ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, there are a couple lingering questions I have about the WRX suspension, that I haven't found answered here (perhaps they are and I just suck at searching :) ). The suspension is described as MacPherson struts, with additions to the front and back, as well as funky "liquid" bushings. :confused: I don't have a WRX for inspection, so I can't go look at it, although I suspect someone here could describe it better than I could observe and speculate as to its purpose.

• Front suspension: What is a lower L-arm? What is it there for? Changing the camber is all I can come up with, but why and how?
  • Rear suspension: Parallel link? What is that? (multi-link came to mind, but it's a MacPherson strut, and multi-link seems fundamentally different by all the reckoning I can do) Better question - what's it for? Are we talking the equivalent of a sway bar here? Is it still independent suspension, in practice (if not in marketing-speak)?
  • Liquid bushings ... all I have ever heard about are polyurethane and rubber. What are liquid bushings? How do they compare to polys and rubber? (or are they polys or rubber?)
Cool stuff :cool: ... but I wish I knew why it's there. :)

Cheers!
Brian

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the benefit of anyone who comes hereafter ... on i-club I did find a reference to what "liquid" bushings are - they are rubber bushings filled with some sort of oil.

They increase driver comfort, by being more cushy than solid rubber (or polyurethane) bushings.

No luck on the parallel link or lower L arm, yet.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Haven't run across a liquid filled bushing yet.

The L arm is simply a control arm- pivot point for the front suspension.

The rear suspension consists of two parallel trailing arms (links) and four lateral arms (links).

I'll try and attach a schematic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts