Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, just got my Godspeed uppipe and downpipe installed and holy sh*t. These damn things make such a difference in the pull of the car, I am now slammed into my seat. I can only imagine what you guys feel who have all the cool stuff on the car to make it a 12 second car.

I do have one issue though. I am hearing a rumble type of sound but it is not the cool deep engine rumble. I can't exactly explain it but it kind of seems like a vibration sound....that's the best description I can think of. It starts at about 2800 rpm and goes away at about 4000 rpm. It is louder when I am accelerating/deccelerating through this range.

One thing to think about is it is butt cold in Lawrence, KS right now....there is solid ice on my car that fell off when I was pushing it hard out south. The sound does get better after the car warms up but it does not go away. The only thoughts I have (and my thoughts are not worth much with my experience) are that it might be the connection between the downpipe and the rest of the stock exhaust. Maybe it vibrates??? Or it might be the back pressure on the exhast since after the huge uppipe and downpipe is the stock exhaust to the stock muffler.

Any help on this would be much appreciated....... God, if you have ideas...

One last thing, my next planned mods are Samco IC hoses and then a front strut bar. Thoughts and ideas on that would be much appreciated! :)

THX guys! Peace.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i almost regret getting my samco hoses, barely noticed any difference

though im sure i'd buy them again eventually if i had to do it over again since there probably is *some* increase even if it's hard to make out

and i think the sound is normal though it could be something i havent heard. as soon as i had my uppipe/downpipe added to my catback, all sorts of noises came in... turbo spoolup noise, fluttering/scrapey/buzzing/wheezing type noise, and a louder exhaust

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
cook32 -- does the godspeed dp have a bellmouth inlet or something for the wastegate part of the turbo?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WRXin-- I don't really know, I know it is one piece and takes the place of the down and mid pipe. Here is a link to a picture of it:

http://godspeed.hack.net/WRX.html

Also I know alot of people have the Godspeed downpipe so if someone could step in here and help me with this question......

thanks for the help so far guys ;)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
cook32 said:
WRXin-- I don't really know, I know it is one piece and takes the place of the down and mid pipe. Here is a link to a picture of it:

http://godspeed.hack.net/WRX.html

Also I know alot of people have the Godspeed downpipe so if someone could step in here and help me with this question......

thanks for the help so far guys ;)
Yeah I've seen that pic before, but I still couldn't tell from looking at it.

thechickencow said:
Gods dp is a bellmouth design.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Check out this thread on nabisco:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311965&highlight=bosal+downpipe

The scoobysport is a bellmouth, basically one big tube for the wastegate and the turbo outlet to go into. The perrin is a divorced, see the 2 separate holes?

I haven't heard enough of the divorced wastegate ones to guess on sound, but I don't think it'd make much difference sound wise. The wastegate section won't have any noise(edit: or much noise), most will be coming through the turbo, so whether it is connected or not doesn't logically make much sense. I wouldn't expect much more sound out of just a downpipe. There is still a cat, a resonator or two and a muffler downstream.

Jay

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
cook32 said:
How can you tell? and do you think this has something to do with the sound?
This is not the God Speed dp, but this is what a bellmouth looks like...

As for the noise, I don't have a dp yet, but I've read that there is a wide array of noise that comes along with an aftermarket dp. Not sure how much of that noise can be attributed to the bellmouth design though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I cant say for everyone else but I just installed my TXS stealthback 2 weeks ago and it just sounds like stock. I cant hear the fluttering or even the turbo spooling. It sounds completely stock. I was amased because I expected to hear different noises like what everyone was experiencing. I'm having the TXS upipe put in today so we'll see how that sounds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GREDDY said:
I cant say for everyone else but I just installed my TXS stealthback 2 weeks ago and it just sounds like stock. I cant hear the fluttering or even the turbo spooling. It sounds completely stock. I was amased because I expected to hear different noises like what everyone was experiencing. I'm having the TXS upipe put in today so we'll see how that sounds.
If the sound starts once it is installed with you then I guess we have found the culprit, i.e. uppipe. I know what you guys mean now too about the bell mouth design. I watched the guy install everything and have a TON of pictures of it and I see the difference, pretty interesting.

If you put on a stealthback but don't have the sound GREDDY then maybe it is back pressure from me having the stock exhaust after the big up and downpipes.

God (Dan), there is alot of speculating going on here.....no real answers. If you might have some light to shed it would be appreciated!

:D

·
Registered
559 Posts
i think those sounds are normall when removing cats.
Just my0.1 Reais.
Tuca

·
Registered
180 Posts
Will using a uppipe and/or downpipe extend the life of a turbocharger?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Got the TXS upipe installed today and its making a loud noise when in boost. The only way I can describe it is like a fan spinning and someone shove's a stick into the blades. This noise is a bit loud. Has anyone experienced this and is this suppose to be normal for TXS upipe? Can this be a leak? They guys at boosthard.com told me that the upipe isn't leaking but makes an astonishing noise when under boost. What do you guys think?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts