Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my situation. I found a clean, low mileage 06 WRX for sale online in Japan. They want $8000 including shipping costs etc. Does anyone have any experience with importing cars? Is it possible to buy this and import it as a daily driver? It was a car that was manufactured and sold in the US, so as far as I know, there shouldn't be any emmisions issues etc. Can anyone help me out and let me know what to watch for, and any extra fees?

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
Buying a car you can't physically test drive, look at in person, and take to your trusted mechanic for inspection it's a bad idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
16,110 Posts
How did it get in Japan?

No WRX since the dawn of time has been manufactured in the USA.

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
I think you are confusing the fact that it is a JDM WRX vs a USDM WRX. We don't import them back over there, and bringing on of theirs here is not a bargain. You do that with a Skyline, not a WRX. I can't tell you what all the hoops are, but you aren't getting that car here for any reasonable sum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you are confusing the fact that it is a JDM WRX vs a USDM WRX. We don't import them back over there, and bringing on of theirs here is not a bargain. You do that with a Skyline, not a WRX. I can't tell you what all the hoops are, but you aren't getting that car here for any reasonable sum.
Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said manufactured in the US :sleep: I just was curious as to whether or not it would be worth it. The car only has 5k miles on it and looks like its in great shape, so I was hoping the $8k price tag would be close to the total I would pay for it. I don't have any experience with importing, and wasn't sure if the 25 year role applied to cars that were sold in the US.

Under 25 years old unless it's some one of a kind collector vehicle I don't believe you can.

I feel like I've heard somewhere that you can import cars that aren't 25 years old if there was a USDM version of it and it passed emissions etc, but I'm not sure about the details of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said manufactured in the US I just was curious as to whether or not it would be worth it. The car only has 5k miles on it and looks like its in great shape, so I was hoping the $8k price tag would be close to the total I would pay for it. I don't have any experience with importing, and wasn't sure if the 25 year role applied to cars that were sold in the US.

I feel like I've heard somewhere that you can import cars that aren't 25 years old if there was a USDM version of it and it passed emissions etc, but I'm not sure about the details of it.
I don't believe that's true. It would have to be made for the us market, exported, them reimported. You should be able to use the googlefu to get a clearer answer. There are a hand full of folks who have imported eligible gtrs and you may find something on their forum.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,807 Posts
Let's assume that you can easily import the car.

WHY?!

You've not clarified what model the car is, JP or US or "world" or EU or what. It doesn't matter though. Break it down logically: The US model 2006 is a better car than the other export models, or the JP model. You can buy a US model... in the US!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's assume that you can easily import the car.

WHY?!

You've not clarified what model the car is, JP or US or "world" or EU or what. It doesn't matter though. Break it down logically: The US model 2006 is a better car than the other export models, or the JP model. You can buy a US model... in the US!
It's a JDM 06 WRX base, and I would want to import it to the US. The only reason I'm considering this is because it is such low mileage for such a low price, and was trying to figure out the catch.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,807 Posts
The catch is you can't import it.
That's the best thing about that car. Saves a lot of trouble for nothing.

The lights and engine are wrong. I'd say the steering is on the wrong side too -- primarily because the steering is on the wrong side -- but then again that makes the car potentially useful for delivering mail (though not much else).

If I were a private citizen and not a postmaster, instead of trying to import rubbish I'd go buy a WRX locally. It'll come with the correct equipment and be a better car out of the box.

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
That's the best thing about that car. Saves a lot of trouble for nothing.

The lights and engine are wrong. I'd say the steering is on the wrong side too -- primarily because the steering is on the wrong side -- but then again that makes the car potentially useful for delivering mail (though not much else).

If I were a private citizen and not a postmaster, instead of trying to import rubbish I'd go buy a WRX locally. It'll come with the correct equipment and be a better car out of the box.
If I'm not mistaken there is no diagnostic equipment common in the states for that vehicle either. So, modifying is out unless you want to rewire the car, and getting any mechanic in the us to work on it, source parts or diagnose problems would be a no go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts