ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 2006 WRX TR and i'm looking to upgrade the suspension? I want to increase handling and was thinking i need to do sways, sway endlinks and all the bushings. i have 70000 miles on her and i'm thinking that replacing the struts and springs is a good idea also, i'm not really sure if i should go with coilovers for the performance or if i should sacrifice a little there and stay with current setup and jsut get better quality.

Would love feedback and any suggestions you guys can think of. thanks alot

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,205 Posts
What is your total budget?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,205 Posts
That gives you a lot of options; however also note that from a practical point of view, that amount is nearly 1/3 the car's resale value -- or it will be soon enough. It's a lot of money and you may not want to throw it at an aging chassis.

If you do not participate in closed circuit events you can safely skip coilovers in my view. If you do participate in such events, spend at least half the money on a quality setup. Look for a TUV approval etc.

Otherwise, you can go with your choice of springs plus Konis or Kayabas or Tokicos. I'd say drop as little (as low) as possible, and pay attention to rates so that you don't bounce around. You could contact RCE for various options. Figure in top hats I'm guessing at this point. They'll have complete solutions for you; be sure to be very honest and specific with your intentions for the car, it's to your benefit.

Once you get the car sprung and damped well, you may not even want bars, or you may want just a rear bar. If your budget were lower I'd say start with bars, but since it's higher, look into quality components for the struts and see how you like the car incrementally. The endlinks are worthwhile, if not a must even, if you do bars. The bushings are a pain but if they fight too hard, pay someone to do them too at that point.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Where do you want to increase the handling? Do you do track events? Or you just want an enjoyable daily driver?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I would personally get these: Turn in Concepts - with the RCE Yellow springs and Whiteline Com C's.

With this: Whiteline 02+ WRX and 04 STi 22mm adj. front swaybar
and this: Whiteline 04+ Impreza 24mm Adj. Rear Swaybar

and these: Turn in Concepts
and these: Whiteline 05+ WRX and STi Steering rack bushings

and this: Whiteline Anti-lift Kit - Sport
and this: Kartboy WRX/RS Sedan Endlink Combo

Then maybe this: TiC Super Sexy Suspension

Not sure how much $$ that leaves you with, but after that I would get STi aluminum control arms with new transverse link bushings.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
If you are doing motorsports, be aware of what modifications do to your classing. Things like an ALK can easily outclass you from competition.

Tires / alignment should be your first step. A stock car with high-end tires will do better than a car with twice the amount spent on aftermarket parts running a crappy tire. The OE alignment spec is laughable; a set of camber bolts for the rear and $100 will allow you to dial out some of the less-desired handling characteristics you currently have.

After that, do some Auto-X events with your car in its current form. See where you feel the car is lacking (where you can push your car to the limits in a controlled environment), and make changes from there.

MainFrame said:
I would personally get these: Turn in Concepts - with the RCE Yellow springs and Whiteline Com C's.

With this: Whiteline 02+ WRX and 04 STi 22mm adj. front swaybar
and this: Whiteline 04+ Impreza 24mm Adj. Rear Swaybar

and these: Turn in Concepts
and these: Whiteline 05+ WRX and STi Steering rack bushings

and this: Whiteline Anti-lift Kit - Sport
and this: Kartboy WRX/RS Sedan Endlink Combo

Then maybe this: TiC Super Sexy Suspension

Not sure how much $$ that leaves you with, but after that I would get STi aluminum control arms with new transverse link bushings.
Once you've gotten an idea of where you want to change, many of the parts listed here are great suggestions.

Turn-in Concepts is a great vendor; when you get ready to start modifying, call them up and bounce ideas off Clint/Tony. If they tell you to buy something, do it. I say that because they advise based on being an enthusiast, rather than being a vendor.

Struts: the recent increase in D-Spec prices make me lean towards the Koni Yellow inserts.
Springs: RCE / Swift Spec-R are both solid choices (I have RCE Blacks)
Tophats: Com-C F / Group-N R

Sways: 24mm F / 22mm R is a popular setup. If you get adjustable, you'll also have the ability to run 26 / 24 if you find that 24 / 22 is a little too soft.
Endlinks: Kartboy is the way to go

Mounts / Bushings: Everything. Group-N motor/transmission mounts. Kartboy / TiC trailing arm, rear differential, lateral link, outrigger, transmission crossmember, shifter (front/rear stay, pivot, shift linkage) bushings. Kartboy subframe lockdown bolts. Pitch stop, anything but Group-N (it's half the price of others for a reason).

Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings

ALK: I love mine (Whiteline Sport). As I mentioned, it will kill your motorsport classing, so be aware of this.

Fender Cowl Braces: TiC / Paranoid Fabrications

Brakes: Blank rotors (e.g., Centric), street pads (e.g., StopTech), SS lines (e.g., StopTech / Goodridge), better fluid (ATE SuperBlue), and a master cylinder brace (Grimmspeed / TiC).

Power: If you haven't gotten a custom reflash, consider that. OTS maps like Cobb are nice, but getting a tune custom-tailored to your car is far superior.

There are other things, but everything listed will likely eat up much of your budget. Use the remaining money on driving events (Auto-X, HPDE, etc.) where you can enjoy the car and improve yourself in the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts