Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a light bar on my 2004 WRX. I know there are people out there that have done this. I want to do it for the light at night, not for the "coolness" factor. So I'd like to see pictures of those cars out there who have them and get everyone's opinion on a good light bar and how they like it.

· ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,813 Posts
I'm looking to put a light bar on my 2004 WRX. I know there are people out there that have done this. I want to do it for the light at night, not for the "coolness" factor. So I'd like to see pictures of those cars out there who have them and get everyone's opinion on a good light bar and how they like it.
Have you looked at driving lights as well? There might be some driving light options that are in a better form factor for mounting to your car, and provide just as much, if not more output. Just a thought.

I found a true HID retrofit (with proper HID projectors, OEM ballasts, etc) provided a tremendous improvement in light output for around $350. Plus, it's usable for low and high beams, unlike a light bar.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
Make sure you're running quality bulbs in low-/high-beams:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/exterior-appearance/134386338-how-improve-your-headlights.html

If that is still not sufficient, consider traditional "driving lights", as suggested earlier. Driving lights should be mounted at headlight level, or higher.

You do NOT want to mount your LED bar like posted earlier. For the same reason you don't run fog lights unless they're needed, an LED bar at fog light level is a downgrade.

· Registered
114 Posts
Make sure you're running quality bulbs in low-/high-beams:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/exterior-appearance/134386338-how-improve-your-headlights.html

If that is still not sufficient, consider traditional "driving lights", as suggested earlier. Driving lights should be mounted at headlight level, or higher.

You do NOT want to mount your LED bar like posted earlier. For the same reason you don't run fog lights unless they're needed, an LED bar at fog light level is a downgrade.
Just curious on this; even if you aim the bar tilted more upwards? I know with any light application having bright spot near the car is always a bad thing for long distance vision but for off road application I'm wondering though.

· Super Moderator
2,722 Posts
Not on my WRX, but I mounted a 32" OPT7 C2 Flood/Spot combo on top of my Outback. I mounted it inside the front of my Yakima basket, so it was hidden behind the flip-down fairing.

I bought it from Amazon last May for $200, but they are $136 now. http://amzn.to/2fR0Dbu OPT7 seems to be one of the better regarded mid-tier LED light companies.

Now it is mounted on my 4Runner. Here's the output from the Xenon Depot HID 4300k Philips low beam kit. (all photos taken in manual mode with the same exposure for accurate comparison.)

and here's the output with just the LED light bar.

You DO NOT want to use these on public roads!

And just for gits and shiggles, here's the output on the 4Runner with the HID low beams, stock high beams, OPT7 32" light bar, and Baja Design Squadron-R Pro amor wide/cornering fogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.