Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone this is my first thread ever on this thread, so I'll do my best to not sound like a total idiot.

I have a 2012 WRX hatch and I noticed that my high end power seems to be restricted. When I get to around 4500 RPM the car starts to stutter or feel like it lagging I guess you could say. Sometimes it does it, and sometimes it doesn't. It mainly starts stuttering in the 5000 RPM range and its spotty in the 4500 RPM range and for sure will be restricted up and beyond that.

Now, I don't drive like this all the time I actually baby this thing, but it's a peace of mind sort of deal. I don't want this problem to compound into something much more difficult and expensive to fix - that is of course unless it already is.

Thanks to anyone who offers a solution or advice - anything will help as I am new to this car I just got it recently so the more knowledge I have on the maintenance and overall upkeep of this type of car the better.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Not throwing any codes. So far my guess is the clutch/transmission? 79k without a clutch swap so it could be warn down a bit? I don't know
Guide me through the thought process that got you to that conclusion.

A bad clutch does not cause stuttering. It causes the rpm to rise without change to the acceleration. Or, clutch slippage. Not stuttering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Guide me through the thought process that got you to that conclusion.

A bad clutch does not cause stuttering. It causes the rpm to rise without change to the acceleration. Or, clutch slippage. Not stuttering.
I think the "I dont know" at the end might explain that... I dont know..? Hence why it's a guess. My only guidance through that thought is that the pressure plate is slipping which is causing the stuttering when the car rises in RPM's. But reading the explanation about the RPM's going up when the clutch slips makes much more sense than my logic haha!

Would it be a good idea to get the engine pressure tested? Maybe there's something loose or a connection that isn't fully in place? Again, just spit balling I have no clue.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Couple things. Yes checking for boost and vacuum leaks is important. So is checking plugs coils and the tune that is on your car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To anyone who may look at this thread, I have noticed that sometimes when I want to step on it a little, it hesitates and then, BOOM, all the sudden in kicks into how much torque and power it should have in the first place without the stutter.

Thanks to any advice in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts