Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Vishnu uppipe installed about 2 weeks ago and have been very happy with it. I know that it alters the sound of the engine, enables turbo to be heard more etc etc. But when my car is at a idle (parked, stoplight...) and I give it some gas to about 2500-3000 rpm, just before the engine settles back to idling speed there is a a chirping noise that sounds like it is coming from the exhaust tip. It is like 3-5 little chirps or high bubbling noises. So have I fallen victim to the dreaded uppipe leak or what? The pipe was installed at a shop and I supplied them with new gaskets and they used a high temp sealant. But when running WOT throttle, I dont hear any of the noises or high pitched screeching as described in other links regarding leaks. Any input would be much appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
424 Posts
This sounds exactly like when my heatsheild was rattling on the turbo. Mine was right at 3200 RPM only on the way down and not when revving up. I ended up taking the heatsheild off my turbo after fixing my uppipe leak so I don't have to worry anymore. Check your heat sheild, mine was vibrating like hell. Open the hood and rev the car at the throttle plate and listen for what is making the sound.

·
Registered
907 Posts
check to make sure there are no birds nesting in your exhaust...j/k if its comming from your exhaust tip, its not a leak from the uppipe. have a friend help you out on locating the sound.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I get the same noise, and I think a lot of others do (I think I read that on i-club). Just sounds like crickets or something when the engine gets back down near 1000 rpm. I'm pretty sure mine is from the exhaust hanger that I cross threaded when I was doing my uppipe install, and can't get tight anymore.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Guys,

I got the same noise on my car from day 1 with 6 miles on the car. Always wondered what it could be. At first (before I knew even the little that I do now) I thought there might be a flapper-valve actuated dual-path muffler or something (like the TT Supras had) - and that the noise was the valve shutting upon deceleration.

I still have no idea what it is, but it seems to be from the exhaust (L/R and underneath the car) and seems to be pretty common. I wonder if we'll ever figure out exactly what it is? :)

Aloha,
Richard...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for help and input everybody...

I feel better that others have experienced this same noise. I guess i am just super wary of all noises now that I have my uppipe. I will check my heat shield for rattles, thanks jmussetter and all. Like I stated before typical spool up noise and louder engine bay noise are normal with an uppipe.

One side question though...If one does have a leak that seals after engine heats up is there any harm in just leaving it alone if it does not progress any further. Or do all small leaks eventually become huge ones??

One thing is for sure though, little birds or not that uppipe is amazing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I let my leak go for a few weeks, but it eventually got worse and worse until I had to fix it--Muffler Cement and new bottom gasket. Take off the right manifold to replace joint and retighten before re-attatching manifold.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Where installed ?

Sputnik,

I'm in the Pasadena area. Did you have SubySpecialties in Monrovia do the install ? If so , how much and how was the service ?

TIA

Clavo

·
Registered
96 Posts
The noise is caused by the rubber hangers that secure your muffler to your car. They squeek when they slide around the exhaust hangers. When I put my new exhaust in I had new, tighter hangers put in and the noise dissapeared.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey ClavoWRX

sorry didnt get back to sooner.. havent checked the board in a couple of days. Anyway I did get my Vishnu uppipe installed at SubySpecialties. 260 total price installed, call and talk to Steve, he is the owner. Great service in my opinion and as far as I can tell no leaks and the car is kicking @ss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bird kill

hey I got the same exact thing with the bird chirps....Its hardly audible...you need to open the door to actually hear it....

have you found out what the problem is with that bird noise

·
Registered
949 Posts
Interesting first post. Welcome to the boards btw!!

I'm wondering if it's a certain brand of up pipe that causes the chirping, or any up pipe?

I'm thinking of getting the Vishnu stage sub-zero which includes the vishnu up pipe.

I don't want to get it, and my wife hears the chirping noise and says "you broke the car." Then I'll spend the next week arguing with her about how it's gotta be something very minor. blah blah...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts