ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes have been operating really poorly lately so I took it in for warranty service. I knew the pads were probably toast, but the dealer confirmed it today. The car has just over 15k miles on it and they're replacing the front pads and rotors, thankfully for free due to Subaru's new warranty policy.

I've only tracked the car once for a full day, and I know from monitoring the brake pad level this really didn't do too much wear to them in the grand scheme of things. The brake fluid level itself was also low, which is really strange. I bought ATE Super Blue brake fluid to have the dealer put in instead of stock. A little more foresight and I would have had some stainless hoses to throw on at the same time.

Once warranty is up, I'm going to DBA slotted rotors and some high performance street track pads. I just didn't feel like upgrading when I'm getting the new set for free anyway.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,464 Posts
Nice of them to do so.

For pads my view is that there are two types: Ferodo, and darkness. There is Ferodo and there is chaos below.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
The fluid being low isn't really a surprise, think where the pistons sit inside the caliper when the brake pads are lower in life, the fluid fills the space the calipers once did. It goes back up once you replace the pads.

Interesting that they only lasted 15k miles though.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
The fluid being low isn't really a surprise, think where the pistons sit inside the caliper when the brake pads are lower in life, the fluid fills the space the calipers once did. It goes back up once you replace the pads.
this is truth. Never let anyone add brake fluid to your hydraulic system unless they do so AFTER replacing your brake pads. Your master cylinder is a reservoir, your brake system is air tight. Once the pads decrease the piston moves further to clamp down the rotor. Also the reservoir acts as a tell tale to yourself looking under the hood, if you have low fluid levels, check your pads!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Getting inspected this week. Guess I should check out those pads first since I am getting it inspected at a shop other than the dealer. Nothing shady, just have had great service at this place.

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even consider them being low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts