Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to raving reviews and their reasonable cost, I will be purchasing Koni Yellow Struts and (most likely) Eibach Pro Springs. What I am confused about it whether or not Koni sells a kit with all 4 struts matched w/ springs (Eibach) and NOT re-using the OEM strut housings.
According to FastWRX.com, Koni now makes the complete Front/Rear Struts. Here is the link:

https://fastwrx.com/collections/shocks-struts/products/koni-yellow-struts-2008-2014-wrx

This kit, however, does not include the matched springs.

TireRack.com sells the Strut/Springs kit but the front struts require cutting the housing. Here's the link:

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension...Door&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=Standard+Model

Anyone wanna chime in as to what would be the best direction to take here? I was thinking ordering the complete struts from FastWRX and the Eibach Pro springs from Tirerack but I'm not sure if the spring rates are the same as the matched Koni Sport kit.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Are you deadset on the Eibach springs? You're buying dampers that have far more capability in them...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just assumed if Koni chose the Eibach springs to go with their Yellow Struts then they would be good enough but I am always open to suggestions. Based on your experience, which springs do you recommend? I use the car as a daily driver but more importantly as a laboratory for my self taught automotive engineering school :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
All Koni's require that you insert into your old strut bodies and I've had Eibach springs on a different car with excellent results but each car is different. If it were me I'd go for it.

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
RCE black springs with my Koni inserts - hard to beat that combination. Rather firm but excellent handling.

All Koni's require that you insert into your old strut bodies and I've had Eibach springs on a different car with excellent results but each car is different. If it were me I'd go for it.
The ones linked are complete struts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're not dead set of the koni/eibach set up, I would recommend a set of KW Variant 1's, I was about ready to pull the trigger on the exact setup you're thinking about, but got a great deal on the mentioned set of coilovers. Even brand new that set of coilovers is just a little bit more expensive than the Koni setup, but is also better with the added ability of height adjustment!

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
WVRex2010 said:
Even brand new that set of coilovers is just a little bit more expensive than the Koni setup, but is also better with the added ability of height adjustment!
With the additional expense of a $100 alignment every time you adjust.

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
=Even brand new that set of coilovers is just a little bit more expensive than the Koni setup, but is also better with the added ability of height adjustment!
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong"

- Colin Chapman

·
Registered
105 Posts
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong"

- Colin Chapman
Height adjustment is all you get with the V1's they come set up from KW, so yes one could most definitely mess it up if they went full low with these coilovers, but most that are about that "stance life yo" are getting BC coils anyway. I believe anyone spending a little more and are getting up into the KW V1's price range care more about the performance aspects. Although I could easily be wrong that's just my opinion on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're not dead set of the koni/eibach set up, I would recommend a set of KW Variant 1's, I was about ready to pull the trigger on the exact setup you're thinking about, but got a great deal on the mentioned set of coilovers. Even brand new that set of coilovers is just a little bit more expensive than the Koni setup, but is also better with the added ability of height adjustment!
From what I hear the KWs are height adjustable only. I am more interested in damping adjustability than height adjustability but thanks for the recommendation!

If I ever pony up the dough for coilovers I'm going to go full retard and convert my suspension/wheels to STI spec then get the Ohlins R&T coilovers. Thats a few dozen really lucky poker nights away though...:(.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
You will be more than pleased with what was recommended here. I wouldn't even worry about coilovers for a daily driver. Inexpensive ones, including the kws will need rebuilt more often than the setup of koni and rce springs, as well as you won't have to worry about the lock nuts coming loose over time and lowering your car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will be more than pleased with what was recommended here. I wouldn't even worry about coilovers for a daily driver. Inexpensive ones, including the kws will need rebuilt more often than the setup of koni and rce springs, as well as you won't have to worry about the lock nuts coming loose over time and lowering your car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Yeah I think coilovers would beat me up too much driving to work everyday. I think I will do the Koni's on stock springs first, then try the RCE Black Springs. I want to only change one variable at a time so it is easier to understand the changes felt in the car. The only thing I am waiting for now is for Koni to release the full strut kit for 13-14 WRX. Thanks for the info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts