Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i gave this guy like.....a second head start cuz i didnt realize he wanted to race (btw it was a Dakota 5.9L v8 R/T) and when i started accelerating....we were stuck at the same distance....about 3 car lenghts.......it was kind of embarrassing cuz my friend was behind me.....i guess next time i should use the reason for awd....launching = )

·
Registered
94 Posts
A one second difference in reaction times on a street race is very very difficult to make up. Giving a head-start to any car will pretty much guarantee a loss, especially if your talking short distances (stoplight to stoplight).

jb

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I raced a 5.9 Dakota on the street. He spun, I launched normally, but on time, I shifted into 2nd at like 5k and still kicked his butt.

Are you bone stock?

-Jim

·
Registered
278 Posts
oooggss said:
i gave this guy like.....a second head start cuz i didnt realize he wanted to race (btw it was a Dakota 5.9L v8 R/T) and when i started accelerating....we were stuck at the same distance....about 3 car lenghts.......it was kind of embarrassing cuz my friend was behind me.....i guess next time i should use the reason for awd....launching = )
Man, I could beat you if you gave me a full second head start!

Don't do that anymore - you should just whoop people so they know better :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol yeah but....i didnt know this guy wanted to race...u never see big ass trucks peeling out next to u =P.....so by the time he got his second head start...i decided to go too. i dont wanna be like some idiot racing someone at every street light.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
oooggss said:
lol yeah but....i didnt know this guy wanted to race...u never see big ass trucks peeling out next to u =P.....so by the time he got his second head start...i decided to go too. i dont wanna be like some idiot racing someone at every street light.
it was an R/T ya gotta look over there and see the expression the guy gives ya...if some jackass just takes off then it's really not a race but if u make eye contact and he looks at the light or somthing then it's on

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aight...i'll remember that next time....tomorrow im gonna go hunt for this guy on the way to school =P

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
it's like me pulling up to a viper and boom i'm off and the viper guy catches up but not in time for the next light and i "win"

·
Registered
383 Posts
My old RT ('00):

Both it and my WRX were/are stock so I can make a pretty good comparison between the two.

If you let him get rolling and then hit it, you would probably lose up to 40-50mph. By lose I mean not gain on him, maybe even fall a little. After that you would own him, even stock. Those trucks are a major PITA to launch (no weight over the rear wheels with > 300 ft/lbs at or before 2k rpm), so you gave up your biggest advantage. They run hard from 5-50mph or so, but quickly run out of breath. My WRX runs pretty strong up to 90 or so, so from 50-90 you should own him. A set of slicks and they run mid 14s @ mid 90s (not bad for a > 2 ton brick :p ), so with traction I would say it could go either way with a stock WRX on the street.

VV

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an R/T also and you pretty much couldn't launch at anything above idle, unless you had slicks. I ran 14.6 in my with bolt ons, but if you give any car a 1 sec head start you will probably lose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts