Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a comfortable seat position where my seat is cranked high up and forward, giving me a comfortable grip on the wheel, easy access to the pedals for HT and LFB, and plenty of visability. My question is has anyone installed or used a long throw or rally style shifter or one longer than stock? How would this effect driving? I know the Cobb double adjustable shifter can be made shorter or longer depending on how it is adjusted. For the way I have been sitting it would seem more comfortable if I raise it a bit higher, but would this be deterimental to the car? Schischwein, any insight?

chris

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
If you increased the length of the shifter only (leaving the ball down measurement the same), you increase the throw and increase the vagueness.

Many SS, while overall length is about the same, the length of from the ball down is increased...this also puts the shift knob lower as well.

What I would suggest, as a compromise is make a spacer plate for the SS that still gives the effect of the SS, while maintaining the stock height. You'll probably need longer screws also.

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the cobb is adjustable both above and below the bushing section. So I guess you could actually make it SS below the bushing and make it rally tall above it. Does this make sense? They call it double adjustable since it is threaded above and below the bushing section (whatever that is called)

chris

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of trying the COBB double adjust myself yet(might have a chance when I pick up my TH3s in the next week or so). Surely you can increase the length between ball and pivot along with length between knob and pivot to effectively give stock like throw while gaining height. The possible disadvantage of this is that when you increase the distances, you might lose feedback(simply a matter of decay of oscillations due to proximity). This might not be significant at all, but mearly a possibility. I sit rather close to the wheel and have a high mounted seat, but to be quite honest, stock height is not that far down and as testimonial to this, many rallyers here have the stock shift(including the knob) while just have hard bushings. Then again, you might just have short arms and would prefer the longer height. If stock height is fine for you but you want a shorter throw, also consider the Perrin pivot change or the STi unit(or simply go with the COBB and adjust till comfy).

·
895 Posts
fengshui said:
the cobb is adjustable both above and below the bushing section. So I guess you could actually make it SS below the bushing and make it rally tall above it. Does this make sense? They call it double adjustable since it is threaded above and below the bushing section (whatever that is called)

chris
yup - i have the cobb SS and absolutley love the double adjustment of it - i loved the short throw compared to stock, but after a while it was just too difficult for me so i lengthend the throw abit so it felt better - then i changed the shifter height to about half an inch lower than stock - this is a pretty solid feeling setup IMO. the cobb SS rocks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts