ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone my name is Nate and I have 03 Subaru impreza wrx and I am looking for DIY instructions on how to swap out the turbo. Any sites or strategies will help thanks allot. If it matters I am just looking for a stock to stcok swap.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I can give you a simple play by play.

1: Remove intercooler
2: remove turbo heatshield
3: remove downpipe
4: remove uppipe nuts from turbo (there are only 3, don't waste your time removing the up-pipe mounts.
5: clamp off coolant feed and return lines so you don't spew coolant everywhere.
6: disconnect turbo oil banjo fitting, and just bend oil line away from turbo
7: disconnect vacuum connections
8: disconnect turbo inlet pipe at the turbo side
9: remove turbo.

To install, do the opposite in reverse. It's honestly not very difficult.

The biggest thing to look for.. the turbo's oil drain needs to fit into the pipe that sits below the turbo. The clamp doesn't get touched. It's designed to slide on and off with a little pressure

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you very much Kevin. I want to have my turbo's guts re-built how can I tell what stock turbo I have so I can go ahead and order the parts. If it helps I have a 02 Subaru Impreza wrx any ways to tell so I can get the right set of guts that would be great. Once again that you for all your help!!

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
Thank you very much Kevin. I want to have my turbo's guts re-built how can I tell what stock turbo I have so I can go ahead and order the parts. If it helps I have a 02 Subaru Impreza wrx with a VIN of **** any ways to tell so I can get the right set of guts that would be great. Once again that you for all your help!!
There are rebuild kits available for Mitsubishi turbochargers, if that helps. Also, I would remove your VIN number from your post... no reason why we'd need to know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you Zach for the info I thought that the VIN might help determine what turbo I have. I understand that it is probably a Mitsubishi turbo but is there any way to tell what one it is due to I want to go ahead and order the parts so it minimize the time that the turbo has to be out of the vehicle. I was reading another post on clubwrx and I saw it might be a 13T? is that right for a stock 02 turbo?

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
^^ yup TD04-13T

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
One key thing that wasn't mentioned is you should make sure you hit all of the nuts and bolts with penetrating oil prior to starting.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
^^ Specifically the up pipe and downpipe bolts. The others you don't need it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts