Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
New to the forums
Never owned a wrx but my step dad owned a 300awkw 04 wrx and I’ve been Inlove with them every since that day when I was 16 and first got to drive it haha

I’m really interested in all wrxs, would love an STI but the price of them is expidentionally higher for not that much of an improvement from what I can work out (yes I know gear box, suspension, DCCD, and a few other things) but not worth the extra 10 grand for a car with 10-20,000 more k’s On it in my opinion

I’m looking for a wrx that will be reliable (I’ll be maintaining it like a crazy person) oil changes every 3-6000 k’s depending on the driving I do, do all the scheduled maintenance myself, plus some extra, don’t really want to mod it (exhaust and maybe a CAI with a tune to suit in the future) but I do want coil overs and sway bars, a high quality short shifter

I’m looking at 2003-2007 but has to be 60,000 kilometres or less (only seen 2) a 2009-2010 (still iffy on these as I’m not sure I like the design but would like to hear the drivability and handling and whatnot from some of you guys), 2011-2013 as I love the wide body’s, but wondering if it would be worth it to save for a couple extra months and get a 14-16 model for 3-7 extra grand?

Just want to know peoples opinions on these!

Also know the 14-2019 have rev hang from factory, first thing I’d be doing is getting a tune to remove that (also heard tuning you can get a base map that will increase power, reliability, and fuel consumption but doesn’t sound real as more power, more fuel, more pressure on engine parts)

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
I would buy the newest least modified vehicle you can find with complete service records.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with XJman. My thinking is, these vehicles are inherently ragged on, modded, de-modded and all around experimented on.

I stuck to my guns to not get a ‘used’ WRX/STi and lucked out on a ‘17 WRX with 11k on it, certified pre-owned (upped the mfg warranty from 36k to 100k) was a one owner/leasee and was leased by a guy at the Subaru dealership I bought the car at. I had a sit down with him and was able to get a feel for how he treated the car. So, I consider my case more the exception than the rule.

You risk a lot when buying any car used, but especially a vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) that is on a performance platform.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts