Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help with STi Injector install and Perrin Fuel Rail Install.
I have been searching for the fuel rail install but unable to locate anything proper. I think I understand the STi injector install but if anyone has any tips on this and the perrin fuel rails it would be much appreciated.


I found some directions on the injector install from turboxs's website, but should the injector 0-rings be wetted down with gas to get a good seal? or can they just be seated in dry?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
I'm facing the same dilemna you are. I've got a fuel system and have concerns about installing it too.

From my understanding, the O rings are lubricated with a special lubricant but most people use, don't bend over when you do this job, Vaseline.

If you seat them dry, the O rings are nicked and they leak exposing you to the potential of fire in your engine bay. Which sucks. A lot.

You seem to be an adventurous soul. Have you done much shop work in the past?

misterx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
bump.

I sometimes wish some of the more experienced installers would pay more attention to the"help me posts".

I seldom receive responses to such queries while the OT stuff is hammered with posts.

misterx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MisterX said:
I'm facing the same dilemna you are. I've got a fuel system and have concerns about installing it too.

From my understanding, the O rings are lubricated with a special lubricant but most people use, don't bend over when you do this job, Vaseline.

If you seat them dry, the O rings are nicked and they leak exposing you to the potential of fire in your engine bay. Which sucks. A lot.

You seem to be an adventurous soul. Have you done much shop work in the past?

misterx
Thanks for posting.
I have done most of the work on my car myself. Just installed the M2 suspension kit with the kyb struts/m2 springs. Also did the uppipe/exhaust and some other bolt ons, but the fuel system seems to be alot more dangerous than anything else I have done. So I want to make sure I dont skip any steps to it. So far I have a fire extinguisher added to my tools for this job :) ... But if this is over my head then I will pay someone to install it for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
My plans include a professinal install, too. But my statement about a lack of support is still valid.

misterx
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
1,911 Posts
Injectors are easy. I have done a few. It's an hour job at most. Just a lot of bolts to get the rails out but one you do that it's cake. Keep in mind I use stock rails. I'm not in the opinion that the rails should be changed unless perhaps you're going for 600+ HP or something. I can make over 400 Hp on pump gas using the stock rails just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
I'm not replacing the rails - just the injectors and th fuel pump. So, what goes into it? What are the steps that make it easier?

I've read the Turboxs directions and they say the job takes a few hours. Can someone who has no experience doing the exchange do the job? What instruction can you offer?

misterx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
I've never done injectors on a Scooby - but I've thrown in many different sets of injectors in hot-rodded/supercharged 5.0's in the past and I've always had good luck using the ol' Vaseline or assembly lube trick. Anything that can keep them from getting damaged during installation is a good thing...

Aloha,
Richard...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
God said:
Injectors are easy. I have done a few. It's an hour job at most. Just a lot of bolts to get the rails out but one you do that it's cake. Keep in mind I use stock rails. I'm not in the opinion that the rails should be changed unless perhaps you're going for 600+ HP or something. I can make over 400 Hp on pump gas using the stock rails just fine.
After what God said and that is basically what I have heard from a few people I am probably just going to install the injectors with bigger fuel pump and leave it at that.

God - Did you keep the stock FPR?

Thanks
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
1,911 Posts
WRX-Hellfire said:


After what God said and that is basically what I have heard from a few people I am probably just going to install the injectors with bigger fuel pump and leave it at that.

God - Did you keep the stock FPR?
Absolutely. I don't like to play with fuel pressure regulators. I prefer to tune with injector pulsewidth to achieve desired fuel curves. MUCH more accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aussieinstlouis said:
I'm doing mine tomorrow - I'll let you know how I go with the Turbo XS distractions. ;-)

Andrew
How did the install go? Did you use any lube on the injectors when you put them in? The turboxs directions do not mention anything of lube.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
Well - it went OK.

Got them in and I used a generic silicone lube that my mate had hanging around- just a smear. But I would not have described the install as easy. Sure the 94 degree still air in the garage was a contributor, but getting the covers off the fuel rails was the hard bit. You just have to keep taking stuff off (electrical connectors, oils hoses etc - make sure you remember where it all goes) until you can get to all the bolts and then a little Harry Houdini action to get the gurads out of there to allow you to get to the rails.

The three bolts on the rails are easy (make sure for all of this you have extensions and wobble attachments for your sockets!)

Pull up on the rail andthe injectors will come with them, then push the injectors down and clear of the rail. Pop the new injectors into the RAIL first, then align the rail and the injectors with the head.

The first fuel rail bolt to put back in is the one on the front of the engine, then the one closest to the firewall, then the middle - before torquing them down - check that the injectors have aligned properly in their holes.

Then the guards in reverse and make sure you have connected everything back up.

You definitely want the intercooler off to do this and if you still have the stock airbox - remove it (only 2 bolts and so much more access).

I think if I had to do it again - it would take a lot less time, but first time out it took me ages and plenty of cursing. The bolts on the guards are not easy to see - a lot of feeling around.

But Stage 4 is like heaven on a stick!! So I can't complain!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to give an update, I did my injector install. I ended up loosing on of the injectors seals that everyone tells you to watch out for... I was pulling out the stock injector and was trying to be as careful as possible and then I blinked and the seal was gone... never to be found again. I took a flashlight and mirror to my engine bay and never found it. I also took off the passenger side manifold heat shield to try and find it but nodda. After waiting for 2 days for the part I finished up with no problems. Charged the fuel system and no leaks (knock on wood). I have been driving for 3 days now and everything appears to be working fine. I skipped the fuel rail, part due to not thinking I would need it (VF30 is biggest turbo I am probably going to run) and part not knowing how to install the damn rail. I looked at it for about 30 mins but couldnt figure it out.. Oh well... THe fuel rails are now for sale :)

Total time was about 3.5hrs. If I would do it again I am sure like everyone is that it would take alot less time. But then again how often does one do something like this again? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
WRX-Hellfire said:
Just to give an update, I did my injector install. I ended up loosing on of the injectors seals that everyone tells you to watch out for... I was pulling out the stock injector and was trying to be as careful as possible and then I blinked and the seal was gone... never to be found again. I took a flashlight and mirror to my engine bay and never found it. I also took off the passenger side manifold heat shield to try and find it but nodda. After waiting for 2 days for the part I finished up with no problems. Charged the fuel system and no leaks (knock on wood). I have been driving for 3 days now and everything appears to be working fine.
I lost the seal too, but I went through hell finding it again. No fuel leaks w/o the seal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All8up said:


I lost the seal too, but I went through hell finding it again. No fuel leaks w/o the seal?
I had to order a new seal before finishing my install. I did try a 2.5 injector seal but their injectors have a 2 seal setup vs the wrx that has 1 seal. So it did not work ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
I did the turbo install last weekend. Took me two days because it takes four hands to do. It helps to have Skinny Son around. Christ, I love that kid!

But! What other parts do I need to attempt this job? Sounds like seals are in order. Does anyone have part numbers?

Please, let me be clear about this. I'm not a mechanic. In fact, I'm maybe a little worse at this stuff than some of the other guys here. My hands are pretty big. I can't get to some of the stuff you guys can reach with less trouble. I'm what people call a "ham fisted - get a bigger hammer" kind of guy. I've done some pretty challenging work in the past but this one scares me a bit because of the potential of fuel leaks and... fire in the engine bay. Bad JuJu!

The turbo was really tough IMHO. Is this worse? I've never even seen a fuel rail before! (What an admission! I really look like a noob . But I can rebuild a carburetor!)

Pics of how to do this would be nice.

BTW, if I bought a TurboXS kit, and all I got was the direction on their web site, I'd be really pissed! They do an excellent job for us otherwise.

Pics! I need pics!

misterx
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top