ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says I'm thinking about buying one. I wanted to know of those of you that have one, what you have done to it? I know there is not alot of parts out for them yet, I've only seen exhaust and some of the basics. Just looking for info.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bought one about a month ago, still have low miles (drive a work truck most of the time.)

I have done nothing as yet, and probably won't do anything for a short while yet, but....

Number one on my list is suspension: sway bars, most likely.
Too much body roll, etc., for me and that is likely the best cure.

Number two is a short shift: not that the stock one is exactly bad, but it could be better.

That is really the only things I am expecting to do in the near future- car is pretty good as is.

I'm not a "ricer" or a "racer" so I am not likely to go nuts with mods.

This is my responsible, practical car, after all. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a "ricer" or a "racer" so I am not likely to go nuts with mods.

This is my responsible, practical car, after all.
Ya I'm not planning to make it a race car, just a few tasteful mods. Exhaust, Maybe gauges, intake. Its replacing my daily driver which is a dodge diesel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just put my down payment

I just went to my local dealer. Here is what I got.

08 5-door, 5-speed.
Short Shifter, Auto-dimming mirror, cargo net, bumper cover.

The sticker MSRP was about 28,500. He showed me the dealer invoice and said he can give it to me at his cost.

$26767.00 Plus tax+Lic.

Don't think I could have done any better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went to my local dealer. Here is what I got.

08 5-door, 5-speed.
Short Shifter, Auto-dimming mirror, cargo net, bumper cover.

The sticker MSRP was about 28,500. He showed me the dealer invoice and said he can give it to me at his cost.

$26767.00 Plus tax+Lic.

Don't think I could have done any better.
Is that for the WRX with premium package? I recall reading about people getting it for a little under 25,000 and if you factor in the options maybe 25,500 would be a good price. If you can go to other dealers or send in online inquiries through the dealer webpages and work with someone in the internet sales teams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is that for the WRX with premium package? I recall reading about people getting it for a little under 25,000 and if you factor in the options maybe 25,500 would be a good price. If you can go to other dealers or send in online inquiries through the dealer webpages and work with someone in the internet sales teams.
It definitely pays to shop around; we got our '08 5 door WRX base for $23400 (with a few minor options like center console, cargo tray, bumper cover, etc). I think that it was like $1200 under dealer invoice. Definitely go through the internet fleet manager, you bypass alot of the dealer BS that way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Crap!!! I am supposed to pick-up tommorrow.

Any suggestions on what I can or should do.

I still feel that invoice is a fair price. But of course I don;t want to pay more then I should.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Crap!!! I am supposed to pick-up tommorrow.

Any suggestions on what I can or should do.

I still feel that invoice is a fair price. But of course I don;t want to pay more then I should.
did you put down a deposit yet? if so, you may have to be willing to give it up and shop around. If you didn't, walk in there tomorrow and say you were able to get a better price of X amount maybe like 26,000 and you need them to beat it, expect them to say no and walk out. Feel them down at this point and try to work something out. Of course it all depends on how badly you want the car, if you are happy with the car and don't mind paying that price, just take it and enjoy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All I left was $100.

Obviously I am willing to lose that. But they did have to bring the car in from another dealership. I wanted the Pearl White. I am supposed to pick up tomorrow.

Who knows. Maybe I will just take it and just ask to throw in a few more items... Like maybe a ski rack and ipod connector.

I know everyone needs to make a buck. Not looking to rob anyone here. I should also note that the dealer right from the start said he would give me a good price. And he offered invoice. I just assumed that this was a good price since emunds.com said the average price was about 1k under msrp.

I will let you know tomorrow.

BTW, how many miles on the odo is acceptable? Since they had to bring this car in from another dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All I left was $100.

Obviously I am willing to lose that. But they did have to bring the car in from another dealership. I wanted the Pearl White. I am supposed to pick up tomorrow.

Who knows. Maybe I will just take it and just ask to throw in a few more items... Like maybe a ski rack and ipod connector.

I know everyone needs to make a buck. Not looking to rob anyone here. I should also note that the dealer right from the start said he would give me a good price. And he offered invoice. I just assumed that this was a good price since emunds.com said the average price was about 1k under msrp.

I will let you know tomorrow.

BTW, how many miles on the odo is acceptable? Since they had to bring this car in from another dealership.

Well, go ahead and call the fleet managers at a couple other dealerships and see what they can do for you (it only takes a few minutes), if you get a better offer go for it. Invoice (or a little under) is generally a fair price in most circumstances, but the more of it you can keep in your pocket the better and I think that there are a lot of dealers out there that are dying to unload cars. When we bought our WRX in December, the F&I chick said that they had the biggest month over month sales decline that they have seen since 2001. Good Luck!

V

·
0 Posts
If you have not signed yet, then negotiations still on. Internet fleet managers are the way to go. i got mine for 23,xxx(can't remember the exact number right now) Is not premium package, but it came with center arm extention, mudgards. I first negotiated the window tint, and then continued to negotiate the foglamps and paint protection Zxylon(sp?). At first they told me they could not give anything else. They said they already gave me the window tint, and they could not go any lower. I told them I was not happy yet, and the only way to be happy every time i entered my car was by getting the fog lamps and paint protection. After two weeks of them calling me to sign the deal, I agreed only when I was happy enough to sign.

If you don't get the car from them, they'll return your deposit. It is illegal if they keep it. Plus, you won't be robbing anyone. Dealerships get rebates, incentives, etc which they don't share with the buyer, unless they are obligated to use them. this is all profit for them, if you don't play your cards well. I'm friends with a car sales man, and he told me about the crazy things they do to get juicy profits. 85% of all people pay whatever they say the car costs. I'll let you go and marinate on that though for a second.

If you have already sign, please do not let the above make you feel bad. The czar is well worth it. I love every inch of mine. This cars really turns you on all the time :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just picked it up! Dealer went for 26500. With premium package and some other little accessories. I know not the best price. But i am very happy with the car.

I got the pearl white wagon. Thanks for all your input. Now to decide what MAP to go with.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Just picked it up! Dealer went for 26500. With premium package and some other little accessories. I know not the best price. But i am very happy with the car.

I got the pearl white wagon. Thanks for all your input. Now to Break it in properly, take it easy and protect my warranty
Fixed..

Don't become a statistic son. Word!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I got the pearl white wagon. Thanks for all your input. Now to decide what MAP to go with.
Any pics??? I have not found any pearl white wagons in my area to look at, and I'm pretty sure thats the color I want. Thanks

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
If you are paying invoice, that is still a pretty good deal.

Remember, in 6 months, you wont remember or care what you paid for the car. You will enjoy the vehicle, how you feel when you drive it and even look at it. It is a lot easier to buy a car at even MSRP and LOVE the vehicle rather than by a car $2000 back of dealer net cost and not really even smile when you are behind the wheel.

Buying any Subaru is a pretty good deal. They dont offer dealer cash on the 08 Impreza models so be happy with your deal, no matter if it is slightly over invoice, at invoice or a little under.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Remember, in 6 months, you wont remember or care what you paid for the car.
Sorry Seth, but I can't go along with that. Using that logic, we should just forget haggling for a good price, or searching for the best deal, and give the dealer his jacked up price, because we'll "forget about it in 6 months". That's just silly finance.

I have the view that in 6 months, I'll be driving what is now a depreciated used car, so I damned well better get the best deal I possibly can up front.

Oh, and I for one would not forget it in 6 months if I was ripped off; and wouldn't buy from that dealer ever again. :tongue:

(not saying that any poster in this thread is being ripped off..just speaking in generalities)

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Sorry Seth, but I can't go along with that. Using that logic, we should just forget haggling for a good price, or searching for the best deal, and give the dealer his jacked up price, because we'll "forget about it in 6 months". That's just silly finance.

I have the view that in 6 months, I'll be driving what is now a depreciated used car, so I damned well better get the best deal I possibly can up front.

Oh, and I for one would not forget it in 6 months if I was ripped off; and wouldn't buy from that dealer ever again. :tongue:

(not saying that any poster in this thread is being ripped off..just speaking in generalities)

im not saying that haggling isnt a good thing. I am saying if it comes down to just a couple hundred dollars difference to get the car you want, you wont ever remember it.

the bigger more important pictures is that If a few hundred dollars is making the difference between if you can afford it or not, you are looking at the wrong vehicle.

I couldnt tell you what I paid for any of my vehicles except the most recent one last month.

The average person usually wont remember what they paid for the car 2 yrs down the line. I can ask nearly any of my customers that come into service after 1 year or more of owning it and ask them what they paid and they wont know. They might have a couple guesses, but couldnt pin down a number.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
the bigger more important pictures is that If a few hundred dollars is making the difference between if you can afford it or not, you are looking at the wrong vehicle.
Who's talking about "affording" anything? I was raised that you set a budget for what you can afford, select the car within that budget that is the best fit, then haggle for the best deal to save what you can. I stand by what I said.

I couldnt tell you what I paid for any of my vehicles except the most recent one last month.
Well sure; you'd need 100TB of storage space to remember all the purchase prices for all of the vehicles that you've bought. :tongue:

The average person usually wont remember what they paid for the car 2 yrs down the line.
Ah, now you're cheating. We were talking about 6 months, not 2 years. You can't change the rules in mid-game, ya know. :)

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Who's talking about "affording" anything? I was raised that you set a budget for what you can afford, select the car within that budget that is the best fit, then haggle for the best deal to save what you can. I stand by what I said.

Well sure; you'd need 100TB of storage space to remember all the purchase prices for all of the vehicles that you've bought. :tongue:

Ah, now you're cheating. We were talking about 6 months, not 2 years. You can't change the rules in mid-game, ya know. :)

100TB? That's a lot of memory. I almost bought a 1TB external the other day. Just to store pictures of the kid, movies, etc on.

the average customer wont remember their true purchase price by their first oil change. They want a good deal, just like everyone else, and once the pricing gets in that range, regardless of it is $500 over invoice of $800 below, they accept it and move on.

They usually have an amount in mind and when/if the dealer gets in their range of what they had in mind, they accept and purchase.

being happy with the vehicle is the most important thing. If you are happy with the vehicle, you will keep it longer, which will help in equity when you do get rid of it.

as for picking out a vehicle in the budget to being with, you would certainly be surprised at the people that come in thinking they can buy a $28k WRX for $300 per month with bad credit, and/or $4k upside down in the trade, and/or no money down for 60 months.

They get a payment they want and just go find the car they like and feel like because that is their level of affordability, that is what they can get it for. It is just math, not magic and we are just a car dealership, not a magical show.

They just dont think thru what they are doing or saying. Most dont come in with any budget in mind. they go out to get the vehicle they want, then as they are looking at the $29k Wrangler Unlimited Sahara say "but I want a $350 payment". My reply is usually, "Great! Let's go look at this used Grand Cherokee and this used 2 door Wrangler that will fit that payment" People sometimes just dont think when they are car shopping. They dont plan a payment/budget, dont really have a clue sometimes what they want. I had a guy a couple weeks ago looking to buy either a WRX or a dodge Ram. in my mind, I was thinking, WTF. people dont always compare "apples to apples" in their car shopping. it just boggles my mind sometimes.

I think i have seen/heard it all in the car business sometimes (14yrs in the business) and every week I hear something new.

Some think we have $8k markup in an Impreza. please. There is less than $1000 markup in a non turbo impreza. STI's start at around $1900 in markup and they have a little more as you get more expensive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts