ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 05 WRX that needs new front brakes. I called my local dealers, and they want $94.95 for the rotors. Each. And they want $94.95 for the pad sets. Each. That seems pricey to me. I can do BMW brakes for that.
I'm new to the WRX world, and I'm not familiar with the suppliers. Can somebody recommend a good quality aftermarket supplier, or a cheaper place to get OE? Thanks in advance.
Dan

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
Those prices are not bad at all. You might be able to do BMW brakes with eBay parts for that much.

EBC pads are on sale on several websites for ~$50, but that's about as cheap as you're gonna get with good parts.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
autozone or checkers rotors...

unless you drive aggressively, the general consensus is to buy cheap rotors and quality pads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered yesterday from importrp.com. OE Brembo rotors, and EBC reds, and shipping = $231. Beats the heck out of $400. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I don't know about the reds, but note that the OEM pads would have come with a full hardware kit included. It adds up to a lot if you buy it one piece at a time. I would recommend getting the sliders though at least.

(not recommending OEM pads necessarily, I don't run them - Axxis pads and the whatever (wearever actually :rotfl:) rotors from AZ. I ordered the front Brembos off ebay but they sent the NA Imprezza ones which fortunately ended up fitting the Outback)

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
oh sht.... See if you can return the reds for the greens.. or at least the yellows. There is no one that should drive on reds as a daily driven vehicle.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Why not Reds?
I've heard several places that the reds are just too aggressive... tearing rotors up pretty quickly, warping rotors quickly, pads don't last very long, extreme brake dust, squeaky as hell, etc...

Unless the OP is planning on tracking, I would think the yellows would be a better plan... lower dust, lower squeak, last longer, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I've heard several places that the reds are just too aggressive... tearing rotors up pretty quickly, warping rotors quickly, pads don't last very long, extreme brake dust, squeaky as hell, etc...

Unless the OP is planning on tracking, I would think the yellows would be a better plan... lower dust, lower squeak, last longer, etc.

So they don't tear up rotors as quick anymore... did they fix any of the rest of this stuff?

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
Not sure what you're talking about considering Reds are by far the least dusty of all the EBC performance pads.

I can't address the rest of those personally. You did recommend Yellows though which will be dustier, louder, and more harsh on the rotors, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Not sure what you're talking about considering Reds are by far the least dusty of all the EBC performance pads.

I can't address the rest of those personally. You did recommend Yellows though which will be dustier, louder, and more harsh on the rotors, so I'm not sure what to tell you.
I guess it's all hearsay then... because most of the reviews that I've read disagree with your opinion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I have an 05 WRX that needs new front brakes. I called my local dealers, and they want $94.95 for the rotors. Each. And they want $94.95 for the pad sets. Each. That seems pricey to me. I can do BMW brakes for that.
I'm new to the WRX world, and I'm not familiar with the suppliers. Can somebody recommend a good quality aftermarket supplier, or a cheaper place to get OE? Thanks in advance.
Dan
Try Rockauto.com
I got new Monroe OE replacement pads all around for less then $70 after rebate shipped to me. I lucked up and found that deal at the right time, but I think that rebate offer is over. But they always have some type of sell, plus they're normal prices are usually cheaper than what you were quoted. Try a local machine shop to see if your rotors can be turned, it should be cheaper than new ones, if they still have life in them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts