ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's all this talk about minuscule hp gains on forums ( hp is fun and all ) but I think the real performance of our cars would shine if we lost 200 - 300 lbs. This way you would keep the reliability, improve performance, and improve handling.

Is this possible? What would it take? How much money are we looking at ? Have any of you tried shedding the pounds?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hit the gym.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Losing weight is a great way to improve your car's performance. I've removed several unnecessary parts here and there, but nothing major. Once I get some free time I'm going on a major weight loss campaign.. there will be lots of cutting involved. I figure if it doesn't serve a purpose then it's gone.

I use this thread as a reference and it's a good place to get ideas of things that can be removed.

AnorexicSTI - 05 STI Lightweight w/ "full interior" - 2660lbs - 62 lbs to 2598! - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I take out my spare, jack, and all that loose stuff in the trunk on the track because it sheds 50 pounds. I leave it in on the street because I like to have a spare.

There's a ton of little things you can do to shed weight like taking out your floor mats. I highly agree though that the weight loss is free and can make much more difference than some of the miniscule power gains you get from some mods that cost a decent amount. However, except the trunk/spare, there's not much weight to be shed very easily.

Far better would be to pay attention to mods like wheels. People are constantly going for wider wheels/tires, which add a relatively small amount of weight, but it's rotating so the effects are 10 times the weight.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
you could definitely shed the weight in the wheels/tires and see a very noticeable difference in performance.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
im not terribly concerned with weight loos, but what you can get rid of depends on how you use the car. In my mustang i removed the back seats since they werent used and i didnt need them

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Do you know the weight of the stock 12' wheels and tires? Or where I can find that info?
For the rubber, I'm sure you can find the exact tire on TireRack.com and it should have the weight listed. As far as the rim portion, I'm sure the weight is listed somewhere out there in the internets. GL!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts