Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to upgrade my daily driver and I’ve been looking into a 2018 WRX, I just want to get some opinions from people that use the WRX for their daily and have kids.. I have two young kids so right now I still have 2 car seats to deal with, they won’t be in there too often as their mother has a SUV, but for the times I will need to haul them around, I want them and myself to be comfortable.. right now I’m driving a Chevy Aveo so it’s a pretty damn tight fit for them back there, pain in my ass just getting my sons seatbelt buckled in. I’ve considered getting an SUV but I want something I’ll enjoy driving everyday as I hate driving my ****ty Aveo and it depresses me. I’ve picked the WRX for the looks, four doors, AWD, still fun to drive and the price. So before I go and pull the trigger on one next weekend, I would just like to hear any pros and cons from anyone who has to haul children around in theirs.. only mods I will probably be doing (at least for a few years) would be lowering it, wheels, exhaust and tint. Thanks in advanced to anyone who responds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely the best upgrade you'll ever do in your life. Plenty of room to fit 2 car seats. The aveo is way tinier. Please get a manual, cvt does no justice. Your kids will love you for hauling them in the WRX in style. Bought a '17 WRX back on 01/10, couldn't be any happier. I just itch to drive it. The mpg is gonna be lower compared to the aveo, but that shouldn't matter, the fun is all worth it. Best of luck in your acquisition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
Funnest people hauler ever.

Well, a Tesla Model S in Ludicrous mode wouldn't be bad, but $$$...

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you're looking for comfort, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a luxury interior, look elsewhere. If you're looking for power, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a punchy, AWD economy sedan that handles like it's on rails, you've found it!

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
I do not haul kids in car seats, but my teenage kids love it. I do find, though, that the rear doors open really wide. At first I thought they were sort of normal when they hit the apparent stop-point of opening. But then I gave a little more push and they go another few inches making for nice easy access into the back seats. I have ridden in the back seat while my son drives and I find it a smoother ride back there than in the front passenger seat for some reason I still cannot figure out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you're looking for comfort, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a luxury interior, look elsewhere. If you're looking for power, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a punchy, AWD economy sedan that handles like it's on rails, you've found it!
I was going to say something similar as well but wanted someone else to take the first swing. Personally, if you will consider used I go Golf R or maybe an Audi S3. Better interior, softer and less harsh over bumps similar performance and price. If new is the only option, it's hard to bear the WRX but I just personally wouldn't subject young kids to this suspension

·
Registered
16 Posts
My kids (9 and 12) love the car. If your kids are still in boosters or rear-facing car seats they might not love the stiff ride of the WRX. I daily drive this car around 120 miles a day (well, on the days I need to go into the office) and I've never driven a daily driver that I actually look forward to driving to and from work.

Pros of the car:
1. Decent highway fuel economy (I get right around 30 on my daily commute with an average speed of around 72-75).
2. Enough of a punch to keep tailgaters off me or to slide through a small opening in traffic
3. Excellent braking for those that would cut you off in traffic or those sudden "ghost" stops
4. Brings a smile to my face almost daily when that turbo kicks in or I take an interchange at 70 MPH while everyone else is slowing down to 50 or 45.

Cons
1. Stiff suspension can be an issue if roads aren't well maintained in your area. I pass through a couple of areas where I feel like I'm being rubbed over a washboard.
2. Every Honda, Mitsubishi, and V6 Camero owner wants to try to race you.
3. Road noise can be a bit much at times, especially when listening to music on the...
4. Lackluster radio which has to be run around 50-60% to hear music decently.
5. Terrible in-town gas mileage for short trips. A 3 mile trip in town usually nets me around 14-16 MPG.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
3,818 Posts
I get better mileage in mine 25 mpg combined 29-32 highway and mines only got 2100 miles. I drove an 03 for the last 13 years and the 18 is much more civilized. The interior was better insulated thia year and thicker glass so they aren’t as Road noisy.

Rear facing car seat sucks I have 6 months until I can turn it around but until then there isn’t a lot of passenger room

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My kids love the STi, especially my 6 year old son, he's like "Daddy go faster!!!" every time I drive him to school, and he loves the spoiler of course!
My daughter says I should paint it pink : /

I think it makes a great "in a pinch" family car, assuming your wife already has an suv. We usually take the Forester XT, but once in a while when we need to the STi does just fine. Certianly a better option than your current micro machine death trap!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Remembering back to my time as a kid, and to when my kids were small, I don't remember the thought ever coming up that the ride was too harsh or sporty or noisy, and we really would have preferred is a quieter, smoother ride. And don't mash on the gas that much, Dad...

They're kids--they'll ride in whatever you drive. (Or they'll walk! LOL...) The only issues are safety and convenience, and IMO the WRX has both of them.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
3,818 Posts
When I was little my parents had a 911 and a truck, neither were close to as convienent as the WRX.

·
Registered
555 Posts
We rode around in a . . .

a) Ford Fairlane (I think) station wagon . . . which pretty much meant a lot of hopping back and forth from the back seat to the cargo area and back again, waving at the drivers following us and a whole lot of tom foolery (and of course this was in the day before mandatory child seatbelt laws, much less car seats.)

b) a rusted out Dodge Aspen which my father "fixed" by using mother's bed sheets and Bondo to replace the rusted out front fenders and a manual choke similar to what one find on a 1950s vintage tractor.

c) Dodge Omni which seemed to be in the shop more often than it was on the road . . . and that's fine anyways since it was a bit cramped for a family of five.

·
Registered
586 Posts
In the late 60's my Dad got a '56 or '57 Ford Belair, which sounds cool but was really kind of beat. No rear seatbelts, no AC, heater didn't really work, not comfortable. He then traded it in for...a '67 Mercury Marquis, which was the coolest car ever. (Think of Green Hornet.) Had AC, power seats...

Then the energy crisis hit and he got a Datsun 500 wagon. Not a pleasant ride by any stretch, but that's what I learned to drive a stick on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fitting 2 carseats won't be a problem. I have been able to properly install 3 carseats in the rear of mine.

Also, the 2015+ WRXs have a longer wheelbase then the previous gen, which they used to extend the rear leg room, so for a compact car, it really has decent rear leg room.

My biggest complaints about the WRX as a daily driver is the harsh suspension, and the horrible/inconsistent powerband, thanks to the horrible stock tune.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I drove a 2 door 04 GTO Manual for the first 10 years of my son's life. When I put a rear facing car seat in the back I had to move the passenger seat as far forward as it would go making it useless. Getting him in and out before he could do so under his own power was a circus act. BUT the car was a blast to drive and he learned to love the exhaust and acceleration. As someone earlier said, kids dont have an opinion, they tolerate what you make them tolerate.

I agree with most of the comments people are making regarding the 15+ WRX but maybe take some with a grain of salt.

I test drove an 18 STI Limited to compare to my 17 NON STi Limited a few days ago.
the 18 is a lot quieter inside than the 17. Far less road noise.
I think the HK stereo is significantly better than the standard radio (IMO)
The 18 STI did not seem any harsher than my 17 wrx. In fact it felt a bit more substantial and seemed to take the bad roads with more ease than the 17. Totally not what I expected, in a good way

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
:pedobear2: Have you considered a Golf R? :pedobear2:

Reactions: unseen
1 - 20 of 39 Posts