·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Installed it over the weekend:

Quality: seems to be of very good quality as are most Perrin products
Installation: was a breeze.
Price: worth every penny
Thoughts: definitely a must have mod. Cheap, quick and easy to install and made a world of difference. The engagements feel much more deliberate without all the excess slop. Dissappointed that the car didn't feel like this from the factory. The throw still feels long to me even with the STS, but I'm getting used to it. I know there are aftermarket solutions for this, but hate to have to buy something again that I've already paid for. Why Subaru included an adjustable gate stop for 5-6 and not 1-2 is just puzzling.

That's about it. Still cresting over 30 MPG on my city/hwy mixed daily commute. Been paying a little attention to the truck lately since the paint has gone to crap ever since she lost her garage space. Been taking turns driving both vehicles and as smitten as I am with the WRX, I still LOVE my truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Been a while. Looks like 8 months from the previous post..

So, after almost a full year of ownership and around 8800 miles, I finally did it. Found a Craigslist deal that I couldn't pass up and got to meet a cool fellow gear head in the process.

Stage 1 OTS flash and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. Car feels smoother, more predictable, fuel economy seems to have improved and possibly a tad quicker. Engine seems happy on the tune according to the AP.

Haven't done anything to her up to this point. Been working on upkeep and maintenance on the truck mostly. Car is still impressing me with fuel economy every day. According the optimistic on-board computer I've been averaging 29.3 MPG over the life of the vehicle. Hand calculated I'm averaging 26.8 with a best of 28.9 on a tank. I really couldn't be happier with that.

Also, I'd say around the 5k mile mark, the car stopped falling on it's face after 5500 RPM and starting pulling smooth all the way to red line. Still happy with the tune so far though. That's all for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nice.
My display says 35.4 mpg for life of the vehicle at 37,000 miles now.
Incredible! What's your commute like? Driving habits?

I've always wondered what somebody with a light foot could squeeze out of one of these, as I've actually got an admittedly heavy foot as well as a mixed commute. But I've recently read a post by an owner that said he rarely ever went WOT or ran A/C. Regardless, I'm truly impressed by what this little engine has to offer though, and it's still continuing to climb. It stayed at 28.9 forever and I thought that it had plateaued, but then continued to climb after a while. I'm positive I haven't seen the best number yet, but I doubt I'll ever see 35.4.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Installed it over the weekend:
The throw still feels long to me even with the STS, but I'm getting used to it. I know there are aftermarket solutions for this, but hate to have to buy something again that I've already paid for.
sti short throw only reduces the throw by 10% :(

also love your car, my second choice would have been white too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
sti short throw only reduces the throw by 10% :(

also love your car, my second choice would have been white too
Yeah, pretty disappointing. I'm used to it now and the added shift stop definitely helped. But the last few manual sports cars I owned had much more deliberate shifter feel, both stock and aftermarket.

Thank you! Yeah, I'm hooked on the white for sure.

·
Super Modulator
19,548 Posts

·
Water.....sometimes waves
2,172 Posts
Incredible! What's your commute like? Driving habits?

I've always wondered what somebody with a light foot could squeeze out of one of these, as I've actually got an admittedly heavy foot as well as a mixed commute. But I've recently read a post by an owner that said he rarely ever went WOT or ran A/C. Regardless, I'm truly impressed by what this little engine has to offer though, and it's still continuing to climb. It stayed at 28.9 forever and I thought that it had plateaued, but then continued to climb after a while. I'm positive I haven't seen the best number yet, but I doubt I'll ever see 35.4.
Rarely WOT and rarely A/C is me also. No downshifting; coast to stops. Mostly country roads, small towns and a 4-lane stretch to/from work. Upshift at 2000-2500 rpm mostly. There a 'sticky' thread on here somewhere laying out all sorts of things one can do for fuel mileage; I do many of them most to the time. Don't track the car at all. I rarely drive it like a sporty car - just as a commuter. But I want the power to pass when I want to and I want the AWD for the winter here. Glad you are enjoying yours.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
1 Year Review

I'm right at a year of ownership and still shy of the 10k mile mark. I split duty between the truck and car with the car maybe doing 85% of the lifting, but it's pretty nice to be putting less than 10k a year on my vehicles. There was a couple year period where I was doing about 30K/year on the truck... misery. So here's a quick list on my thoughts:

GRIPES

-Center Armrest Extension- I know folks swear by this option and see it as a "must-have", but I've honesty found it worthless. I've left it in the lower position for a long time now. I don't rest my elbow on it and find it intrusive when shifting. I might be the only one. On that same note, I find shifting to be awkward if you have anything tall in the cup holders as well.

-Starlink- straight poop

-SPT Exhaust- I'm happy with the sound, but my God are those double wall beveled tips ever impossible to keep clean??

-Short Throw Shifter- Was not satisfied with this from the go. Perrin shift stop improved the experience tremendously and I'm used to it now, but will probably still throw in an aftermarket bushing and possibly adapter down the road.

-Clutch Takeup- I've found to be a bit inconsistent. Or at least the engine speed that it wants to be smooth. Especially when you add in Hill Start Assist or Air Conditioning. Really makes you think about how to drive her.

-Options I couldn't buy- I'd still want 18" wheels and LED headlights if they would have let me. These light's definitely aren't very impressive.

-Storage- So I still haven't found a great place to store a gun, but in retrospect this saved me from having a gun ripped off. Back in January, I was a part of a rash of thefts that took place in my area, and by circumstance, I happened to be working on the truck that evening and it stayed in the garage and the WRX was left in the driveway. Litarally could have been the only time this ever happened. They busted out my passenger window and got nothing. Left me having to deal with replacing my window and having to have it re-tinted. So aggravating. Thankfully, in my state I was able to forego a deductible, so it just cost me some time and headache. Not to mention some additional security countermeasures around the house. And to top that all off, I'm still not totally happy with how everything turned out. I didn't stand over the tech who did the jobs shoulder very long as I don't like people over my shoulder while I work either, but the little bit of time I was there, I watched dude drop a screwdriver (bit side first) down on my external sill plate (you know, the one you always clip with your heel during egress -another minor gripe-). Upon further inspection during my next detailing, it appears that it created a chip that has also began to spiderweb the clear-coat... Lovely. AND the cable is fraying (don't know how this happened), so it's leaving greasy streaks and probably scratches on the inside of the glass. I discovered it after I went back in to investigate. Fixed it a little, but it's still a problem, which may lead to a bigger problem soon (Cable breaks because it's binding on something). AND, the window action is still not smooth. Like he left a lot of glass dust in the tracks or something. Overall, just absolutely maddening. Sorry for the rant. Also, sort of on the same subject, after a year of driving, I've got one decent chip (down to the primer) on my A-pillar and a small rock chip on the windshield. It could be worse.

-Vinyl Emblem Overlays- Still on the fence about ripping these off. I have a second set if I decide I miss them.

NOT A GRIPE ANY MORE

-Lumbar Support- So I've sounded off on this subject a couple times here and in a gripes thread in NASIOC, but somewhere along that thread somebody (in true NASIOC fashion) said "scoot your butt all the way back, quit slouching, and get some core strength" or something to that effect. And at first I was like "what a douche" even though he wasn't actually addressing me personally BUT, I sort of took it to heart. I started to sit with my butt all the way back in the crease as well as shored up my core, not because of this dude, but because I'd been working out anyway, and low and behold, it doesn't bother me any more. So that's good.

LOVES

-Kicker Speaker Upgrade- Very satisfied I ponied up for this option

-Cobb AP and Tune- SO happy I've done this now, especially for the price I paid. Has made the car even more pleasing to drive. No regrets whatsoever.

-Windshield Tint- I'll never have another car without it. Truly game-changing. I took her down even further from an 80% CXP to a 60% ceramic. LOVE this mod.

OVERALL

Still love the car. Very happy with it and it's fun to be able to drive it every day. Fuel economy, performance, and handling still at the top of what makes this vehicle great and I don't see that changing. So yeah... Here's to many years and miles to come. Looking forward to the journey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did your alarm not go off when they busted the window?
No, as far as I know factory alarms never do. Unless the doors are unlocked from the inside. I had my truck broken into in similar fashion a long time ago. What the thieves do, is punch a small opening in the glass and pry the window out. They basically yank the whole shattered sheet of glass out because it holds together if tinted. Then they just lean in and take what they can reach. It's always the passenger side because that's the side that the glove box is on. As far as I know, no factory alarms have an actual tremble or glass breakage sensor. They literally only work if the car is armed and somebody unlocks the car from the inside from what I've experienced.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts