ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So increasingly over the last couple years it feels the drivetrain slop has increased. I have all the tranny bushings done, sti tranny mount, shifter bushings done, rear lockout bolts done, but stock motor mounts and pitch stop mount. I was convinced it was my transmission based on the decel noise I was getting, but after swapping my stock exhaust in (emissions) and doing a complete brake replacement and tire rotation, have come to realize there is nothing wrong with the tranny at all. It shifts buttery smooth, is quiet, although my clutch is getting ornery.

I have heard the stock 06 engine mounts were plastic garbage.

So, I know STI makes hardened motor mounts to complement the tranny mount I already have, and everyone makes a pitch stop mount.

How hard is it to change the engine mounts?

Does the pitch stop do that much?

·
Æternum
20,916 Posts
Pitch stops GREATLY increase the in-cabin noise from the engine. I personally love the sound, but if you want a quieter ride, I would suggest the Group-N pitch stop. FWIW, I have the AP pitch stop. The end that connects to the motor is completely devoid of bushings.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
2,497 Posts
Pitch stops GREATLY increase the in-cabin noise from the engine. I personally love the sound, but if you want a quieter ride, I would suggest the Group-N pitch stop. FWIW, I have the AP pitch stop. The end that connects to the motor is completely devoid of bushings.
Two follow-up questions since my curiosity is peaked: One...Why does it increase the noise? Two: What kind of sound is increased? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but...

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two follow-up questions since my curiosity is peaked: One...Why does it increase the noise? Two: What kind of sound is increased? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but...
I'd bet since it employs the use of endlinks instead of polymer bushings, it directly transmits engine vibrations to the firewall.

Which is an awesome point I had not thought about.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mind engine growl/exhaust noise, but I hate road/tire noise.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
I'd go with motor mounts over the pitch stop, personally.

zax said:
Group-N pitch stop isn't worth it, IMO. Every time I've held them side-by-side to OE, I can't see any significant benefit. There's a reason it's $35...

I installed a Beatrush pitch stop on a buddies car. Significant whine, but in a good way (I love NVH). Slight improvement in feel. Not as much as motor mounts did on my car.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd go with motor mounts over the pitch stop, personally.

Group-N pitch stop isn't worth it, IMO. Every time I've held them side-by-side to OE, I can't see any significant benefit. There's a reason it's $35...

I installed a Beatrush pitch stop on a buddies car. Significant whine, but in a good way (I love NVH). Slight improvement in feel. Not as much as motor mounts did on my car.
How hard were the motor mounts to install? Can it be done from underneath at oil change time?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
This. I just bought the beatrush pitch stop. It's just pretty to look at though. I bought it because I wanted to swap the stock one with the LGT. So I swapped the the AP one from my WRX to the LGT.

Why? Because the stock pitch stop is a combination of plastic/rubber designed to absorb the vibrations from the motor and driveline. It connects on the top of the transmission and the center of the firewall. Swapping it causes a substantial increase in the vibrations, and harshness that you'll feel and hear. It's usually referred to as NVH which is Noise/Vibration/Harshness. Zach can probably explain it better than I can.

Jeremy, I love the pitch stop. I agree with Zach and love the sound. As far as gains...I can't imagine that they are something noticeable unless you pair it with all the other driveline firming components (which you pretty much have.) As for changing the engine mounts, if I were doing it again, I'd pay someone. It can be done in your garage or on a lift, but it isn't exactly what I would consider easy. It also depends on how comfortable you are with jacking up the engine. I've read that some people drop the engine cross member, but this is something I wouldn't be too comfortable with doing. Trying to get the bolts to "bite" when putting the mounts back on the block is a PITA and your ability as a contorsionist will definitely be tested. On the passenger side you have to reach at the weirdest and most uncomfortable positions to install and remove the back bolt on the passenger side because the axle is in the way. I can't remember if the drivers side is the same though. That's my input on the subject.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I got a Kartboy pitch stop. Didn't notice much noise increase at all. I did feel some more vibration when moving out of idle. Not a bad thing. I like it. I think I did a write up in my build log if you want. The Kartboy one has two poly bushings - I'm not sure about other brands. I would go with Kartboy again.

I loved my groupN engine mounts. Increased noise way less than planned... unless you were in an rpm zone that you wanted noise (4k+)... then you feel the engine in my experience. I don't mind engine noise/vibration really at all, and I personally will consider going to a firmer mount over groupN if I do it again - I know its a significant jump.

I really couldn't imagine people complaining about increased NVH from either of the parts. The noise increase from both was way less than shifter modifications. Engine braking is a bit smoother - good trade off of what/if any increased vibration there is.

...My opinion on the matter at least.

EDIT: Install wise, I had my friend help me. He dropped the crossmember since we were in that area anyhow. They aren't easy, but I would feel comfortable doing them now that I've seen it before. I can't speak about the GD series, but the GR wasn't bad once you dropped the cross member at all. May have to take your front sway off as well - mine was already off. Was a bit tricky lower the engine onto the bolt studs - crow bar and a spare set of hands helped. The engine crossmember bolts, despite being huge, were way easier to remove than my 17mm transmission crossmember bolts (still haven't budged) and even my brake lines. No idea what Subaru has done to their torque wrenches. In summary: It's do-able. Just leave some spare time in case you get frustrated.

·
Æternum
20,916 Posts
Instead of a flexible plastic mount connecting the engine to the firewall, it is replaced by a stiff aluminum bar with much stiffer bushings. This transmits the vibrations much more effectively from the motor to the firewall, and the firewall serves to amplify the vibrations into audible noise. The firewall acts as a large transducer.

I agree as well, which is the reason that I did not purchase the Group-N for my car. I love the motor noise... at WOT, you can EASILY hear the motor more than before the install. The noise was the only improvement I noticed though...

·
8,921 Posts
I have Torque Solution motor mounts. They are awesome if you like solid motor mounts. :)

·
8,921 Posts
Also, Jeremy, I'm not sure how hard you are on your car but might I suggest the Beatrush rear diff bar. It keeps the diff in place...so no more clunk!

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, Jeremy, I'm not sure how hard you are on your car but might I suggest the Beatrush rear diff bar. It keeps the diff in place...so no more clunk!
I really don't have a rear clunk, just when I let all the way off the gas it feels like the motor physically moves and "thuds". It was worse when stage 2 but I believe that is because the engine braking is soo much more pronounced with the higher flowing DP.

I have been eyeing the group-n-mounts for $115, but it appears with the 06 you need some extra brackets?

·
8,921 Posts
I really don't have a rear clunk, just when I let all the way off the gas it feels like the motor physically moves and "thuds". It was worse when stage 2 but I believe that is because the engine braking is soo much more pronounced with the higher flowing DP.

I have been eyeing the group-n-mounts for $115, but it appears with the 06 you need some extra brackets?
I don't think you do? Mine didn't come with plates and I just reused the ones that came off the stock mounts. But I can't speak for the Group-Ns.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I still get the thud for reference. It's more dependent on the tune I've found actually.

Some 06s required the brackets I remember. No real rhyme or reason, but Subaru used a weird pillow type mount or something for a select bunch of 06s if I remember right. You'll have to read around a bit.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I guess I'll shimmy under the car tonight and investigate the motor mounts.

I have been looking at pitch stops, and I like the Torqued solutions and Kartboy because of the urethane bushings at both ends.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Well I guess I'll shimmy under the car tonight and investigate the motor mounts.

I have been looking at pitch stops, and I like the Torqued solutions and Kartboy because of the urethane bushings at both ends.
No complaints about the Kartboy. I got it as an add on bonus with a group buy. I'm sure if you shop around you can find one on a part out or whatnot. If it is the same as the STi one, which I'd say is a safe bet, don't forget to check other places like iwsti marketplace and whatnot. Not like a used pitch stop will be any different than a new one.

If I remember correctly, the motor mounts will look significantly different if you got the weird ones. If they look like the groupN ones, you should be okay. I believe the pillow/liquid ones look somewhat like a slim metal 'pod' of sorts without any visible black rubber. I'd bring a small mirror with you to get a look over the crossmember. Keep the fingers crossed. I think the brackets can be taken off of a stock set of normal mounts - probably cheap.

·
8,921 Posts

Get the beat rush. Forged and 130 bucks...it's winning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts