ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting this white 5 door WRX premium, and the dealer is helping me out pretty nicely, however I was hesitant because I wanted HID lighting. I've searched a while for this, and haven't found a direct answer so..

Can I buy a 2011 premium and get the limited headlight assemblies for ~1,400 dollars and just directly install them? I don't care about having the motors hooked up, as I will just set them and forget them once installed. I don't see why this wouldn't work, other than the wiring for the motors to the cabin's control button.

Thanks in advance

Joe

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no desire to take apart brand new headlight assemblies to install the proper (maybe) projector setup. I'd much rather spend the money (that I would have spent on the limited upgrade anyway) on a 100% legit, working setup. I don't care about the leather, I just want the HIDs.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I understand that I could have them mod it for me, but that means I would have to either 1) drive around without headlights for numerous days, or 2) buy an extra set ~200 dollars each, pay them to mod them ~400-900 on their site depending on setup, and then ship it all back. We're talking like MAYBE saving 100 dollars for a chopped setup albeit they might be made good enough.

All I want to know is, does anyone have a direct answer on my question? Any techs, body guys or anything that have replaced a front light on an WRX? I'm mostly concerned about the wiring setup, unless the ballasts are internal to the headlight assembly.

BTW, I appreciate your help on the matter as well as your fast reply.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
I believe you will need a different harness but just give a call to your local dealer and ask.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have no desire to take apart brand new headlight assemblies to install the proper (maybe) projector setup. I'd much rather spend the money (that I would have spent on the limited upgrade anyway) on a 100% legit, working setup. I don't care about the leather, I just want the HIDs.
Wouldn't it be easier to buy the Limited and do a seat swap?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Currently, in my area (Clemson, SC), there is no configuration that matches what I want from any city within a decent area. I want a white 5 door w/out nav, and yet Atlanta only has 4 doors, Raleigh doesn't have any model configuration I want at all, and so on. I could order a car, yes, and wait till December to get it, but I don't want to order a car simply because of HID lights. Worse comes to worse, I'll just drive the thing without HID's and enjoy it nonetheless.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Worse comes to worse, I'll just drive the thing without HID's and enjoy it nonetheless.
That's exactly what you should do! There are some threads on bulb upgrades out there to tie you over until you want to throw money at HIDs. People have been pleased by just doing that thus far.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fair enough, lol. I want to get rid of the Z ASAP as the value is dropping the more I drive it, lol. I also read a few threads on NAOSIC or whatever about the 2012 model changes and have no desire to wait for those to come about. I'm going to test drive the 11 5 door tomorrow afternoon, might return to my apartment with a rex rather than a Z lol.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, I think I found the answer finally after searching a bit more.. The 2007 assemblies have built in ballasts, and I'm assuming Subaru would not change the entire wiring harness on a premium vs. limited, so I think that other than the leveling adjustments, the headlights would be a direct plug and play.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Currently, in my area (Clemson, SC), there is no configuration that matches what I want from any city within a decent area. I want a white 5 door w/out nav, and yet Atlanta only has 4 doors, Raleigh doesn't have any model configuration I want at all, and so on. I could order a car, yes, and wait till December to get it, but I don't want to order a car simply because of HID lights. Worse comes to worse, I'll just drive the thing without HID's and enjoy it nonetheless.
Silly me. I wasn't thinking about the rarity of these cars - especially given the time of year.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I cleaned up the Z last night, and I'm off to go test drive this rex in about an hour. I remember back in my oldschool car days after high school, all my friends were swapping their bugeye WRX's with STi interiors, which is what I would probably do anyway. As for the 3g lights being possibly different from the newer, I'm willing to be the test dummy for the swap :thumbup:. If they don't work, I'll package em back up and return them.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Congrats! You'll enjoy it in an entirely different way than the Z. I'm curious to hear your opinion on what drew you to the WRX and what made you pull the trigger? If you sort out that HID issue, post back and let us know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts