Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a light weight pulley kit? seems like some good cheap horsepower there. brands, thoughs.....
thanks,
Jazz

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just ordered the AEM pulley set. i don't think these will help very much, but if they help any they will be worth the cheap price. Only $71 at options auto salon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got the Go Fast Bit pulley set. I would say that it free's horsepower rather then give it any. The car runs smoother down low, idles lower, i can tell that the power fades with all my headlights on and the heater on full.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Go fast bits is using an under drive set up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the GFB and noticed a difference immediately. it is both lightened and underdrive, but comes with an alternator pulley so the alternator is not underdriven (maybe a little, i'm not sure), just the a/c and p/s. in silver it's fairly stealth and not too hard to install. you need a 22mm for crank and 24mm for alt. also a breaker bar and a friend. if you need help email me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
received my GFB pulley kit Friday

Which way is this thing threaded ?(standard or reverse). With a 1/2" drive ratchet I pulled so hard I thought I was going to shoot a testicle across the drive way. When I began to turn the engine over with the tranny in fifth I backed off.
What gives?
- stock pulleys still in place.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've got the Vishnu crank pulley which supposedly turned out 7-8 hp on the dyno alone. Noticable gains after the install.

Had an aneurism(sp?) trying to take the stock pulley off. Had a 5' breaker bar too.

-- Rich

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: received my GFB pulley kit Friday

Jazz said:
Which way is this thing threaded ?(standard or reverse). With a 1/2" drive ratchet I pulled so hard I thought I was going to shoot a testicle across the drive way. When I began to turn the engine over with the tranny in fifth I backed off.
What gives?
- stock pulleys still in place.
You'll need an airgun to get the alternator pulley off. Other than that, you shouldn't have that much problem getting the crank pulley off. I used an 18 inch breaker bar with a pipe on the end of it. Came off pretty easy.:)

I didn't notice much in power gains, but it does rev faster.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i'd recommend the unorthodox as well- installed it w/ a fellow i-clubber up in MA, and compared mine w/ his vishnu pulley. the vishnu one is really nice- however, the UR is a *tad* lighter, b/c it's got holes drilled around the center axle.

all in all, the gains, i think, are noticeable- i hear good things about vishnu and GFB as well- though i can't tell you from butt-dyno experience what the differences actually are. let us know what you decide.

marcus

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got the GFB pulley kit installed. Amazing weight difference between stock crank pulley and the GFB. The harmonic dampening issue scares me a bit, but I'll trust the community's experience.
points-
1)Used green lock tite when reinstalling the crank pulley. temperature rated to 400F
2)torqued to 127 N/m
3)Voltage output after install- 14v. Any one have pre?
4)actual gains- hard to tell. I lack the savy.
- the airgun is your friend

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have some voltage issues. It's probably not a big deal, I am a bit paranoid. But at a traffic light with A/C on my Volts will drop to 12.3 - 12.5. One tap on the gas and they'll jump right back up to 13.9.

-- Rich

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used the Unorthodx Racing Ultra S pulley. 1.5lbs compared to 4.5lbs for the stock pulley. This pulley was supposed to be "The same size as Stock" so gains are from lightweight and not underdriving ( 85% of pulley gains are from reduced weight, underdriving accounts for the rest ). However, This pulley is actually a tiny bit larger than stock!..I am writing to UR about that...it does perform flawlessly, car revs easier and voltage check show everything in spec.

If you do buy this pulley for a MY02 WRX, you will need belt sizes 360K4 and 355K5 ..belt sizes listed by UR are way off and it took 4 trips to the parts store to find correct sizes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did anyone post if the crank bolt is reverse threaded or not?

UR pulley just sitting in the garage. :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
twinz said:
If you do buy this pulley for a MY02 WRX, you will need belt sizes 360K4 and 355K5 ..belt sizes listed by UR are way off and it took 4 trips to the parts store to find correct sizes.
Wait a minute! I need a different belt for the "stock diameter" pulley?!? That doesn't make any freaking sense! I guess I'll be forgetting about this mod.

-Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

Wait a minute! I need a different belt for the "stock diameter" pulley?!? That doesn't make any freaking sense! I guess I'll be forgetting about this mod.

-Jim
Yeah ditto, how can UR called it a stock replacement pully ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rob, the bolt has standard thread. you'll just need a lot of leverage to break the lock tite the factory set it with.
GFB pulley kit comes with the belts you need.
so far, power steering is fine and the altenator is putting out good juice (14v) at idle. I rarely use the A/C so I don't care about that (and haven't checked).
It seems to have been a worthwhile mod. As it was performed with a few other items it's difficult to tell what gains are from the pulleys.

·
Registered
202 Posts
WRXrumble said:

Yeah ditto, how can UR called it a stock replacement pully ?
yeah, it ticked me off..especially since at the point I found out was with radiator out and everything removed, new pulley installed and then..hmmm, stock belts dont fit on "stock size replacement" pulley...and then having to make numerous trips to the parts store to figure out correct belt sizes..arrgh!

I will post what I get from UR as a reply to this issue. I really want a stock size lightweight pulley and not an underdrive size.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts