ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I joined this forum to get more info on the WRX. I'm coming from a 2001 Honda Civic and it's time for an upgrade. I've always wanted a WRX since the bugeyed WRX but never got serious into looking into one. Now I am and now I'm doing my homework. Lookin to buy one within the next few months. I was wondering if you could help me with a few things...

1) I'd like to get an idea of how much people are paying for their cars. How much did you pay for your 11/12 WRX? (please let me know if you took on the base, premium, or limited)

2) I've been lurking around this site and I've noticed that there are some issues. So far I see mostly cracked bumpers and rattling noises. I guess I'm trying to find out, how reliable are the WRX's? My Civic was great for what it was worth. No major problems with the Vic engine wise. Only issue was that my car was slammed therefore the wear and tear was ridiculous. On top of that I commute from NY to NJ for work (55 miles one way)and the roads are rediculous. I don't plan to do any mod's on the Rex.

3) Do you really use PREMIUM gas?

3) Do you regret getting the Rex?

Thanks for all your input!
-Carlos

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ill answer the best I can.

1.) I have a regular STi so I can't comment on the WRX other than I was prepared to pay 33.5 for a Limited before they worked with me on the STi.
2.) I have only had the car for two days. Can't comment much on issues other than all of the Subaru's I have owned end up with creeks and pops at some point.
3.) If it's turbo'ed you HAVE to use premium or you can do major damage to your engine.
4.) Absolutely not. This is actually my 3rd WRX if you count two STi's. So far our of 5 Subaru's my favorites have been my 3 WRX's, and my Legacy GT2.5.

You won't regret it unless you are really tight on cash. You will pay more for gas and insurance. If you are willing to do that you will be glad you bought a WRX I assure you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My personal experience after 2 weeks of having my 2012 wrx hatch.
1. i bought mine base model $26,200 drive out.
2. factory speakers are horrible and it rattles a lot when you turn up the base volume.
3. 91 octane listed in owner’s manual but i use 93 on mine
4. i love driving it everyday.

·
Registered
133 Posts
1) I bought my '11 for $25,300- it's just a base with spoiler, short throw shifter, fog lights, and arm rest extension.

2) Subarus are generally very reliable, especially if you are keeping it stock. I had a 2002 that I drove for five years before I got my new one and never had any problems other than normal wear and tear repairs.

3) Yes, it seems like a very expensive adjustment but you just have to accept that you will be paying $2-$3 more per fill up compared to what you do now- plus you will get about 24-25 mpg instead of the 30+ that I'm sure you get with the Honda. For some people that may be a deal breaker, for others the performance and all wheel drive is worth it. The stock ride is pretty comfortable too, I'm sure if your car is lowered you do a lot of wincing on the crappy roads up here.

4) I have never once regretted getting the Rex, and that says a lot because I'm definitely a "grass is always greener on the other side" kind of person, always looking for the next better thing I can get, but I loved my old one so much that I wanted to get the same car again. Before the Rex I had a couple Jeeps and a Mitsubishi Eclipse, so the mileage actually got better for me for the most part. The all-wheel-drive is awesome to have up here in the northeast, my eclipse was the only front wheel drive I ever had and I absolutely hated the plowing it did in the snow. I think the WRX's are just great all-around cars, fast, extremely capable and safe in the snow, and really fun to drive every day.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the responses!!! I was afraid I was going to get flamed.

Now I'm getting really anxious to start shopping.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
110 miles a day?I'd get a Prius.
I was thinking that but this would be for just one year. If I'm purchasing a car, I want something that I would enjoy and not regret. I actually fell in love with the new body style. I can suck up the fuel consupmtion for a year.

I would hate to buy a Prius, Insight, etc or whatever for the sake of one year. I will regret that from day one and then next year, regret it even more when my commute will be cut to 10 miles one way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
1) I'd like to get an idea of how much people are paying for their cars. How much did you pay for your 11/12 WRX? (please let me know if you took on the base, premium, or limited)
Premium rally blue wrx 29000 otd... its decent price and trust me.. one you start driving awd you never wanna go back.

2) I've been lurking around this site and I've noticed that there are some issues. So far I see mostly cracked bumpers and rattling noises. I guess I'm trying to find out, how reliable are the WRX's? My Civic was great for what it was worth. No major problems with the Vic engine wise. Only issue was that my car was slammed therefore the wear and tear was ridiculous. On top of that I commute from NY to NJ for work (55 miles one way)and the roads are rediculous. I don't plan to do any mod's on the Rex.
The suspension of the civic and the wrx aren't that much different imo. I have a 2001 civic and it is a pretty smooth ride. Comparing to my wrx 2012 btw is pretty much the same in most cases but obivously it gonna be a bit rough since it is an awd and a lot more power to handle. I owned a 2.5rs before i got my wrx and its pretty reliable, but dont you expect to get good mileage like the civic tho.

Yes you do. For all turbo cars.. you NEED it... you will **** up your engine if you dont.

4) Do you regret getting the Rex?
Never now, Never will

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi all,

I joined this forum to get more info on the WRX. I'm coming from a 2001 Honda Civic and it's time for an upgrade. I've always wanted a WRX since the bugeyed WRX but never got serious into looking into one. Now I am and now I'm doing my homework. Lookin to buy one within the next few months. I was wondering if you could help me with a few things...

Depends on what you want. I wanted sunroof, so premium was must, then hid was neat in my opinion, so I went with ltd. ordered was ~$27k
might be lot of gas. 110x220days= 24200miles In commute 20mpg is good imo, so calculate expences.
high compression requires 91+ gas. I used to drive all of my subarus on 91.
3) Do you regret getting the Rex?
no, never.
Thanks for all your input!
-Carlos
Welcome.

Subarus are good cars, wrx is mu 5th and all of them are great cars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I fill up about once every 6-7 days. For my last Hybrid, I filled up the tank every 7 days and the price total price to fill up the tank was actually pretty close compared to the WRX.

If I remember correctly I purchased my '11 Hatch Premium for around 29K + Taxes, Title, etc. I believe.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Traditionally, the WRX's ecu has been adaptive, and could retard timing to compensate for lower octane gas. (so it may not actually screw the engine up, as stated above)

That said, if you're really pinching pennies so much that you can't pay an additional $3 each time you fill up, then the WRX is not the right fit for the budget.

(speaking generally, not specifically to the OP)

·
Registered
74 Posts
1. Car price was $29,225 for a 2012 5dr premium with an added SPT exhaust, and a short throw shifter, I think I added one other small option, don't remember what it was.

2. I'm supposed to take delivery in the middle of March so I haven't had any issues yet :thumbup:

3. Even though I haven't received it yet I already have zero regrets and can't wait to get my hands on this car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts