ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flipping through my pegasus catalog the other day and was looking in the brake section... anyway I had an idea. make a custom brake kit for front and maybe rear

Only problem I have come across (aside from caliper bracket) are rotors since I would need a certain disc width which is different from the stock diameter and any other aftermarket rotors that I can find.

here's a link http://outlawdiscbrakes.com/4000XD.html

Also I found out a guy in orlando did this, but I haven't been able to contact him lately...

·
Registered
218 Posts
The brackets wouldn't be too hard. Adapting the brake line wouldn't be too bad either. The rotors shouldn't be a problem as long when you run low on pad you don't overextend the pistons. I doubt that would be a problem.

·
Registered
218 Posts
BTW how much do those run?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Putting together a "custom" kit takes a fair amount of planning and I'd be suprised if there were much in the way of savings in the end. The bracket will be one off design someone has to do- and it needs to be spot on- you'd want a very competent person behind this portion of the project.

Selecting calipers/rotors need to take in clearance issues- there is only X amount of room and many calipers/rotors aren't going to work. You also have to pay very close attention to brake bias- piston diameters, rotor diamter,etc will affect bias and you want to make sure your not adversly affecting it.

It can be done, but it takes some good planning and lots of homework.

If you go forward w/ it I'd very interested in your progress.

Big Sky

·
Registered
888 Posts
If I was making a custom brake kit I wouldn't want to use calipers that had pistons that large. You could get some custom made 2-piece coleman rotors if you really wanted to do it. They should be able to make you rotors in any width and diameter that you want but you'd have to make sure that the hat was the correct size.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake bias is something that I was very concerned about. And them member that has already done this is BDR and he said he was going to fab more brackets and maybe sell them.

calipers run around 200 a piece, but thats for the 4000's which i think are the most expensive.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Is it my imagination (could easily be:)) or do those look like Wilwood calipers- the design/shape seems very similar?

Big Sky

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was looking at Jegs online catalog and they have the Wilwood forged dynalite calipers for $117.00.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Stump said:
I was looking at Jegs online catalog and they have the Wilwood forged dynalite calipers for $117.00.
Yeah, using those I WOULD save some money....

I could just go 4pot/fr and 2pot/r

I couldn't find a link to coleman to get any info on getting custom rotors, but I would guess the rotors from wilwood's kit would work fine, just a matter of buying them separately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts