ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on autotrader i just saw a 2004 wrx sti with 53k miles for 11k.

this is what the person told me... do u think its a scam?

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Nicole Leyva wrote:

Hi
I have attached you some photos. I will be back in August this year but we can close the transaction safe for both of us through eBay.
I'm offering you a secure deal and the car will be inspected on arrival by eBay staff. You'll receive the car papers along with the car!

Here is how the process works:

- you give me your shipping address,
- I start a transaction on eBay Motors,
- they send you the payment instructions,
- you send the money into eBay trust account,
- they confirm me that they received the funds,
- I ship the car,
- you receive the car,
- they send me the money.

They will hold the money until the car is delivered to you, with properly executed title. You will have 5 days for inspection. If the car is not like described you will have to ship it back in 30 business days on my expense, but I am sure that you will love it.

In order to move forward I will need your full name and address.

EBay will get in touch with you for further details and instructions.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM, joey blank wrote:

oh so thats why you have not answered your phone.

I'm interested in buying the car, can i get some more pictures please, i have cash ready also. when will you be getting back from the trip? if i buy this i would like to come look at it first since I'm close by. email me back and hopefully we can do business!

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Nicole Leyva <[email protected]> wrote:

The car is in excellent condition. It has no scratches and has never been involved in an accident. The car was always garaged.
Unfortunately now I'm in a business trip in Europe and I can't meet you to show you the car, but I can send you more pictures.
If you have any question regarding the car please e-mail them to me!
If you like the car and you want to buy it, contact me and we will discuss the terms.

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:40 PM, wrote:

***VEHICLE LEAD***

The following lead was generated from AutoTrader.com's web site at []Used Cars, New Cars, Buy a Car, Sell a Car, Car Dealers - AutoTrader.com[/url]. The listing is provided by AutoTrader magazine.
To view the vehicle, click the link below:

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Subaru
Model: Impreza
Year: 2004
Price: 11100
Mileage: 51231
Body Style: Sedan
Color: Blue
Cylinders: 4 Cylinder Turbo
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Doors: Four Door
Stereo: Unavailable
VIN: JF1GD70624L509274
Description: 2004 WRX STi with 51231 miles in WR Blue and Silver rims. Tires were replaced last fall/winter there are maybe 1-2 thousand miles on them. There has not been many upgrades to the car but there is a typhoon air intake, Blitz BOV, a in dash touch screen cd/dvd player, and Sparco racing seat belts. This has been and adult owned and driven car and now sits more in the garage than driven.The car is in very good condition overall, the car was always garaged and maintained with care. Turbo charged 2.5L Engine.

·
2,457 Posts

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Nicole Leyva wrote:

Hi
I have attached you some photos. I will be back in August this year but we can close the transaction safe for both of us through eBay.
I'm offering you a secure deal and the car will be inspected on arrival by eBay staff. You'll receive the car papers along with the car!

Here is how the process works:

- you give me your shipping address,
- I start a transaction on eBay Motors,
- they send you the payment instructions,
- you send the money into eBay trust account,
- they confirm me that they received the funds,
- I ship the car,
- you receive the car,
- they send me the money.

They will hold the money until the car is delivered to you, with properly executed title. You will have 5 days for inspection. If the car is not like described you will have to ship it back in 30 business days on my expense, but I am sure that you will love it.

In order to move forward I will need your full name and address.

EBay will get in touch with you for further details and instructions.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM, joey blank wrote:

oh so thats why you have not answered your phone.

I'm interested in buying the car, can i get some more pictures please, i have cash ready also. when will you be getting back from the trip? if i buy this i would like to come look at it first since I'm close by. email me back and hopefully we can do business!

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Nicole Leyva <[email protected]> wrote:

The car is in excellent condition. It has no scratches and has never been involved in an accident. The car was always garaged.
Unfortunately now I'm in a business trip in Europe and I can't meet you to show you the car, but I can send you more pictures.
If you have any question regarding the car please e-mail them to me!
If you like the car and you want to buy it, contact me and we will discuss the terms.

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:40 PM, wrote:

***VEHICLE LEAD***

The following lead was generated from AutoTrader.com's web site at []Used Cars, New Cars, Buy a Car, Sell a Car, Car Dealers - AutoTrader.com[/url]. The listing is provided by AutoTrader magazine.
To view the vehicle, click the link below:

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Subaru
Model: Impreza
Year: 2004
Price: 11100
Mileage: 51231
Body Style: Sedan
Color: Blue
Cylinders: 4 Cylinder Turbo
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Doors: Four Door
Stereo: Unavailable
VIN: JF1GD70624L509274
Description: 2004 WRX STi with 51231 miles in WR Blue and Silver rims. Tires were replaced last fall/winter there are maybe 1-2 thousand miles on them. There has not been many upgrades to the car but there is a typhoon air intake, Blitz BOV, a in dash touch screen cd/dvd player, and Sparco racing seat belts. This has been and adult owned and driven car and now sits more in the garage than driven.The car is in very good condition overall, the car was always garaged and maintained with care. Turbo charged 2.5L Engine.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,451 Posts
How much do other similar cars sell for? How does the description of what will happen if you send this person money differ from what happens during any genuine transaction on eBay?

Do you think it's a scam? Let's say 50 different people on this forum respond that they actually believe that eBay has staff that inspect items and that it's a good idea to buy something sight unseen "in August." What then? Or, what if 100 people respond that this is somehow not a scam?

I'm trying to figure out the response number threshold that'd make this believable.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts

·
Peachypumpkincheeks
5,821 Posts
Yeah, sorry man, it's a blatant scam! If it smells like a fish, looks like a fish, and sounds like a fish, it ain't chicken!

Can you link us the Autotrader post so we can report the scam, if you haven't done so yourself already? Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I doubt it's a scam. You should definitely go ahead with the deal. Pretty good find, not a lot of people are able to save $10,000 off the price of an STi! Wish I had seen it first.
Who in their right mind will drop $10000 off a price for an STi when knowing full well that people are buying these things left and right for prices above book value????? This whole thing has SCAM SCAM SCAM written all over it.

Do you know how many bogus ebay links are out there. Ebay staff will not inspect She eye IT! PERIOD! All ebay does is set a place to market and sell goods. After the auction is ended, it's up to the seller and buyer. Ebay leaves it at that.

These scam artists are good. They probably made a bogus autotrader page to make it seem even more legit. Just walk away from this one. Get it touch with someone from Ebay to see is this buying process if even legit through them. If she sends you links to "help you out" don't go to them.

All ends with if it is too good to be true, then it more than likely is!

There is very very very very slight possibility that this is legit. But she is doing alot of "traveling" while trying to sell this car with no one back inthe states to help out with the sale. She is in Europe on a business trip so you can't see the car.... when will she be back? Set up a date to go see the car if you are close to it like you asked. If they can't set a date or they do and then cancel...Walk away.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i had a similar offer on yahoo autos back this past winter. it was a 2000 yukon denali or somthin and the ones i was lookin at were from 10-15k and this one was listed at like 6k. the deal was strikingly similar cuz he said i'd send the money to yahoo autos trust fund, then he'd ship the car for 5 days to have mechanics look at it, and if i didnt like it, he would pay to ship it back. only thing different was he was deployed in iraq or somthing and the car was in pennsylvania somewhere. so i'd say probably a scam.

EDIT 400 posts!

·
Peachypumpkincheeks
5,821 Posts

Hi
This thread is still on my mind and still bothering me. The biggest red flag that no one pointed out is that the OP found this deal on Autotrader and they want to close the deal through eBay?!?!?! :screwy::screwy: Autotrader and eBay are not partners. Me thinks the scammer is lazy, and listed the car on several sites, but only has one generic response email, probably because he/she gets the biggest hits on eBay.

When it doubt, check this out:
Welcome to the 419 Eater

Oh and gratz Tmann

·
2,457 Posts
This thread is still on my mind and still bothering me. The biggest red flag that no one pointed out is that the OP found this deal on Autotrader and they want to close the deal through eBay?!?!?! :screwy::screwy: Autotrader and eBay are not partners. Me thinks the scammer is lazy, and listed the car on several sites, but only has one generic response email, probably because he/she gets the biggest hits on eBay.

When it doubt, check this out:
Welcome to the 419 Eater

Oh and gratz Tmann
blarg ftmfw!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my first car im trying to buy outside of a dealer. I had no idea if ebay did that kinda stuff or not. Im looking for a 03 bugeye if you see any lemme know.
thanks guys

·
2,457 Posts
This is my first car im trying to buy outside of a dealer. I had no idea if ebay did that kinda stuff or not. Im looking for a 03 bugeye if you see any lemme know.
thanks guys
were just glad you came here first! kudos to you for that :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts