ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was running consistently below 14.0s at around 13.9-13.8 with the stock ECU, APS BOV, K&N air filter (resonator removed), and my JoeP boost controller set at 16.5psi. Now I have yanked the JoeP, installed a Link ECU and Samco IC hoses and look at the results:
Code:
R/T	60'	330	1/8	MPH	990	1/4	MPH
3.266	2.253	6.491	9.909	71.31	12.787	15.344	91.42
0.463	2.571	6.818	10.216	71.45	13.065	15.632	91.82
0.751	2.473	6.752	10.189	70.67	13.091	15.665	90.84
0.682	2.251	6.453	9.862	71.47	12.740	15.309	90.79
1.006	2.192	6.376	9.819	70.59	12.732	15.328	89.92
0.969	2.528	7.118	10.768	65.35	13.882	16.629	85.54
This basically stems from the fact that I have no clue what I'm doing with this whole engine controller programming thing. The stock ECU did a great job. I'm running so rich I feel it in my pocket when I fuel up. My O2 sensor readings are almost off the chart.

I threw the ECU in closed loop on the way to work this morning and tried to lean things out, but I don't see how closed loop can be effective when it uses the second O2 sensor which is REALLY far away from the engine. I would think the introduced delay would be to much for the controller to respond.

Also, the Link Software is very glitchy. It will occassionally refuse to log data. More annoying is the way it will replace a cell on the spark and/or fuel map with zero or the value from the opposing table when you upload or download the maps.

I'm pretty fed up, but I don't want to give up. I want to put my stock ECU back in and see what kind of difference my hoses made. I'm giving some serious consideration to putting the stock ECU back in, taking it to the track, getting my uppipe installed, taking it to the track, driving down to TurboXS and having them tune the ECU for me, and taking it to the track.

After all of this comparison, I'll decide whether or not the ECU is worth the $1500+tuning that I spent for it. If it doesn't yield excellent results at the track, I'll sell it.

I'm sure that when the ECU is tuned by a pro, it'll show some great results, but I sunk a lot of money into this ECU with the idea of learning how to tune an engine. I just think I lack the tools, skills, and knowledge to even get started. I guess I need to go to the library and get a book on engine tuning.

One other thing I want to try is datalogging the stock ECU. I'll have to get a cable and software, but they are cheap compared to what I spent to far. I'm not sure what parameters I can read from the stock ECU, but it should be enough to give me a baseline for tuning the Link.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Don't give up yet! This is just your first attempt. Go to the UK BBS, Scoobynet and find some professional tuners there you might call. UK tuners have been using Links on WRXs for some time now.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just talking to Chad (E). It's not the ECU, it's the tuner. My timing is way off. This explains why I couldn't dial in the A/F.

It may have fouled my plugs very badly by running as rich as I was as well.

I am going to upload the default map and start over. I am so far off right now, I can't even begin to recover.

Engine tuning without a dyno and with zero experience is really hard, but I am a pretty determined guy. My girlfriend is like, "Nothing was wrong with the car before. You wasted all that money. Put the old computer in and sell that thing."

As far as I'm concerned, the Link isn't going to lose any value with age, so if I get fed up, I'll be able to sell it. I know the value of a good tune and really think the Link will end up being a worthwhile investment in the end.

-Jim

·
Registered
772 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
I was just talking to Chad (E). It's not the ECU, it's the tuner. My timing is way off. This explains why I couldn't dial in the A/F.

It may have fouled my plugs very badly by running as rich as I was as well.

I am going to upload the default map and start over. I am so far off right now, I can't even begin to recover.

Engine tuning without a dyno and with zero experience is really hard, but I am a pretty determined guy. My girlfriend is like, "Nothing was wrong with the car before. You wasted all that money. Put the old computer in and sell that thing."

As far as I'm concerned, the Link isn't going to lose any value with age, so if I get fed up, I'll be able to sell it. I know the value of a good tune and really think the Link will end up being a worthwhile investment in the end.

-Jim
Don't give up, a good tuner will make magic out of your car. It is
almost like a cam kit. Gotta pay a pro with all the right tools to
tune it. Once it is tuned right it is gonna be a bad a** :D

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I uploaded the default map. CRAP. How the hell can they send me such garbage and say it's the result of dyno tuning and rallying? If the car is close to stock it should run very well. (This stuff is in the manual.) You've got to be kidding me. The car almost stalls when I first start it, doesn't return to idle properly, and the car feels like a damn dog to drive.

The Link ECU is coming out tonight. I want my 13s car back. I'll take it out for a while and give some serious thought to a dyno tune. I think I need an EGT gauge. Oh well, all of this stuff will probably go on hold for while anyway.

-Jim

·
5,799 Posts
Well, like you said: Worse case scenario you can knock $50 off what you paid for it and sell it on to somebody else. You can then purchase a Unichip, and put the change toward a new turbo. :D

-Pace

·
Registered
772 Posts
pace said:
Well, like you said: Worse case scenario you can knock $50 off what you paid for it and sell it on to somebody else. You can then purchase a Unichip, and put the change toward a new turbo. :D

-Pace
Yeah I am also leaning toward the XS stage 1 setup, so I can keep
my MBC, catback etc etc. Most tunner around NJ are civic guys :(

PlatinumWRX have you try to locate a local Link ECU installer that is
close enough for you to get to ?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Jim,
don't give up just yet. I've been playing with mine a couple nights a week. i spend time looking over logs and making subtle changes. Not sure what you mean about not being able to log as I've never had that problem.

Anyway, I'd like a chance to see your map and some of your logs. I've been tuning without EGT as mine fell off the column and hung upside down for a day and hasnt worked right since. I was able to do my initial tuning with the benefit of EGTs. I still have a pretty conservative tune, but I have been able to get some gains out of it.

