ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CURRENT PICTURE

Port-Installed Accessories as ordered:
(09W) Auto - Dimming Mirror with Compass and HomeLink (R)
(09Y) Fog Light Kit
(K8H) Center Armrest Extension
(IYT) (DCN DCF DCG PEK) Kicker Audio Upgrade Package #2 Special Value Pricing
(IZG) (03P J8A 041 04M) WRX SPORT PACKAGE - 17" WHEELS, SPT STi Exhaust, Short Throw Shifter, STi Shift Knob

EXTERIOR
- Debadged trunk
- Blacked emblems
- Emblem overlays
- 20% CXP tint, 60% Ceramic windsheild
- Blacked Headlights
- Clear Bra
- Rally Armor Flaps

INTERIOR
-Perrin Shift Stop

PERFORMANCE
-Cobb Access Port on Stage 1 93 OTS tune

SUSPENSION
-Stock

WHEELS/TIRES
-Stock STi 17" 15 spokes

First post and very happy to be here. I've wanted a Subaru WRX STi since they came out and have been a Subaru fan my entire life. My first car was a 1986 Subaru XT that my dad bought brand new in 1985 and handed down to me as my first car. It was way ahead of it's time and absolutely unbreakable. Believe me, I tried.

Where I'm coming from

This was my current DD until the WRX came in:

It's a 2005 V8 4wd Toyota 4Runner that I've had since 2006 and love the truck to death. It's got over 208K on the clock and still runs like new. I've also owned a 1998 Honda Accord Sedan and 2003 Nissan 350z as primaries and recently had some stints with a 1999 Procharged Cobra Convertible, 1992 Mustang LX coupe drag car, and a 1998 Cobra coupe for toy cars. Found out Fords aren't for me. Anybody interested in the 4Runner backstory can see my build thread here, but be warned, it's a long thread.

So as I shopped for a new car I tried not to take anything off the table. Even used GT-R's were in the discussion, but with the sticker price, the fact that it would be a daily, and that I'm soon to be a father of two, that conversation was short lived. Browsed German cars and the frankly the cost of ownership just scared me away. Enter the Subaru STi. As I did more and more research, once again, the practical side of me won out. I couldn't justify purchasing the STi. Higher price, older engine, big wing for a daily car that I don't plan on tracking. WRX just made more sense for me. Fuel economy actually ended up being the kicker for me. Ordered a base because options that I'm not willing to pay for: Sunroof, leather, nav, push button start. Got the options I was willing to pay for. Subaru's configurations are a little frustrating. Had it my way, I would have added 18" wheels and LED headlights, but oh well. Also never been a "new car" guy, but for what these things do in resale, I couldn't NOT buy the car new. Didn't make any sense for me to buy it used. Toyota trucks are sort of the same in this regard.

I ordered the car on 5/19 and it arrived 6/30.

Getting to the dealer with base wheels:

STi wheels installed at the dealer:

Debadged and first detailing:

Driveway "action" shots after some Plastidip and emblem overlays:

The fleet:

Car was hurting for some tint, so I just got that done. First time driving around in a non-tinted car in I don't know how long. Was like being in a fish bowl. Not to mention the A/C couldn't get the car cool enough. So far about half a tank of fuel and a little over 200 miles on the clock. Still easing her in to service.

I'm really loving what I'm seeing regarding aftermarket support on these vehicles compared to my 4Runner.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The Good:

- I like the car a lot
- Grip for days
- Great visibility
- The ride is actually a lot smoother than I expected. Very pleased with the ride quality as well as handling.
- Car even actually rides quieter than I expected as well
- The exhaust sound is great
- The stereo is pretty darn good
- Boost
- Clutch feels great and is easy to live with
- Good ground clearance

If I'm being critical:

- I expected more from the Short Throw. If this is short, I'd hate to see what the standard throw is. It's also sloppier than I care for. Maybe I've gotten used to the Mustang shifters.
- I like the seats, but the lumber could use some more support or at least some adjust-ability and the seat bottoms are pretty darn hard. Riding on my wallet gets painful pretty quickly.
- Car definitely likes revs. I'm used to larger displacement engines where torque comes in a little quicker.

Overall, I'm loving it. I think we're gonna be happy together. Don't know how long I can hold to this but I actually plan on keeping the mods minimal.

Up next will be blacking out the headlights, I've got a clear bra, gloss black vinyl to wrap the roof panel in, and some rally flaps inbound.

The map for future mods is probably just a full LED swap, Stage 1 tune, TGV/EGR deletes, EBC, AOS and that's probably it. Possibly a set of lowering springs. Anyway, thanks for looking. Look forward to being a part of the Subaru community!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice. STI wheels look great on it. I'm Silver 4Runner IS300 on T4R.org. About to hit 5k on my limited CWP. Love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
For External Use Only
3,886 Posts
Im a fan of those STi option wheels, they look great especially on white and black.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm happy to see one of my customers actually having fun with their WRX. It's been like a week and you already have stuff going!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking fleet!
Thank you sir. Just finished up the black headlight mod. Wasn't a terrible job, but trying to juggle doing that, while throwing my daughter a birthday bash and awaiting the, any day, arrival of my son has been a challenge. We were in the hospital all night last night after an exhausting weekend waiting on this dude to come.

Regarding the recent mod though, this car is very modder friendly and comes apart and back together very easy. The no bake sealant is very nice, but presents challenges of it's own when working with it. I'll post pics when I get the a few more things done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Grats on the car man. But to talk about you feeling like the short throw is not short and weird, i would get it checked out because I, with my 2014 wrx hatchback got the sti short throw installed and I felt the same exact way, so I went and bought a Killer B STShifter. When I did the install I realized I most certainly did not have an STi short throw, it was wrx base stock. Luckily I got it removed off of my payments. I would check the same for yourself man.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well congrats on the incoming baby and happy modding! Looking forward to seeing more progress...

Cheers!
Thank you!

Grats on the car man. But to talk about you feeling like the short throw is not short and weird, i would get it checked out because I, with my 2014 wrx hatchback got the sti short throw installed and I felt the same exact way, so I went and bought a Killer B STShifter. When I did the install I realized I most certainly did not have an STi short throw, it was wrx base stock. Luckily I got it removed off of my payments. I would check the same for yourself man.
Thanks for the heads up man. Is there anything I can look for that would tell me what's in there? Would be strange for them to have installed all of my other options except for that one. I'm thinking the next mod is going to be shift stops to tighten things up. Maybe when I install that, I can see what's in there. I talked to my sales rep, who's also a WRX owner and he said that it felt right to him when he drove it.

UPDATE

So baby arrived last Monday 7/11/16. James 5lb 5oz 18". Mom and baby are doing great. I'll post a pic in my 4Runner build. Been a little hard to find time to get anything done, but I managed to do a little.

Thank goodness I got the headlights done before he came.

Here are pics since:
- Tints
- Headlights
- Clear Bra
- RA flaps

What kind of a monster would do this to a car with only 400 miles on the clock lol?

Ooorah stickers because... Marines.

Items of note/Lessons learned:

- Love my tints. Putting clear tints on the windshield of the WRX and my wife's Venza has been a game changer. The heat, IR, UV rejection are big.
- Love the headlights. Again, I appreciate the no bake sealant. Item of note: remove the boomerang socket/bulb before separating the lens from the housing or you could break something. Ask me how I know.
- Clear bra... Ugh. Not a great job for somebody who has little to no experience installing them and is a perfectionist. Lesson learned. Now I know why my local installer quoted so much to put one on. It's on there and should be functional. Ain't pretty though.
- Rally Flaps: After fighting with the clear bra, this install was very satisfying. Quick, easy, straight forward and provides both form and function. Still in awe by how easy these cars are to take apart and work on. Though it's the first car I've ever had to remove the entire bumper cover in order to remove the headlamp housings.

Still have a roll of gloss black vinyl for wrapping the roof awaiting install. I went to install it yesterday, but decided against it. Still on the fence. The car has been sitting in the garage for the last two weeks awaiting all this paint protective equipment, so I've still only got 450 miles on it. About to head out on a long drive today and hope to get a least one full tank through her.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks good! Do you have any close ups of the clear bra? I'm curious how well it turned out. I say go for the black vinyl wrap. They look awesome with tinted windows...especially as contrast against the pearl white.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good! Do you have any close ups of the clear bra? I'm curious how well it turned out. I say go for the black vinyl wrap. They look awesome with tinted windows...especially as contrast against the pearl white.
Thanks man. Frankly I'm embarrassed to show anything too close up on it lol. Honestly, for folks that don't know what they're looking for, they can't even tell it's on there. I'm just super OCD. I can see if I can take a good shot of one of the break lines so that you can see it and maybe try to spot any sheen differences between the PPF and the cars clear. Appreciate the encouragement regarding the wrap. I love the look for sure. My wife's Venza has a panoramic roof and I saw a new white M3 with a black roof on it the other day that sold me. The difference is, the panoramic glass vs a sticker. I'm gun shy because I just spent some time removing some racing stripes off of my old Cobra and it was a major PITA. For all I know, those stripes could have been 18 years old. I'm just leery because it's black so it'll just be baking the adhesive and heat cycling over time. I'd hate to end up ruining my new paint over it.

Looks good man, sub'd for progress/ :thumbup:

I was also a pretty early modder. I think I had my flaps installed at under 30 miles lol. Didn't start touching the engine until around 3k though.
Thank you! 30 miles sheesh?? I probably had at least twice that by the time I got back from the dealer. Plan is to keep from messing with the engine too much for a while. It's proving to be hard though. I just passed up a killer Craigslist deal on a Cobb AP. I'm definitely not loving the factory throttle feel.

Went on my long drive and took her through as many twisties as I could find locally. The tenacity of the vehicle is just ridiculous and all while getting over 30 MPG. Insane. My car says it's done about 27.5 MPG over her first tank and a half. I couldn't be happier with that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got to take a couple road trips over the weekend and stretch her legs. Took an hour trip down the interstate to the VA hospital on Friday. Car does amazing on the freeway. However at the speeds that I travel, fuel economy begins to suffer a little. Driving back roads at about 60, I can pull down around mid 30's in MPG. At 80 that tends to drop to around 30 or just below. Still amazing. Also in top gear just a quick stab of the throttle will blip you to 95 MPH in a blink. Awesome.

Then yesterday, headed up to the mountains to let her do her thing on some nice twisties. After that, my two favorite things about the car are still it's relentless grip and incredible fuel economy. Was doing about 30 MPG going up the mountain and around 40 coming down. Utterly ridiculous. My trip computer says I've been doing 28.3 MPG over these first 3 tanks and hand calculated it comes in closer to 25.3. I'll take it for sure. Also finally hit my 1000 mile mark on this trip yay!:woocow: Took a month to get there.

Picture of her at a trail head in the mountains:

Boring I know. I've found that pics of this car are very vanilla. With the truck, I could shoot pictures of it climbing things and getting muddy and being clean and stuff, but not really sure what to do with this one. Especially since I've got the exterior close to where I want it already so the shots end up looking all the same.

Oh I did do a neat thing and disable the seat belt chime! How awesome that there's a built in option to do that?? Those things are so effing annoying.

So I also learned that my initial complaint about the lack of lumbar support in the seat is very legit for my posture. I'm being punished when riding in it for extended periods. I'm going to have to invest in some sort of peripheral support or something. I'm sure the leather seats offer a bit more support and adjust-ability. All my cars with leather have been pretty good in that department where as my cloth cars have been hit or miss. The Subie seems to be a miss in lumbar. Side bolstering is great, but lower lumbar and cushion...meh.

Next issue that I've observed and not a huge deal, is the laggy refresh rate of the back up camera. Resolution is pretty good though. Minor gripe. It works as it should.

And finally, I've searched forums, but haven't really seen what folks are doing regarding this issue. I've not driven a compact as a DD in a long time. But where the hell do people keep their guns in these little cars? If anybody that reads the build would like to chime in with suggestions, I'm all ears. My other cars have tons of storage options. Hell the 4Runner even has a hidden compartment within the regular glove box that I've manage to fit full size pistols in.

Anyway, that's it for now. Perrin shift stops are probably next on the docket, whenever I get around to it. Thanks for stopping by!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts