Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post - let the n00b bashing begin!

I was looking for recommendation on break pads for my 05 Sti.

I was doing some research and it sounds like OEM might do the trick for what I am looking for but from reading the forums I know a lot of you recommended stoptech, hps, and Posi-Quiet.

This baby is my daily driver and I'd say I'm an aggressive driver, but by no means am I racing Mustangs on 280 or hitting up the track. I may go up to highway 9 every once in a blue moon.

Here is what I am looking for in priority order:

1. Quiet - My current ones (which are probably cheap Chinese) are squeaking and I don't like it one bit.
2. Stopping Power - as long as they get the job done on the street I'm fine. Don't need track use.
3. Clean - If they can not make a mess great. If they are quite and stop great but make a mess, I'll live with it.

Appreciate any recommendations!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Hey Everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post - let the n00b bashing begin!

I was looking for recommendation on break pads for my 05 Sti.

I was doing some research and it sounds like OEM might do the trick for what I am looking for but from reading the forums I know a lot of you recommended stoptech, hps, and Posi-Quiet.

This baby is my daily driver and I'd say I'm an aggressive driver, but by no means am I racing Mustangs on 280 or hitting up the track. I may go up to highway 9 every once in a blue moon.

Here is what I am looking for in priority order:

1. Quiet - My current ones (which are probably cheap Chinese) are squeaking and I don't like it one bit.
2. Stopping Power - as long as they get the job done on the street I'm fine. Don't need track use.
3. Clean - If they can not make a mess great. If they are quite and stop great but make a mess, I'll live with it.

Appreciate any recommendations!
I'd definitely recommend replacing both pads AND rotors with aftermarket.. OEM will cost significantly more and not perform nearly as well. I just replaced my brakes with stoptech sport pads and centric rotors 2 weeks ago. they were pretty inexpensive and do the job.. but since i haven't logged more than 50 miles yet i cant give a good enough review.
as far as your concerns:
1. if you replace both pads and rotors, *****clean any rust and crud built up on the calipers, hubs, etc.. clean the new rotors, grease everything that needs to be greased****** you should be fine.
2. even basic pads and rotors from your local parts store will work well.. judging by your descripton of how you drive.. try at least upgrading to the stoptech pads. I'm happy with mine so far.. but maybe in a year when I log 1000 more miles I'll have a better review.. lol
3. brake dust is part of life

·
Registered
556 Posts
Noob bashing? I think you have this site confused with another WRX-centric website. Folks here, for the most part, are pretty helpful and nice . . . even to noobs.

But if you insist on us bashing you . . . "brakes" . . . not "breaks" . . . unless your WRX brakes break. ;) :_

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out r1concepts for rotors, I've had them on my daily for two years of hilly, mountainous driving in all conditions including salt. No pedal pulse, rust, or noise yet. They seem very solid and their customer support was good to work with.

I've had them on with advance auto platinum brakes. Happy all around.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
OE brake pads are not cheap, and I wouldn't spend that money.

Generally, ceramic pads will dust a little bit at the expense of initial bite. Metallics / Semi-metallics will be a bit dustier, but have better bite all-around.

If you're getting noise on your current brakes, are you sure the pads were properly lubed? It may be the backing plate is causing that noise. If you still have a bunch of life left on the pads, may be worthwhile to pull the pads, re-grease the backing plate and see if that resolves the issue.

Depending on how long it's been since your rotors have been replaced, it may be a good idea to swap them out while you're there. Don't buy anything fancy with these; slotted, drilled, etc. do nothing on a street car, except cost you more money. Something like Centric Premium rotors are a great option.

ACDelco (OE manufacturer for Corvettes) makes a cost-effective set of brake pads for the STI / Evo / 350Z Brembos which are a bit dusty (they're a semi-metallic), and perform similar to the factory Brembo pads. I was also perfectly happy with the Posi-Quiet pads I ran for a while (they're available in both semi-metallic or ceramic).

You're concerned with "Stopping Power". Generally, the benefits of the higher-end pads is the resistance to brake fade, which is pretty difficult to see on public roadways. If you want the car to stop better/faster, buy the best tires you can put on the vehicle, since it's the only part of your vehicle touching the pavement. Pretty much any combo of pad/rotor will lock up the brakes within milliseconds of each other, but the tire compound you're running could be the difference between a car-length worth of stopping distance ;)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My preference is oem rotors with ferodo pads. I agree with Matty about tires being as/more important, I'd cheap out on brakes to get top notch tires if I had to personally.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Noob bashing? I think you have this site confused with another WRX-centric website. Folks here, for the most part, are pretty helpful and nice . . . even to noobs.

But if you insist on us bashing you . . . "brakes" . . . not "breaks" . . . unless your WRX brakes break. ;) :_

Welcome to the site.
Hay give him a brake. He just wants his breaks to be quite. :rotfl:

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
For years I used hawk pads on OEM rotors. Always did well for me. This time around I've got a set of stoptech pads and rotors waiting to go on, but at the rate my car sits I doubt it will ever see them.

The one thing I avoid is auto parts stores "lifetime" pads. They are usually rock hard give weak braking performance, and destroy rotors within a few thousand miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
rexxx0486 said:
My preference is oem rotors with ferodo pads.
If you're willing to drop $400 on pads, Ferodo DS2500 are a great set.

·
Registered
46 Posts
MY thought's are staying with the stock O.E. pads for less dust and noise especially if your not racing it around. i have replaced mine two times with stock dealer pads and they work great.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
seanracerx1986 said:
MY thought's are staying with the stock O.E. pads for less dust and noise especially if your not racing it around. i have replaced mine two times with stock dealer pads and they work great.
Do you have a GD STI? Dust levels on factory pads is no joke. I used to have to clean my wheels at least biweekly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts