ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to the forums and I am a prospective Subaru Wrx owner. I have been looking at various sites for cars and I have decided that an 02 or 03 Wrx will fit snug in my price range.

I did some reading on different forums (this one especially) and it seems that there is a problem with the transmission on the 02?. Some call it a "glass tranny"?

I was just wondering how fragile the transmission actually is. I don't abuse my car I have now but I don't want it to start blowing gears after 100,000 miles

Any information will be much appreciated:]

thanks.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Hey everyone, I am new to the forums and I am a prospective Subaru Wrx owner. I have been looking at various sites for cars and I have decided that an 02 or 03 Wrx will fit snug in my price range.

I did some reading on different forums (this one especially) and it seems that there is a problem with the transmission on the 02?. Some call it a "glass tranny"?

I was just wondering how fragile the transmission actually is. I don't abuse my car I have now but I don't want it to start blowing gears after 100,000 miles

Any information will be much appreciated:]

thanks.
most people who break gears have added 70+hp and around 50+ torque. that said if you do not abuse your transmission it will take care of you
there are plenty of 02-03 owners out there with 150,000 on the stock tranny.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I've had 2 '02 WRX's, both modded. Stage 4 (upgraded turbo) on the first one, Stage 2 on the one I have now. I don't do hard launches, and have had no problems.

On the other hand, you'll see people out there with completely stock engines that have destroyed their trannies. It's all how you treat it. If you're looking for a car to streetrace, I'd recommend a different car.

·
Registered
703 Posts
^^^same thing ray said^^^

welcome to the site. it's all on how you drive the car. launching, grinding, hard shifts, and added power. you see many people going through trannies quick. mine is still great and i have over 120k miles.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well there is no doubt that the tranny is a little bit of a P.O.S. but I can say that by running the right tranny fluids along with not trying to shift as fast as humanly possible you can make your tranny last. As an example I bought my 02 with 86,000 and it had a slight grind if 5th gear if you shifted into it at over 80mph :( but even with that after I switched to redline 75W90NS and 1qt of redline syncro mesh and I've never had a grind in 5th even at 100+mph. That being said I have 121,000 on my tranny and if I want to get it into 1st well moving I still can but you just need to patient and not force it. I'm pretty sure everyone on here would agree with me that in order to have a 100k + tranny you need to be sure to change your fluid regularly when you start to see problems and over all not take it to a drag strip (even though I do sometimes)

Good luck with your decission, and if you're looking for a car for under 9k mine is for sale :) (bills suck)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All this input is really helping i appreciate it.

I don't plan on abusing it with hard launches etc. But a wrx is my dream car and im not even considering another car. I will take care of it the best I can, and if it needs a new tranny, it will get one:]

Yeah, im looking for a wrx under 13k. I live in Texas. If you know of any for sale i will gladly take a look.

thanks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
All this input is really helping i appreciate it.

I don't plan on abusing it with hard launches etc. But a wrx is my dream car and im not even considering another car. I will take care of it the best I can, and if it needs a new tranny, it will get one:]

Yeah, im looking for a wrx under 13k. I live in Texas. If you know of any for sale i will gladly take a look.

thanks.
if you are looking for a rex, i would suggest looking for one that is not modded. there are certain things about modded cars that can turn you away. and if you are looking for one under 13k, you should probably find a bugeye (02-03) with low miles for that price and under.

·
Registered
897 Posts
if you are looking for a rex, i would suggest looking for one that is not modded. there are certain things about modded cars that can turn you away. and if you are looking for one under 13k, you should probably find a bugeye (02-03) with low miles for that price and under.
OP said he wanted to get and 02-03.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah a 02-03 would be the way to go i got mine for 11 and i love it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im definately not going to get one that is modded at all. Mostly because I've heard many horror stories of people who buy cars that are modded with out realizing that the car was abused. Also, i would like to do all the modifiying myself, nothing major. Ill most likely start with tasteful mods and if i get bored with the power ill sell it and get an STI:]

But all this input is really helping out.

For a loan on a bugeye, what are yall paying a month?

·
Registered
344 Posts
another thing to consider would be getting a wagon over a sedan, in my opinion most people with wagons probably beat on there wrx less not saying they don't because lets be honest everyone with this car is giong to go woot every know and then, thats why you buy it. as far monthly payment I still owe 5k on mine and I pay 178 a month :) but i put 5k down on the car when i bought it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts