooler, fuelpump, etc.

the funny thing is that the srt has the pretty much the same turbo as we do....

·
Registered
59 Posts
WRX said:
bah, racing from a roll is like [email protected] It can be fun, but it's not the real thing.
True, but it is the better comparison of which *car* is faster, though not which *driver* is better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: Re: LOST to an srt-4(does the wrx stock turbo suck?)

evokilla said:
the funny thing is that the srt has the pretty much the same turbo as we do....
The turbo on the SRT is a 16G housing while the WRX has a 13G housing. I wish my WRX had a 16G turbo on it, that would be sweet!

·
Registered
14 Posts
But they do both have TD04 turbos correct?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ya I think so. I'm not pro but the SRT has a TD04LR-16Gk turbo. But has a larger compresor housing so makes more top end.

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I know there are some differences that make the SRT turbo a little more laggy but more powerful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i dont wanna stir up any bs with anyone, but i have to respond to the comment of "awd robbing power", and the concept of awd hurting top end power and/or speed...yes awd may have more drivetrain losses than a fwd car, BUT, that in no way is suddenly going to make itself evident only at highway speeds..the reason that wrx's get a bad rap for top end power is that they're saddled with a puny whack mitsu turbo and are corked up with hella emissions controls..uncork the cats and exhaust and tune a bigger turbo properly with the right mods and the car is a highway mauler....srt 4's are quick..im beating them at all speeds now, but i'd get my ass handed to me stock for stock..gotta give props where props are due..

·
Registered
213 Posts
ebbtide said:
True, but it is the better comparison of which *car* is faster, though not which *driver* is better.
In a straight line on tarmac big boy. Meet me in the dirt or gravel (or take a lap around a tarmac track for that matter) and we'll see which car is faster.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I love the SRT4, its a huge sleeper... and having a sleeper is a fun experience. But in other than straight line acceleration, the subaru is a superior car.

AWD standard (turbo neon in the snow, forget it)
REAR LIMITED SLIP :D
Better gas milage
Better crash ratings (Subaru crash victims keep their legs)
Better handling characteristics (neons pitch the rear)
POWER REAR WINDOWS.
6disc stereo

The neon features:
Badass motor (bigger displacement)
Better tires
cool fake metal shifter knob

Its obvious what Dodge wanted to do with this car. Out drag the compacts... It does it

Subaru built a 365 day a year, rain, snow, gravel car
that gets almost 30mpg, sprints to 60 in 5-6 seconds, sounds great, is fairly reliable, is predictable, moddable, and rides as smooth as an accord.

I am content with my car, i love it and wouldnt give it up for anything other than an EVO or STi, because AWD donuts are seriously some of the most fun things to do in a car

1 - 20 of 82 Posts