Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When launching the Rex, the car doesn't seem to boost unless you 'pump' the gas pedal. Just holding the RPMs at 4000, for example, won't show any boost on the gauge. So how do you properly launch? Pump the gas? Or is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
223 Posts
My more effective launches involve pumping the gas and slipping @ ~5K. Quoting IS2Scooby, the rationale behind it is, "You're "loading" the motor against it's own inertia. It's harder to spin up a motor that is winding down in rpm than it is to rev it up from a standstill or to hold it at a constant rpm."

·
Registered
594 Posts
i just floor it and sidestep the clutch at 5 grand. a bit hard on the driveline i know but seems to be quite effective.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
chevyeater said:
i just floor it and sidestep the clutch at 5 grand. a bit hard on the driveline i know but seems to be quite effective.
Uh...a couple more times of that kind of launch and you can kiss your tranny goodbye! You should NEVER sidestep/dump the clutch on an AWD car...unless it's not yours ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
You'll kinda get a feel for it.

Its like, ho-hum, wow a 2 liter....ease off the clutch a tad, then you feel the urgency of the turbo, then BANG! You might turn around the first time you nail a launch and see who just hit you. When ya figure out how the boost builds on a launch, its really easy to replicate the process.

This is my approach, take with a grain of salt. Rev engine, 4-5k is fine. Ease out on the clutch, not enough to make the car move, feel for the engagment. When the car starts to creep just a tad, let it out(clutch) just a tiny bit more. Boost will start to build(loading the engine), then hammer the gas, and let the clutch out quickly, not a side-step, but quickly. The rising boost SHOULD keep ya from bogging. It seriously feels like you get hit from behind, it just lunges off the line. Second comes mighty fast when this approach is used, so be ready.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I know how to actually launch. I was wondering how to build boost, and I guess you have to have a load on the engine for it to build any. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
594 Posts
WRXin' said:
Uh...a couple more times of that kind of launch and you can kiss your tranny goodbye! You should NEVER sidestep/dump the clutch on an AWD car...unless it's not yours ;)
did you blow your trans doing this? after how many times? i have done this probably 20 times so far with no noticable effects. a 5k sidestep results in wheelspin on my car with stock tires.
:confused:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
chevyeater said:
did you blow your trans doing this? after how many times? i have done this probably 20 times so far with no noticable effects. a 5k sidestep results in wheelspin on my car with stock tires.
I haven't done it ever. After reading many horrific posts on her from people who have done that, I decided to never try it. Many have said that they had to replace their transmission after the second or third time of doing so. Just be careful. Transmissions can get pretty expensive.

·
1,379 Posts
chevyeater said:
There's a guy in my area (who probably would rather remain anonymous) who blew his tranny after less than a year doing this.

·
1,379 Posts
JimmyNY said:
Yeah, I know how to actually launch. I was wondering how to build boost, and I guess you have to have a load on the engine for it to build any. Thanks for the info.
The second post in the first thread I referenced earlier says (underline emphasis mine):

You want to build boost before you launch. I hold the rpms at 3K then flooor it (building boost) then slip/drop the clutch at 5K. 1.86 60's that way. Also, if you have a boost controller, hold each gear to redline. Shifting early into 4th cost me 3-4 tenths and 3mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts