ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the cobb light weight crank pulleys a good thing to get. I was told that it probably wouldnt do much for me, other than give me bad gas mileage.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Are the cobb light weight crank pulleys a good thing to get. I was told that it probably wouldnt do much for me, other than give me bad gas mileage.
an age-old debate, really. some people like them, others dont. the theory behind their use is reduced crank shaft weight. the less weight the shaft has to turn the (theoretically) quicker your engine will spool up.

i put a perrin crank pulley on, and the butt dyno says its faster spool. i dont know about the gas mileage part though, never really paid attention to it, other than looking for drastically unusual decreases.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have the GFB stealth pulley. I don't see how it could waste gas. I wanted it for the benefit of rising and falling through the rev range faster - this allows revmatching to take a little less time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
an age-old debate, really. some people like them, others dont. the theory behind their use is reduced crank shaft weight. the less weight the shaft has to turn the (theoretically) quicker your engine will spool up.

i put a perrin crank pulley on, and the butt dyno says its faster spool. i dont know about the gas mileage part though, never really paid attention to it, other than looking for drastically unusual decreases.
The butt dyno:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
314 Posts
hahaha great site lol i read a few reviews on the butt dyno and was like ok lol its a good joke, then i start lookin around the site lol 145k for a sub :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
0 Posts
if you have both a lightweight crank pulley and a lightweight flywheel, you'll throw CEL codes for a misfire on 1 & 3 or 2 & 4.. one of the two banks. something about the system reading timing too quickly? not totally sure, but this is what happened to me. i just had the codes disabled.

·
Registered
373 Posts
if you have both a lightweight crank pulley and a lightweight flywheel, you'll throw CEL codes for a misfire on 1 & 3 or 2 & 4.. one of the two banks. something about the system reading timing too quickly? not totally sure, but this is what happened to me. i just had the codes disabled.

but thats just underdriven right?? not a stock diameter light weight set?

·
Registered
0 Posts
but thats just underdriven right?? not a stock diameter light weight set?
Haha, I'm not too sure. I have the Perrin lightened crank pulley, which I'm pretty sure is stock diameter. And my lightened flywheel is the one that came with the Exedy Hyper Single-plate.

·
Registered
905 Posts
yeah the perrin lightweight pulley is stock diameter, just lighter. hence the name 'lightweight.'

·
Registered
0 Posts
i have the perrin pully its ok... great for rev matching

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
little things mean alot

yeah the perrin lightweight pulley is stock diameter, just lighter. hence the name 'lightweight.'
Just so others are aware, the GFB stealth pulley is advertised in this way as well, however - I noticed when I had them side by side that the OEM was about 1-2mm larger in diameter. I've had no adverse affects, but I thought it was odd.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just so others are aware, the GFB stealth pulley is advertised in this way as well, however - I noticed when I had them side by side that the OEM was about 1-2mm larger in diameter. I've had no adverse affects, but I thought it was odd.
thats good to know, ill have to remember that. thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
is there any whp gain with a light weight pulley?

·
Registered
0 Posts
is there any whp gain with a light weight pulley?
Nope. However, I think that a lightweight pulley will give you faster throttle response and make the car feel a little torquier overall. For sure, it'll make revs rise and fall throughout the rev range quicker, making things like rev matching easier.

·
Registered
280 Posts
is 1st to 2nd any smoother?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts