Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey:

Let me preface this story with the fact that this was my first race in the WRX, I'm totaly stock.

I was returning from the grocery store last evening when a black Mustang Cobra (97ish?) coming in the opposite direction pulls a U turn right in from of me. I am forced to slow down and know I'm right behind him. So I figure I'll keep up with him to show him what is up.

So I'm tailing him pretty good for about a quarter of a mile. I pass my apartment enterance and we line-up at the next red light.

At the light, he looks over and says
Cobra: "Is that thing fast"
Me: "0-60 in 5.5 seconds"
Cobra: "Wow, I bet it handles pretty good too"
Me: "yeah, pretty good, probably not as good as your car"
Cobra: "what is that, the wr7?"
Me: "Nah, WRX"
Cobra: "Is that for off road?"
Me: "Yeah, you can Rally race it"
Cobra:' Nice looking car"
Me: "Thanks, want to run?"
Cobra: "Yeah, I'll run, but I'm having 2nd gear syncro problems"
Me: "That's okay, I still don't know how to launch it"

I start to rev and so does he. The light turns green and I get a jump, but I bogg :mad:

He is right next to me, until the top of first were I start to pull, I sifted WAAAYYY to early (5.5k) and got in second far to low on the powerband. he is even with me now and starting to pull. I was looking at the boost gauge and I was only getting 11psi :confused:

He gets about a car in front of me by the top of second and we shut down.

I was disapointed with my driving. I knew I'd loose, but I expected to hold him off for a little while.

Two things: I wish I could launch with out bogging, and shifted later so I would have gotten more boost.

That's my story, flame on

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh well, as we've always said, you can't win them all. Just use this as a learning experience and practice your techniques. You'll be spanking Ferrari's in no time! NOT!:p

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah ...

I'm assuming you're running sotck psi and no mods right? If you really wanna win and since you don't race alot you "don't" need to worry about the clutch and tranny "as much." So hold your revs at 2.5-3K at the light and when it turns green ... jump on the gas and when the revs get to 4.5-5K slip umm or just slowly drop the clutch and keep on the gas. You'll 90% get a decent launch which is what matters during a street race expecially if it's only going to last 5.5sec +\-. :D Remember NOT to left off on the gas during the clutch engagament ... I have that problem myself which will bogg :( ... I haven't raced anyone in a while however I still need to practiced so when the time calls ... I won't look too bad. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just go practice a couple of launches and don't let up until 7k rpm's. You'll do fine next time. ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had a 97 Cobra up to 2 month ago.

0 to 60 5.4
1/4 13.78 to 14.1 depends on wich mag you read.

My experience at the track bone stock with 1500 miles was 1/4 13.55 @104 mph. After removing the airbox and installing some nitto Dr's I dipped the mug to a 13.2 @ 106. Cobras are hard cars to launch. They make all of their HP after 4000 rpms so boggin them of the line is easy. If The Cpobra boggs of the line then you should be able to take him, but if the person driving the Cobra has some ball and lauches the car at 4500 RPM's and keeps it from bogging then you are dead. I should know I owned a 97 Cobra and just sold my WRX.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drod said:
I had a 97 Cobra up to 2 month ago.

0 to 60 5.4
1/4 13.78 to 14.1 depends on wich mag you read.

My experience at the track bone stock with 1500 miles was 1/4 13.55 @104 mph. After removing the airbox and installing some nitto Dr's I dipped the mug to a 13.2 @ 106. Cobras are hard cars to launch. They make all of their HP after 4000 rpms so boggin them of the line is easy. If The Cpobra boggs of the line then you should be able to take him, but if the person driving the Cobra has some ball and lauches the car at 4500 RPM's and keeps it from bogging then you are dead. I should know I owned a 97 Cobra abd just sold my WRX.
That's exactly what I figured. I didn't hear his tires so I think he bogged too. we were right next to each other getting throught the intersection. it was like a slowmotion launch

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go to the track and work on you drag racing skills. Most Cobra owners are not willing to commit to a 4500 RPM launch.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Haha

Have a toy and afraid to play ... ;). I find it amusing how the WRX owners are more prone to play than the "expensive car owner" in a stereotypical statement. It's all good. Just go to somewhere nice and secluded and practice your launches. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm still very surprised that if you bogged the launch, shifted too early, and didn't hit full boost, that he only put 1 car on your bone stock, brand new WRX. Does that make sense to other people? Maybe that Cobra was very sick or the driver had an even worse race than you did (shifted from 1st to 3rd by mistake?). If you look at the torque curve on the Cobra compared to the WRX, even if he did bog the launch, he still has WAY more low end torque than you do.

Not calling BS because anything can happen on the road, but a story like this on ClubRSX would get flamed to death.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Cobra guy indicated he was having tranny problems (bad 2nd gear synchro). Hard to say how much that would cost him time wise in a short run (up to around 60mph for 1st and 2nd gear), but likely enough that the story is entirely believable.

If the Cobra had the vertical "jewel" taillight sections, it was rated at 305 HP with the modular 4.6 (1996-1998?). If it had regular horizontal taillight sections, it was rated at 240 HP with the 5.0 (1994-1995?). I'm not entirely sure on the years, but the cars look very similar except for the taillights. I'm sure a Ford owner can correct me (GM guy myself) on any of the details that need clarification. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
95 Cpbras had horizontal tail lights and the same hod as the GT. 96-98 had the bubble hod and the two nostrills. 98 had a diffrent ecu and made 320 hp.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey don't feel too bad about your driving. The other night on the way to the drag races a couple of kids in an RS with wheels and no muffler pull up to me at a light. We chatted for a sec and we agree to take it off the line. His buddy had a video camera as well.

We both get the rpms up, light goes green he smoked me at the light. He left the line spinning wheels in a fury :eek: I bogged like ***** and he pulled a couple of cars on me. By the time I was at the 1-2 shift I was back at his side and then went into 2nd and left his ass sitting there (actually like he was just sitting there). At least his buddy got that on camera ;)

That was ok though because when I got to the track I ran several high 12 passes and my best of 12.8.

The worst part about the street race with the RS, was that I had some of my friends following me in the next two cars directly behind me at the street light. They ragged on me all night long about it :mad:

See, it can happen to anybody so go practice your launches.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts