ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up, so I've recently put on invidia catback mated to a stock dp and have noticed my mpgs dropped about 1.5-2. I have a 2011 wrx Cobb stage 1 + aem. It's been about a month now and consistently around 17.5 vs 19 or so before changing the catback( lots of city driving). Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated to get this back to normal because this seems abnormal. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Most likely scenario, because of the sound difference after installing the catback you are driving with a heavier foot.

For what it's worth, I can get anywhere from 14mpg to 32mpg depending on how I drive.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
^ agree'd.. its likely more mental than actually having anything to do with the car. Since a cbe really just makes noise and doesn't do much for performance/reducing restriction without changing the downpipe.. yeah man its probably you're foot pleasing the part of your mind that says "step on it.. oooohh that sounds sooo nice :D "

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish that were true. I'm pretty meticulous on how I drive and I haven't even hit boost(shift under 2800) for about 50 miles or so and still at like 17.5 mpgs. Doing some reading and wondering if could be an exhaust leak? Any thoughts?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I'm thinking same. Since the downpipe is the major restriction in the system just adding a cbe shouldn't have that much affect on fuel mileage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would totally agree with you guys but my mpg meter is telling me different. Let's just take the lead foot factor out of the equation for now, could it be anything else

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
What are you using to calculate MPG? The AccessPort is notoriously inaccurate. I measure how much fuel goes into my tank when I fill up and divide how many miles I've driven since the last fill up by that number, most accurate way I know of.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
What are you using to calculate MPG? The AccessPort is notoriously inaccurate. I measure how much fuel goes into my tank when I fill up and divide that by how many miles I've driven since the last fill up, most accurate way I know of.
He is probably talking about the mpg indicator on the car.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Hmm.. didn't know they had new fangled things like that these days, lol.

Has anyone checked it against how much fuel is actually going into the car?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
my mpg went up with adding a dp, cbe and a tune. have you tried calculating the mpg but not using the car's indicator. I like what the ap says for mpg, i can get 99 mpg in my car haha

·
Registered
558 Posts
Don't trust the car display. Calculate by using the method listed above.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
My indicator is usually off by .5 to 1 mpg. Like when it says 24 I'm getting about 23 or 23.5

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How are you getting that good of mpgs, even if I'm cruising highway and babying the car I only get like 22

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
It's all in how you drive it.. plus things like tire pressure, and how much crap you have in your car can make considerable differences. When I got 32mpg I don't think I went over 65mph (and I never use cruise control). If you cruise in 5th at 55-60mph you will get much better mileage than if you cruise at 75mph. Also coasting a long way every time you need to slow down or stop helps. Other drivers seem to get mad that I will coast for half a mile coming up to a stop, but the savings in fuel speaks for itself.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Yeah stock I could pull 24 with cruise control set at 65 now at stage 2 I get 27 doing the same thing

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So basically what you're saying is go stage 2 and make sure my tire pressure is good,lol. I live in so cal so driving 55 is not an option. I don't know, just frustrating with these crazy gas prices, I'm paying like 4.50/ gallon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts