ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving to Colo. Springs friday night, and decided to take the tollway to avaoid 5 o'clock traffic on and around T-rex. I'm cruzing along, and all of a sudden, BING BING BING BING BING....LAZER flashes on my radar detector. SLAM on the brakes, eagle eyes start looking for fuzz.......nothing. Not a cop anywhere. So...i kick the cruize on again, flying......BING BING BING BING BING....LAZER again flashes. Boom, slam on brakes, eagle eyes, nothing. I couldn't see anything anywhere. So this happened 6 times, between the second toll booth and the colo. springs exit. So, i'm thinking that there was either a plane which i couldn't see (although i'm not sure if planes can use lazer), or a lot of sneaky cops hiding in places i couldn't see. Or, my last thought, was that photo radar is enforced on the E-470 tollway. Either way, i was pretty nervouse a couple times, but thankfully never the bastards. If i get 6 photo tickets in the mail i am gonna fip out. Anyways, thought i would see if anyone knew anything about photo radar on E-470, and also give a warning to those who have a heavy foot. Watch out on the tollway!

Here's to mon-daze...............

Peace,
nick

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I don't know what caused your detector to go off.

But, I think it's really F'd up to ticket toll paying motorists.

Sometimes I see smokey camped on the E. Jewel overpass. He snagged a cobra I was cruising with at like... 10-12 over. That really burns me up. There is nothing out there.

:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
514 Posts
So there's this guy who got a photo radar ticket in the mail... $20.

He decides to be clever, and so he photocopies a picture of a $20 bill and mails it to the cops. A week later he gets an envelope in the mail with a picture of handcuffs.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Avoid photo tickets for good! www.photoblocker.com I got the spray! Ive been flashed 3 times now, and have yet to recieve a ticket! It has been a few months since the last time :)

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
Planes cannot use laser. Planes use "it took that car X seconds to travel Y feet, therefore the speed is Z mph". Laser cannot be used in a moving vehicle since it is only time-of-flight. Radar can be used while moving because it compares a moving object with its surroundings.... which is presumably the earth. Of course, in a snow storm, the moving snow will likely be the relative thingy.

I have an older V1. Well, not old.. they're on version 1.8, I have 1.7. Anyways, the brake lights from new Trailblazers and the other crappy US SUV that's the same thing will set off my laser.... it's annoying as piss. Also, red neon lights like around Hollywood Video.

·
Registered
659 Posts
jibco said:
Where have you been flashed? I haven't seen any yet.....
Places in boulder... Express lane of i-25 this photoblocker **** saves my ass!

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
And just so there's no more confusion, it's "laser". Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. There is no "z".

·
Registered
90 Posts
what kind of radar detector do you have?

my buddy had a passport 8500 and every time he honked his horn the laser would go off!!! now if someone could explain that to me i would be impressed.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
FastRS said:

my buddy had a passport 8500 and every time he honked his horn the laser would go off!!! now if someone could explain that to me i would be impressed.
It not really all that complicated. A sensor sees a certain frequency and an alarm goes off. I suppose you could find many things that cause a false alarm.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
My laser would go off under WOT at times. It seems there's some switch of a sort that diverts power from accessories at WOT, and the sudden voltage drop would signal laser. I put a big ass capactior in parallel, problem solved.

So whether it's the sensor picking up something as Jeff said, or a signal through the power...meh... mess around with it.

I also get laser if I'm going into the sun and spray my washer fluid... but that one is pretty obvious, I think.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FastRS said:

I have a two year old Whistler, i believe model number 936. It has never, ever done me wrong. I have x,k,ka,and laser (thank you zem for pointing out my incorrect spelling). I also have a "pulse" feature which very rarely goes off.

If my detector starts to go off, it's a very safe bet that there is fuzz in the area. I've never experienced it going off with my wipers, snow, or anything else crazy. 9.9 times out of 10 there is a cop, somewhere. Once it was going off like crazy, and i couldn't find a cop anywhere. Then, i got a little further up the road, and the cop was in front of me, radaring on-coming traffic. So needless to say i stayed back a ways.

I figured that planes cannot use laser, or anything else like it, but wasn't sure.

As for photo radar at intersections, they are ALL over boulder. They just installed on just east of foothills and valmont. They also have them at several intersections on 28th street.

I have a staff of 12 people, and 5 work cars that they use daily. They get photo tickets weekly. Most of the time it's hard to tell which driver it is, and i just mail it back with a note on the back, saying something to the effect of, "unrecogonizable driver." It has always been erased. If you do get found giulty, i'm pretty sure no points off the licence are taken.

In high school i had a "radar scrambler." It was a licence plate frame that had a small lense in the front. It would send out a scrambled signal to radaring cops. "XXX" wwill flash on their radar guns. I had it for three years and never once got a speeding ticket.

Anyways, hope everyone has a nice monday. Only 7.5 hours till the first monday night football game.

Peace,
nick.

·
Registered
514 Posts
npreston said:

In high school i had a "radar scrambler." It was a licence plate frame that had a small lense in the front. It would send out a scrambled signal to radaring cops. "XXX" wwill flash on their radar guns. I had it for three years and never once got a speeding ticket.

Did they let you go because they thought you were Vin Diesel?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Zem said:
And just so there's no more confusion, it's "laser". Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. There is no "z".
The one that gets under my skin is all the people who use the term foot pounds of torque. It is POUND FEET. Remember Newton? I am gonna start saying metersnewtons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Zem said:
Planes cannot use laser. Planes use "it took that car X seconds to travel Y feet, therefore the speed is Z mph". Laser cannot be used in a moving vehicle since it is only time-of-flight. Radar can be used while moving because it compares a moving object with its surroundings.... which is presumably the earth. Of course, in a snow storm, the moving snow will likely be the relative thingy.
Actually, cops radar guns use doppler radar. The gun sends out a specific frequency. When this signal hits a solid object, it bounces back. If the object is *moving*, it will actually bounce back at a different frequency. The difference between the original signal's frequency and the bounce back is used to calculate the speed of the moving object.

The gun can also be tied into the cop's vehicle, so that the cop can actually be moving as well. If this is not the case, then the cop must be standing still when he/she uses radar. This is because the frequency of the radar signal is changed immediately (upon leaving the radar gun), because the cop's car is moving.

Just like other forms of radar, cops radar doesn't work well in snow, rain, fog because the water in the air disperses the radar signals before they can hit your car (or return to the gun). Effectively, their range is reduced in bad weather.

Viggy

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MrViggy said:
Actually, cops radar guns use doppler radar. The gun sends out a specific frequency. When this signal hits a solid object, it bounces back. If the object is *moving*, it will actually bounce back at a different frequency. The difference between the original signal's frequency and the bounce back is used to calculate the speed of the moving object.

The gun can also be tied into the cop's vehicle, so that the cop can actually be moving as well. If this is not the case, then the cop must be standing still when he/she uses radar. This is because the frequency of the radar signal is changed immediately (upon leaving the radar gun), because the cop's car is moving.

Just like other forms of radar, cops radar doesn't work well in snow, rain, fog because the water in the air disperses the radar signals before they can hit your car (or return to the gun). Effectively, their range is reduced in bad weather.

Viggy
Daaaaaaaaaaaammmmnnnn!!!!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
WRX Harvey said:
The one that gets under my skin is all the people who use the term foot pounds of torque. It is POUND FEET. Remember Newton? I am gonna start saying metersnewtons.
It doesn't matter, given the Commutative Property of Multiplication.

Torque is measured in Weight x Length

AxB = BxA

Therefore, pound-feet is equivalent to foot-pounds.

: pushes up taped glasses:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I know that, but it is unconventional, and the idea of a one pound weight on a 270 foot long weightless pole is not as communicative as a 270 pound weight on a one foot long pole(like mine)!:)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts