Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through all the different DIY's for the LED conversions the two places mentioned are Radioshack, SuperBrightLED, and a couple others there and there.

The ones at Radioshack aren't 12v bulbs and need a resistor added. My Soldering skills are non-existant and I'm not aware of anyone else that knows how either. I actually have these bulbs already but I'm not keen on tackling this idea lol

I went to SuperBright and the only T3 neowedge they have are the flat versions. It wasn't mentioned in any of the DIY's if this is what they use, but from experience I doubt it. I think it'd cut off the illumination of some of the letters. The DIY's do link to some inverted or protruding LED bulbs but they have been discontinued from the site. Anyone have any experience using those flat top bulbs? I know they where originally what was in my gauge cluster and they sucked lol

I looked on Ebay/Amazon but I only need four bulbs in three different colours... not 10 flat top bulbs in each three colours. I found a few packs with less bulbs but the pricing was ridiculous and shipping was more than the actual bulbs. I also found a few packs with more than one colours in it but they where the wrong colour combinations.

I looked at a couple electronics sites with bulbs with built in resistors but the sites where either way too confusing in some way or another or wanted you to order in bulk. I only need four not 300+ lol

Anyone else have any better ideas?

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
So if I had this problem I would:

1) Not do the conversion at all and just be happy with things as they are.
2) If set on converting, just simply tackle the soldering task. If you want to modify/tinker/make/build you've got to start somewhere. Learning by doing is best and ultimately satisfying if one does not give up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely two options? I refuse to believe it. Someone's had to have found another solution I hadn't thought of lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up coming up with a solution.

I took the LED bulbs I got for the gauge cluster and disassembled a couple of them to light up the buttons. (Image of what was left over from the different bulbs)
0723181208a.jpg

Took the wedge bulb out of its socket and stuck the other LED in there instead. It's a bit bigger but it fits in the hole for the old bulb on the button. I left some space between the wedge socket and the bulb to make sure it lit up all the letters on the button.
0730181739.jpg

Now the only issue is that the two buttons are quite a bit brighter than all the rest of the gauges. (I've no idea why this last image is upside down, it's the right direction on my PC)
0723182334a.jpg

I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done to dim those bulbs a bit of not but I'm open to suggestions.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I am chuckling as i type........ In the pic anyway, they don't look too different (than the others) to me; I might just leave it. Buuuuuuuttttttt, you could solder a resistor in-line with that new bulb to dim it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahaha I was hoping that anything to dim them wouldn't end up involving soldering. I was thinking about the other end of the bulb, like a diffuser or something. Generally diffusers are used to evenly distribute the light but I do think they have the added side effect of dimming it just a bit. A bit is all I'd want but I'm not an expert with lighting and maybe someone would come along in this here post and shed some knowledge.

Yeah, it's hard to tell from the pics how much brighter they are. I wouldn't honestly care but it is a slight bit distracting. Granted, the distraction could go away once I'm used to having lights in the buttons again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed some G20 LED conversion bulb on my ride and they are awesome. Installation only took about 15 minutes for both headlights. My eyesight is not that good and these really help out with visibility at night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts