Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ran into an issue with the car today. I have a 2012 wrx running a stage 2 torqued performance e-tune with a cobb intake and cobb turboback. Had this setup for 3 years with 0 issues. I laid into the throttle a little today in 3rd gear and it got to about 3500 rpm and bogged down. The rpms wouldn't get much higher, at least for a couple seconds and i didn't want to hold it any longer. 1st and second gear it gets higher in the rpms but still loses power and ill get a pop out of the exhaust. When its building boost it sounds a touch louder than normal and then it just like flutters. My accessport is still reading 16-18.5 psi peak but its not consistent. i have a constant -.35 fine knock learn, even at idle. The AF Learn 1 (this may not be the right title) is around -5to -7 when putting around and gets up to -10. DAM is constant 1. Fuel pump duty was in the 90's as normal, but for 1 test drive injector duty was only peaking at like 1.7?, but when i ran it the last time i think it got up to 75. My intercooler to throttle body hose had backed off a bit (i replaced it with a mishimoto when i did the downpipe), but there was still plenty of the fitting inside it, and it seems fine now. I did a couple data logs, haven't looked at them yet (and I'm not smart enough to diagnose the problem from them anyway) but they're probably only a second or two until the car stops accelerating and i get off throttle because i don't want to do any damage. I realize this a lot of info but could really use some feedback. Anything helps, thanks.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you ask because in the 3 years I've owned the car 99.9% of the time i get gas at the same shell station...except last week i got stuck far away and went to an exxon. I watched him hit 93 and i still have the receipt that said 93 though. you think bad fuel could cause this? i filled up with shell just now but only lugged the car home 1 mile and nothing got better.

Ill also sadly admit i haven't done and reviewed a datalog in the last year, and haven't plugged in my accessport in over a month or so until today.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
Funny you ask because in the 3 years I've owned the car 99.9% of the time i get gas at the same shell station...except last week i got stuck far away and went to an exxon. I watched him hit 93 and i still have the receipt that said 93 though. you think bad fuel could cause this? i filled up with shell just now but only lugged the car home 1 mile and nothing got better.

Ill also sadly admit i haven't done and reviewed a datalog in the last year, and haven't plugged in my accessport in over a month or so until today.
I wouldn't go wailing on the car for data logs yet. I would take a look at your plugs, coils, and maybe clean the maf sensor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cleaned my air filter, pulled out the maf sensor and it looked immaculate but wasn't sure if you can visibly see the build up well. So I didn't clean it. Put injector cleaner in with some fresh gas and drove it around for a bit. Check engine light came on at one point for 2 min when I held the throttle in for a bit. 1st and 2nd gear will rev out all the way but not Normal power. 3rd gear and up I cannot get above about 3200rpms. Dropped it off at the dealer, they're running a diagnostics test and I should hear from them soon.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They ended up doing a compression test and told me I have low compression in 3 cylinders. Not the news I wanted. $6 grand for a new short block. They asked me if I was putting regular gas in it because there was a lot of gunk and carbon build up. I always put 93 in it since day 1. Always changed the oil at 3,000 miles. Always eased into the throttle when getting up in the rev range. I have no clue what I'm gonna do with this car now

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
teebrunz said:
They ended up doing a compression test and told me I have low compression in 3 cylinders. Not the news I wanted. $6 grand for a new short block. They asked me if I was putting regular gas in it because there was a lot of gunk and carbon build up. I always put 93 in it since day 1. Always changed the oil at 3,000 miles. Always eased into the throttle when getting up in the rev range. I have no clue what I'm gonna do with this car now
Who quoted you $6K?

Take the car to Prime Motoring and have them get you a new engine and a JR tune.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[/QUOTE]

Who quoted you $6K?

Take the car to Prime Motoring and have them get you a new engine and a JR tune.[/QUOTE]

That quote was from dealer, I wouldn't have them do the work. Idk what to do. I guess I'll call around a few shops and price out a rebuild with upgraded internals. It doesn't make sense to sell the car as is and take a huge loss. I should probably get a second opinion, although I doubt they would screw up the compression test

· Registered
114 Posts
Shop around for reputable engine builder. For that price you might as well buy a built engine from IAG with better internals and upgrade (and delete things) at the same time. I know it's such a heartache when these things go but somehow we keep loving them :( Good luck on the repair :)

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
teebrunz said:
That quote was from dealer, I wouldn't have them do the work. Idk what to do. I guess I'll call around a few shops and price out a rebuild with upgraded internals. It doesn't make sense to sell the car as is and take a huge loss. I should probably get a second opinion, although I doubt they would screw up the compression test
You live in North Jersey. You're not far from Prime Motoring. Talk to them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.