If you want, please send me your current map and some logs preferably 2-4th gear WOT pulls.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jay,

I appreciate your offer to help. but...
It's too late, I gave up and replaced the ECU on Sunday. I'm back to the stock ECU and MBC. My car runs like a beast again. I got to experience the howl of the new IC hoses. I'll be heading to the track to see what they did for my times. I have to replace my windshield and have the car inspected in May.

If I log, save the log, and clear the log, odds are it won't log when I click the play button. I had to reload the software because the "knock" and "closed loop" check boxes vanished.

I'm not certain that my goals for the car require a Link. I really just want the stock turbo to hold full boost to redline. An unpipe and exhaust should do that for me. I think the stock turbo and the stock ECU are a fine combination.

Single-point-grounds are next to get rid of the stupid partial throttle hesitation.

I really need an EGT gauge to go any further on tuning. I need to get some books as well.

-Jim
phast said:
Jim,
don't give up just yet. I've been playing with mine a couple nights a week. i spend time looking over logs and making subtle changes. Not sure what you mean about not being able to log as I've never had that problem.

If you want, please send me your current map and some logs preferably 2-4th gear WOT pulls.

·
4,769 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
I'm not certain that my goals for the car require a Link. I really just want the stock turbo to hold full boost to redline. An unpipe and exhaust should do that for me. I think the stock turbo and the stock ECU are a fine combination.
Jim if you want that you are going to have a hell of a time. Stock turbo can't do that no matter what combination of parts you do. It's physically too small. You're trying to break the laws of physics which as you know is impossible.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip, God.

The engine out flows the turbo, is that necessarily bad?
Um, yeah, I guess it is. Damn, I don't want a new turbo, I wish there was a stock fuel system alternative to the TD04e that could do it. I guess that VF30 is getting more appealing.

I really don't want to go with a new turbo, but jeez, that's a lot of money staring me in the face.

Maybe I'll just give up altogether. :mad:

Screw all this, I'll get an STi. :D

-Jim

·
Registered
772 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Thanks for the tip, God.

The engine out flows the turbo, is that necessarily bad?
Um, yeah, I guess it is. Damn, I don't want a new turbo, I wish there was a stock fuel system alternative to the TD04e that could do it. I guess that VF30 is getting more appealing.

I really don't want to go with a new turbo, but jeez, that's a lot of money staring me in the face.

Maybe I'll just give up altogether. :mad:

Screw all this, I'll get an STi. :D

-Jim
I have a question, how come you didn't go with TurboXS stage 1
which is more like the next step after a MBC mod. Stage 2, 3 and 4
are pretty potent. The link ECU is pretty expensive to start with.
I was pretty suprised that you went straight to the LINK ecu route.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Excellent question, rumble.

Like a lot of things in my life, I had aspirations, and I had cash and the result put me in WAY over my head. I had aspirations of learning how to tune an engine. I had $1600, which I had saved for wheels and when I couldn't get the wheels because the Tire Rack link was down, I order IC hoses and the Link instead. (I also have an itchy trigger finger.)

I now realize that I made a mistake: I don't have the time, education, or equipment to tune an engine. I am also stubborn and I am refusing to let this go. I am very tempted to order the Gram Light/Kumho special from Wheel Options.com and then ditch the Link to pay for it. This special appeared like two days after I ordered the ECU and I would've gone that route instead if I could do it all over. April is over tomorrow and so will be the special. I wish I could jump on it, but I have bigger fish to fry.

For now, I think I will regroup my funds (and my head) take a look at this whole project (my car) again.

WRXrumble said:
I have a question, how come you didn't go with TurboXS stage 1 which is more like the next step after a MBC mod. Stage 2, 3 and 4 are pretty potent. The link ECU is pretty expensive to start with. I was pretty suprised that you went straight to the LINK ecu route.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Jim I know you can do it, just take a step back and talk to God. His
setup might be the way to go since he did it :D

Ditch the LINK and get something that God or other rex experts can
help you with. Since rex is so new in the US, flying solo gonna be
tough. Wish you all the luck in the world, march on JIM :) Make us
prod :D

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rumble,

You asked me in another thread what my next step was.

I am getting really annoyed at the partial throttle hesitation and I plan to do the single-point-ground "smoothness" mod. This will make the sensors more accurate and make the stock ECU learn better and make me happier with the car overall.

I am probably going to do a Godspeed Uppipe and TurboXS turbo back exhaust before I revisit the ECU. I will probably keep the Link and have TXS tune it for me. They have recently purchased a Link ECU and are really excited about it. I'd like to see how they do with it and give them a chance to get familiar with it. It has several quirks (mostly software) that Link users have to learn.

I love the powerband of the stock turbo and I basically want to see it breathe as well as possible before I replace it.

The "bigger fish" that I mentioned above is moving out of my parents' house and I should really buy a great big diamond for my g/f as well. :rolleyes:

-Jim

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
The "bigger fish" that I mentioned above is moving out of my parents' house and I should really buy a great big diamond for my g/f as well. :rolleyes:

-Jim
woah, that should be mod #1! I couldn't be at home and mod my car to hell. It would just seem backwards to me.

God said:
I was surprised too. I have 390 HP and am still using stock ECU myself.
I totally agree. The Link would be my last step after I've got every bolt on (injectors, turbo, etc). Even a unichip on a stock car doesn't do much.

I'd suggest getting the UP/DP/Tback, then move onto unichip/VFXX/Injectors. These are proven, STOCK (Subaru) parts. Then you'll have a 12 second daily driver.

Hell, the link will pay for your turboback and then some.

good luck Jim.

-C

1 - 20 of 27 Posts