ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking into some roof rack options. It looks like Yakima is a very popular brand, and I also often see Thule, but rarely on Subarus.

Do you guys have any suggestions on great deals on roof racks? What type of rack tower should I purchase for our built-in mounting points?

Great Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
I currently have Yakima rack system on my car. I recommend them though they are a little pricy compared to some other brands. Others should chime in to discuss your other options. I don't have much experience with the others, I love my Yakima's.

For a Yakima system you're going to need a set of Landing Pads 11's, Control Towers, Minimum of 48" cross bars. Faring is optional but highly recommended. If you decided to get a faring you're going to need the 44" one. Locking cores are also optional (locks to secure your rack and equipment to your car.). I would recommend getting a minimum of 6 pack lock cores. Four to secure each tower to the landing pads and the two additional ones to secure any Yakima accessories to your cross bars.

As for deals you might have to hunt a little. Our local Scheels and/or REI usually hold sales regularly and have the racks at very competitive prices.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The base rack consisting of Landing Pads, Control Towers, and Crossbars usually go for around $300. The accessories that attach to them vary greatly in price.

They are an expensive investment, but if you go biking, snowboarding, skiing, any outdoor activities a lot then it's very well worth it. I may have already spent about a $1000 on my roof rack. I stopped tracking my car expenses after the zero's kept piling up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The base rack consisting of Landing Pads, Control Towers, and Crossbars usually go for around $300. The accessories that attach to them vary greatly in price.

They are an expensive investment, but if you go biking, snowboarding, skiing, any outdoor activities a lot then it's very well worth it. I may have already spent about a $1000 on my roof rack. I stopped tracking my car expenses after the zero's kept piling up.
Thanks for your valuable info. I might get a set just for a better look for now.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Thanks for your valuable info. I might get a set just for a better look for now.
I kind of did that with my Yakima rack on my 05 STI...I loved the look. But I also do some bike riding, so I do tote my bike around a dozen times a year. So I grabbed one used for $150 and it paid off so far!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts