ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I wanted some advice on what I should do about my car in order to fetch the most value for it when I sell it in January. Unfortunately, I need to pay off student loans and I will be living in an area where I don't need a car, so I must say good-bye to my 08 WRX Sedan.

I was looking to get about 20,000 (or maybe a little less) from selling the car. I am going to garage it before the end of the summer and it will have approximately 30,000 miles on it. I originally bought the car new in January 2008, and I have been the sole owner and driver. The car is in extremely good condition; the only damage would be scratches on the rims and a few on the interior dash.

The modifications I have put into the car include a Kartboy short shifter, SPT exhaust, and the mesh Subaru sport grille. I plan to replace the front bumper, which is cracked, with a new one before I sell the car - currently I am looking at the VIS front bumper, the original Subaru part is almost as expensive and much more vanilla.

So my question is (which is long), what should I do with my car?

Can I grab 20K for this car currently? If I can't now, is it possible to shoot that high? Would cheap power mods to make it comparable to the 09 engine be a good idea? How much would that cost, and what should I get? Also, is the VIS bumper a good idea? It looks good but I haven't seen it in person, and it's fiberglass.

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You're better off leaving the cracked OEM bumper on there than to put an aftermarket one on, if you're looking for the best resale value. Might be even better off than an OEM replacement...if someone sees you replaced the bumper, they'll wonder if there's additional damage not reported. If they can see the damage to the bumper, assuming it's minor, they should be more comforted about the real extent of it.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
To get the highest resale value out of your car it needs to be 100% stock. Any after market parts will lower your resale value.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have the stock exhaust and shifter in storage, I would be surprised if anyone wanted to put them back on, but I was planning on including them with the car anyway. The car also has two sets of tires; the summers Hankook Ventus which I bought in March 2010, and winter Nokean Hakkapeliittas that I bought January 2009. Is $20,000 possible?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I still have the stock exhaust and shifter in storage, I would be surprised if anyone wanted to put them back on, but I was planning on including them with the car anyway. The car also has two sets of tires; the summers Hankook Ventus which I bought in March 2010, and winter Nokean Hakkapeliittas that I bought January 2009. Is $20,000 possible?

It's not so much that people are really going to want the stock exhaust, it's that people are going to look at the add for the car, see it has aftermarket exhaust on it, then start wondering what else had you done to the car and if it has engine damage from improper tuning/mods.

A lot of people will take a car, mod it out, race the crap out of it, beat on the engine, then put it almost back to stock and sell it like it was never modified. So most educated buyers don't want to purchase a car that looks like it may have been modded. Some people will even want to look at the bolts on your stock exhaust to see if it looks like it has ever been removed.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Just one thing to keep in mind OP...just because you spend money to add things to your car because you like them, doesn't mean someone else will.

A lot of times especially, even if someone wants to mod their car, they want to start with a fresh canvas.

Going back to stock is the best bet for you to get as close to value as you can. I think $20k may be a bit high though coming from a private seller for an 08 WRX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To get the highest resale value out of your car it needs to be 100% stock. Any after market parts will lower your resale value.
I HIGHLY disagree with this. I have personally sold three different vehicles for just above "blue book". I did my research, I wrote up highly detailed Autotrader ads, and didn't settle. Your car is only worth what someone else will pay for it; sell the idea that this car is worth the price and that it fulfills this persons needs of a "sweet ride", and you'll be cashing a check in no time. Don't expect it to happen overnight, but it does sound like you have some time.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,920 Posts
I HIGHLY disagree with this. I have personally sold three different vehicles for just above "blue book". I did my research, I wrote up highly detailed Autotrader ads, and didn't settle. Your car is only worth what someone else will pay for it; sell the idea that this car is worth the price and that it fulfills this persons needs of a "sweet ride", and you'll be cashing a check in no time. Don't expect it to happen overnight, but it does sound like you have some time.
Of course if you don't settle you're going to get closer to your asking price. The problem is, most people with modded cars think that the mod's they have put on make their car worth more. This is not the case. If you put 8k worth of mods into a 12k car you simply have 8k invested in a 12k car. The bottom line being your car is still only worth 12k. Assuming that's the fair market value. You're honestly better off taking the mods off and selling those seperately to recoup the most of what you've put into it. Granted you may have the person that will pay the extra money to get the mods already on. The problem with that being if the car is modded then you have no idea how the car has been driven or if the tune has any issues or if it's even been tuned. Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.

OP you'd probably be better off putting your car back to stock and then telling your buyers that you'll throw in the aftermarket parts for a bit of extra cash.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
Well, it really depends. Minor mods do absolutely nothing to increase value. Though personally, my WRX stock would be worth about $8,000. But not a penny less than $15,000 would get you the title of my car considering the work and parts in it.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts

That's true, some times you will find someone that just likes what they see, but most educated buyers are going to avoid a modified car like the plague. There's always going to be some fool that will pay an extra two grand for a car because it has sweet rims and is slammed to the ground.

Like others said, if you hold out for your asking price you are more likely to get it. But I have seen several modded Impreza's on the market that have been for sale for the last two years because the owner thinks the modifications have made the car more valuable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have never heard of that other before either. It's made by Generic I think. Tiny Giant got one and he seems to like it alot. But I prolly will go for the pioneer, it would be a more flush fit. Looks like the cheaper one sticks out a little bit.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
brfatal said:
Well, it really depends. Minor mods do absolutely nothing to increase value. Though personally, my WRX stock would be worth about $8,000. But not a penny less than $15,000 would get you the title of my car considering the work and parts in it.
I'm sorry, Justin, but you are by far an exception to this rule.

You have extensive knowledge, your car was built with no corners cut, and I'm sure are meticulous with maintenance. If I were to purchase a heavily modified vehicle, yours would be one of the few I would consider, even at a price a decent amount above book value.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I'm sorry, Justin, but you are by far an exception to this rule.

You have extensive knowledge, your car was built with no corners cut, and I'm sure are meticulous with maintenance. If I were to purchase a heavily modified vehicle, yours would be one of the few I would consider, even at a price a decent amount above book value.
That's something to say sorry for? :rotfl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts