Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a BOV but I have heard all these people talk about the problems they are having with rough idling and running too rich. I was wondering what everyone here is running and if they had the same problems. Also I am looking for a loud BOV what do you suggest? TurboXS? Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
Well, there are some people who have problems with thier BOVs but I think thats because they're were leaking....
In my experience I haven't had any problems with a rough idle but it will cause you to run rich in between shifts. The solution to this is to get one that blows off 50% of the air into the atmosphere during high boost but during lower boost it will all recirculate.
The problem with a 50-50 is that it isn't as loud, which you specified that you wanted. I believe there are some that you can adjust from 50-50 to 100% atmosphere though. I just don't know which kind.
I've run a Blitz which is pretty loud under high boost and just makes an air sound. If you want an attention getter though, take a look at the HKS BOV. Like everything they make, it is loud.

·
Registered
171 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
BOV = Waste of money that voids your warranty

What's the point?

-Jim
Jim=wrong Nothing "voids" your warranty.
I have the HKS and it is nice and loud. The point of a BOV is to let the boost out after the TB closes, IE shifts, coming off it really fast. It does that so the boost doesn't push its way back into the turbo, and cause the turbo to be over worked or make it spool backward (very rare). Also if you have cats the blowing out of the air causes a very rich mix, which makes your catss work really hard, and will make the life of them a lot shorter. I say if your looking for the sound a 50/50 gives you the sound, without causing all the air to vent. There are a few 50/50, I have a gfb one also, that leaked boost, but not too bad, with an okay sound to it. If you want a loud one there are the RFL ones from TXS, the HKS SSQ ( or something like that), and a few others I can't think of. Hope that helps.
MCL

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
WickedRydaX said:
Jim=wrong Nothing "voids" your warranty.
MCL
I would agree with you, except that if you drive to a Subaru dealership with a BOV installed they have the right to deny all warranty service thru SOA.

I know a guy in my area paying for his engine rebuild on his STi right now.

-Jim

·
Registered
171 Posts
They have to prove that the problem is due to an aftermacker mod, they can't just say nope because you have a part on there. And had a BOV caused you friends engine to need a rebuild is something I have never heard of before.
MCL

·
Registered
814 Posts
the thing that you must realize about the HKS is that it is loud, but not like a regular BOV. It sounds more like "a screaming eagle." So depends if that is what you want.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
The hks does sux to have on a daily driver, but if you like the screaming sound it's cool. I like it most of the time, but when I'm driving around at night I feel bad for everyone that I wake up.
MCL

·
Banned
2,810 Posts
I'm seriously curious, why do you guys want a BOV? Certainly once you're running very high boost you need it, but why now? I mean, anyone who knows what the sound means already knows a WRX has a turbo. I like the sound I got with the bigger turbo and the IC hoses... but I can't see spending the money for a purely cosmetic sound effect.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm seriously asking. What's the attraction?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Personally I enjoy it. The REX is my first turbo car and it just makes it that much more fun. I guess part of it is that I don't use the car as a daily driver to get to work. In that case I guess it could be annoying. I only have like 15K miles on it and its an 02. I've had it on so long that the car seems wierd without it as well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
WickedRydaX said:
They have to prove that the problem is due to an aftermacker mod, they can't just say nope because you have a part on there. And had a BOV caused you friends engine to need a rebuild is something I have never heard of before.
MCL
Let's put it this way: he has hired a lawyer. It's that bad. They are blaming the engine failure on a broken up Purolator oil filter when Purolator is the OEM manufacturer and they claim they did him a favor replacing his turbo because of a minor intake mod.

Just be careful. You don't have to look far to find SOA screwing some WRX or STi owner over.

-Jim

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry to hear about it, but if they have already seen that his car was moded they may have a good case saying that it is due to the aftermarket parts. If they have said that it was the oil filter I would say that works for him, because I believe the way the law is writen for wear able parts is that unless they are a part of the sale of the car they have to cover it anyways. That is why a lot of the higher end cars have the "free oil, and air filter changes" as part of buying their car. If they offer it, and you take it somewhere else and it that causes a problem they will hand you a bill. Take a look at the K&N site, that is where I saw the thing about the wearable parts on cars. I believe thay have the law word for word, it may help your friend. I hope everything works out for him.
For everyone, just remember if you want to play you get to pay also, "TINSTAAFL"
MCL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zem said:
I'm seriously curious, why do you guys want a BOV? Certainly once you're running very high boost you need it, but why now? I mean, anyone who knows what the sound means already knows a WRX has a turbo. I like the sound I got with the bigger turbo and the IC hoses... but I can't see spending the money for a purely cosmetic sound effect.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm seriously asking. What's the attraction?
Just like CrazyCam said this is my first Turbo car and I just like the effect of the BOV, its just like buying wheels is if its important enough to you, you are willing to spend the money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts