ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 sti w/92k clean title about $12k....

My buddy is wantin to buy another house but his car payment is hurting him getting all the money he needs so he is selling it for just above what he still owes cuz the car has some pending issues...

Air bag light is on and has been since be bought the car a couple years ago.

ABS light is on cuz the left rear sensor is bad

A small oval green light is flashing he says it something to to with the 90k differential flush and its not letting you control the center diff right now because of it

front bumper got backed into and spider webbed the paint but it could be repainted

needs detailed inside and out really bad but it could be clean when done

dealer just inspected and fixed some sensors car runs great now (had a bad mass air and o2) they found the ABS problem and told him about a slightly leaky PS pump, passenger valve cover gasket leak, sway bar end link falling apart,leaky rear struts and the brakes are down to about 30%

the thing that really scares me is when your driving at low speeds and turn hard like say to park it feels like something is binding up in the AWD..... the dealership claims this is cuz of the end link being bad but im not convinced.... it feels like when your in a truck in 4wd on pavement....

I dont mind the brakes, leaky struts, and end link since i would want to upgrade them anyways.... yeah the bumper issue sucks but the car isn't wrecked. I have done a lil research and THINK that binding might be the center diff acting up because of the ABS sensor being out and the diff service light needing turned off.... I would be doing the timing belt and pump soon around a 100k and anything else normally done at that time as well. one other good thing is the car did just get a brand new radiator and hoses which is nice.... Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
The center diff is acting up because it needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Sounds as tho your buddies STi needs a little love.. for 12K you may not be in a terrible position cash wise to do it.. KBB.COM says that if in perfect condition Private party is $15,825 SO.. that beings said you technically have near 4k to put into it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yeah but I just looked and found a white 04 sti with 102k for 15k firm just got a timing belt and pump and looks to be in realy good shape for the miles thats ready to just hop in and drive.... I originally had my heart set on a bugeye wrx wagon mainly since i could buy one cash and im just into the wagons....

How much for a center diff?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
That sounds like a car I'd stay away from. Too many problems including what sounds like a blown center diff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah after seeing that 05 for $15k i think thats a good idea. im a car nut mostly been into hondas but if i were a subie expert and knew exactly what i was getting myself into i would have to do it. theres a 93 subaru L for sale down the street from me for $2 grand i should buy it and see how i like working on it and if its a pain in the ass then maybe move on to a WRX.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts