Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning gang,
I'm JM (i'm not big on intro, so i'll get to the point), over the past couple of months I've been looking to purchase a WRX hatchback, 2011 to 2014 body style. I found a 2014 WRX with 76K miles, rally blue, in the Greenville SC area. I'm looking to have a PPI done and would like to have any referral for a reputable Subie shop or mechanic who can provide a detail and complete inspection. Thank you in advance for all inputs and wish me luck!

regards

JM

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Make sure the PPI includes a compression / leakdown test, as those will tell you the health of the engine. You can probably work out the cost of those with the seller. If they pass, you pay (as part of the purchase), but if they fail, he pays; an honest seller, who isn't worried about an engine issue should have no issue agreeing to those terms. The other advantage is the vehicle gets a new pair of plugs (why remove the spark plug to do compression test and not replace them while they're out?).

See if the seller is willing to let the vehicle travel to Alpharetta, GA (~2 hours each way). TopSpeed Motorsports is located there, and they are very familiar with modified Subarus (many "stock" Subarus were part-outs of modified Subarus and someone familiar with them can help identify issues), and would be your best bet in terms of a PPI. Otherwise, contract with the best local Subaru dealership in your area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure the PPI includes a compression / leakdown test, as those will tell you the health of the engine. You can probably work out the cost of those with the seller. If they pass, you pay (as part of the purchase), but if they fail, he pays; an honest seller, who isn't worried about an engine issue should have no issue agreeing to those terms. The other advantage is the vehicle gets a new pair of plugs (why remove the spark plug to do compression test and not replace them while they're out?).

See if the seller is willing to let the vehicle travel to Alpharetta, GA (~2 hours each way). TopSpeed Motorsports is located there, and they are very familiar with modified Subarus (many "stock" Subarus were part-outs of modified Subarus and someone familiar with them can help identify issues), and would be your best bet in terms of a PPI. Otherwise, contract with the best local Subaru dealership in your area.
Thanks EJ257... will talk to him
regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts