ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know tires are a hot debate topic for us, similar to politics for the non driver....and I know people ask all the time about tires....I just could not find (and I did search) what I want to know.

I have about 12,500 miles on my Rex, about 9,000 miles of which was on my stock summer tires....I will be needing to buy new summer rubber either late this summer, or for next summer, so I am starting my search now. I am trying to weigh tread life vs performance, vs price (as I know most of us do), but I need some help with my choice. Note that I am also planning on going from 235 to 245 width, so the prices on the ones I am considering are slightly higher than stock sizes. Also note prices are pulled from a few sites, I would of course go with the cheapest store I could find once the tire is chosen. I know some of the tires I have listed below are highly recommended, some I was not able to find much on from our communities, though other enthusiasts like hot rodders like them, which is why I am asking.

I would like to spend less than $200 per tire if possible, but if there is a tire I am not considering which will give great performance and good tread life, please let me know. I am not listing some of the more expensive tires as I don't expect a $350 tire (like the Goodyear Eagle F1) to last twice as long as any of my choices below....I could be wrong though.

I am an aggressive driver, and live in Pittsburgh where it rains a lot, so wet traction is a concern. Some of the selections below are 'summer' tires, and some are 'all season' even though they would only be used for summer use.

I know the list is long....If I am told that a given tire is just plain bad, it will be removed from the running, middle of the road will stay where they are, and positive reviews will get promoted to likely purchase status.

Stock:
Dunlop SP Sport 01 - 280 A A rated, about $240 per tire.

Ones I am considering:
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - 200 A A rated, about $176 per tire
Continental ExtremeContact DW - 340 A A rated, about $146 per tire
Hankook Ventus V12 evo - 280 AA A rated, about $113 per tire
Falken Ziex ZE-512 - 360 A A rated, about $92 per tire
Nitto Motivo - 560 A A rated, about $140 per tire
Cooper Zeon RS3-S - 300 A A rated, about $130 per tire
Cooper Zeon RS3-A - 500 A A rated, about $130 per tire
Falken FK 452 - 300 A A rated, about $130 per tire
Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance - 300 A A rated, about $130 per tire
General G-MAX AS-03 - 480 A A rated, about $132 per tire
Goodyear Eagle GT - 400 A A rated, about $142 per tire

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
reserved for removed/middle-road/possible listings

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Wear ratings aren't always equal; every brand gives their own rating, there is no standard.

I have three recommendations I always give...
Budget: V12 Evo. Not the best dry tire, but great in the wet, and relatively cheap (with MIRs common, as well)
Middle: Dunlop Star Specs. Great dry tire, decent wet, bang/buck.
Top: RE-11s / AD08s. Both tires are exceptional dry, decent wet. Expensive.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
I would consider V12 specifically because of their softer sidewall and increased wear rating.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wear ratings aren't always equal; every brand gives their own rating, there is no standard.

I have three recommendations I always give...
Budget: V12 Evo. Not the best dry tire, but great in the wet, and relatively cheap (with MIRs common, as well)
Middle: Dunlop Star Specs. Great dry tire, decent wet, bang/buck.
Top: RE-11s / AD08s. Both tires are exceptional dry, decent wet. Expensive.
The Bridgestones are out completely.... I had RE-92 on my tC, and they sucked. Not to mention that they were uber expensive at $286 each to replace (back in '05 when I last priced them). I know the other compounds are different, but seeing the lack of performance from that high a cost really burned a bridge for me (pun not really intended).

I would consider V12 specifically because of their softer sidewall and increased wear rating.
The V12 has the same 280 tread rating as the stockers (I know, those numbers don't really mean much). Wouldn't the softer sidewall induce tire roll and decrease lateral movement? I was originally thinking the V12s, but not sure if I would like soft sidewalls....though the price is kind of hard to beat.

·
29,225 Posts
The V12 has the same 280 tread rating as the stockers (I know, those numbers don't really mean much). Wouldn't the softer sidewall induce tire roll and decrease lateral movement? I was originally thinking the V12s, but not sure if I would like soft sidewalls....though the price is kind of hard to beat.
The softer sidewall would be more susceptible to roll, yes, and it would mean that the tyre would move "before" the car itself would move. Soft sidewalls are frowned upon by performance enthusiasts, autoxers, weekend warriors, track day participants, et al.

I love soft sidewalls.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out the Michelin summer tire. Great tread life and good grip.
which Michelin? There are 5 'summer' tires that they make in my size (245/45-17) that are not runflat....and all over $200...which one is worth it?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The softer sidewall would be more susceptible to roll, yes, and it would mean that the tyre would move "before" the car itself would move. Soft sidewalls are frowned upon by performance enthusiasts, autoxers, weekend warriors, track day participants, et al.

I love soft sidewalls.
See, I am more on the performance enthusiast side, so not sure if I would like them all that much. I have a friend that is thinking about getting a set for his MS3, so I will atleast have the ability to somewhat see them in action.

Additionally, I'm worried soft sidewalls + Pottholesburgh will = :cry:

·
29,225 Posts
Pottholes are bad news no matter what, especially with the latest fashion in ultra-thin sidewalls etc. Soft sidewalls are not for everyone and from what you've said you may hate them, yes. Try first.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
which Michelin? There are 5 'summer' tires that they make in my size (245/45-17) that are not runflat....and all over $200...which one is worth it?
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport. This tire is great all round plus the biggest reason I will be getting these when I need them is the tread life your going to get out of them. Your going to have to dish out some money up front but they will last you taken your not going to beat the heck out of them. Also the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 again great tire all round but the tread life will be shorter. What is more important to you OP performance wise or tread life or alittle bit of both?? The v12 also good choice but again tread life not.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am more interested in performance.......but.....

here is the thing....I know I am hard on tires. I accept that. Those Pilot Super Sports are about $225 each. For that price, the tread would need to last almost as long as 2 sets of the 'cheap' tires. I have no issue spending the money, but I don't want to be throwing money away. Are they that good? Will they really last that long?

For all intents and purposes, by the time the stock SP01s are spent, I will have gotten about 10K-12K out of them, almost all of it in summer. Those are $240 tires.....which comes out to $20-$24 per tire per 1000 miles.

On my old tC I ran Falken Ziex ZE-912 ($74 each) and Falken Ziex ZE-512 ($72 each)...prices are in tC size of 205/45-16....and got about 8K miles out of them (each line)....which comes out to $9-$9.25 per tire per 1000 miles.... and with those tires I was burning a lot off in the winter snow as I had them on year round. I didn't get dedicated snow tires till the last year I drove it.

Here is the sudo bottom line for me. I want a tire that is going to grab the road well, both in dry and wet summer conditions (from say April through October, depending on the year)... I have winter tires for winter. If the tires are cheap (say $75-$150), they can be replaced each summer to summer and a half. If they are med-priced (say $160 to $250), they would need to last at least 2 full summers. If they are high-priced (say $260-$330) they better last 3 summers. If they cost more than $330 each, they better come with a fluffer

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
After getting a screw through the sidewall of one of my RE-01s ruining $1250 worth of tire, I'm done buying expensive tires. Only way I will get them is if I ever have the $$ to get into competitive road racing.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I bought the Ventus tires because they were advertised as having a longer tread life than others, but I've found they last just as long (or short) as PS2 or similar tires that have significantly better grip. Of course that's on my Porsche but still they haven't lasted as long as advertised or expected.

For performance tires I still like the Dunlop KDW2 and kind of regret not getting a set for my STI. I went with the Direzza instead just to try something new. I haven't put them on my STI yet though so I don't have any feedback, sorry!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a set of Continental DW on my last car, 08 R32 VW. I would totally buy them again.

Dry grip = excellent. The first 1000-1500 miles grip was really good, but after 5000 miles or so, wow, stuck like a 10,000 mile tire would.

Wet grip = Amazing, brakes and acceleration in the wet was like 95% of dry grip. Amazing wet grip.

Mileage? = I sold the car with 12,000 miles on the tires, and they still had 60% tread. I could see 25, 30K miles on a set.

Cost? = On the lower end of the spectrum

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought the Ventus tires because they were advertised as having a longer tread life than others, but I've found they last just as long (or short) as PS2 or similar tires that have significantly better grip. Of course that's on my Porsche but still they haven't lasted as long as advertised or expected.

For performance tires I still like the Dunlop KDW2 and kind of regret not getting a set for my STI. I went with the Direzza instead just to try something new. I haven't put them on my STI yet though so I don't have any feedback, sorry!
Good to know on the Ventus....don't last longer than others, and don't stick better than others.....but cheap.

It does not seem Donlop makes a 'KDW' tire?

Did you mean these?...

After getting a screw through the sidewall of one of my RE-01s ruining $1250 worth of tire, I'm done buying expensive tires. Only way I will get them is if I ever have the $$ to get into competitive road racing.
Great point I had not thought about....even uber expansive tires are still road hazard damage prone.

[
Right now Michelin offers a $70 mail in rebate when you buy four tires. Also correct me if I'm wrong but in the ultra high performance category an summer tires the Michlen pilot Super sport offers six-year 30,000 mile warranty don't believe other brands offer that
Yeah, I saw that....but it may not be going on when I finally get around to getting my tires bought.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
DemonWRX said:
Good to know on the Ventus....don't last longer than others, and don't stick better than others.....but cheap.
I disagree on the comment about life of the V12s. Mine have significantly more tread than my old RT-615s did at similar mileage; by the time my RT-615s got to the mileage I have on my V12s, the cord was showing (I can probably make it through next summer before needing new summers).

·
29,225 Posts
A friend is using V12s on his two German cars; neither is light and both produce significant power. I suspect he has similar sidewall tastes to mine (soft is good not bad...) but truth be told either of his cars will run circles around any of mine.

See if you can ask around at a meet.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts