ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo its getting close to comming home time, and I'm currently working with a dealership to find an 05 Aspen White STi for me when I get home. Nothing has been finalized yet, so I'm still looking around at other options, and after seeing a few Legacy Spec B GT's for sale at the same price range it sparked my memory that they were comparable in some way's to the WRX/STi. Using the internet out here is more a test of patience than practical so I was hoping that some of the more versed forum members could help me out.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Soo its getting close to comming home time, and I'm currently working with a dealership to find an 05 Aspen White STi for me when I get home. Nothing has been finalized yet, so I'm still looking around at other options, and after seeing a few Legacy Spec B GT's for sale at the same price range it sparked my memory that they were comparable in some way's to the WRX/STi. Using the internet out here is more a test of patience than practical so I was hoping that some of the more versed forum members could help me out.
I believe in 06 the Spec B got the six speed option. I honestly wouldnt consider the 05 simple due to this fact.

The Spec is a bit bigger, more upscale interior, less "look at me" styling, less powerful, and doesnt handle as well.

Coming from someone who has owned a 06 wrx LTD and a 07 STI....the Spec B would more then likely fit my style better. The average owner doesnt need the power the STI has nor it's handling. The Spec. B is a cool little car and once you go stage 2 on it good bye.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The Spec B does not use the same flange style turbo as the STi, so if you plan on upgrading, it will cost you considerably more.

Also, i do not beleive that the 6-speed in the LGT spec B is the same as the STi.

Legacy wont handle as well and there is not as much aftermarket support for it.

Legacy doesn't have the boy racer appeal and attention that you may or may not want in a car.

Legacy B has SI drive (which is apparently awesome)

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
The six speed is identical as far as gearing it just doesnt have the DCCD.

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
The six speed is identical as far as gearing it just doesnt have the DCCD.
+1. It's the same trans and rear diff.

Resale on the STi will be better, but since you are looking at used, the big chunk that disappears when buying know is already adsorbed, so this probably isn't a huge issue.

If you are going to be driving a lot, I'd recommend the Spec B. The STi is much rougher over the long haul (if that is a concern).

I liked my LegacyGT over the STi as a DD due to it's comfort level and ability (at stage 2) to pretty much take on and beat most cars out there in a straight line. A very good sleeper as the popo don't even notice it.

Parts are a tad more expensive on the Spec B, but nothing to really be concerned about. As noted above, if you are going to go big turbo, then then intake manifold and turbo orientation require more money to address, but there are used parts on the market already, so I wouldn't make this a huge concern.

It's a tough choice. "Look at me and fear me" STi or "I'll subtly blow you away" Spec B.:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts