ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've notied that not alot of people have lightweight pullys... Is there a problem with them that I'm not seeing... I mean easy instalation ... Pretty cheap and of course more power ... I've herd better fuel economy too especially idleing.... So what's not to love????

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
I've notied that not alot of people have lightweight pullys... Is there a problem with them that I'm not seeing... I mean easy instalation ... Pretty cheap and of course more power ... I've herd better fuel economy too especially idleing.... So what's not to love????
How about alternator issues....

·
Registered
0 Posts
i would only do a lightweight but same size crank pully... thats just me tho

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you get an underdrive you will have alternator and possibly A/C issues due to the RPM change. By using a light weight crank pulley you throw the crankshaft off balance. Hence the name Harmonic balance, not crank pulley. The vibrations caused by the roating motions and weight causes crank walk, the harmonic balance helps to eliminate these problems. There is some talk of doing a light flywheel at the same time it helps eliminate some of the balance issues.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Stay with the same size and you will have no issues. I have had the perrin one on for 4 years now. It makes shifting a little smoother.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most of the "problems" people have with aftermarket pulley's are due to them using "UNDERDRIVE pulleys", which mean the pulley is a smaller diameter than that which was OEM(original equipment), now this causes problems because the other pulleys on the system were made to run at certain RPMs, changing the diameter of a pulley will increase the RPMs of the other pulleys on the "circuit", just make sure you get a lightweight pulley instead of an underdrive, the only real thing underdrive is good for is superchargers, and we's dont knows nothin bout that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts