1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
9000 RPM but I do it in 3rd gear.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I've found the best launch point is around 5000-5500 RPMs on my STIs with a rapid slip of the clutch, but it should be similar with a similar motor. This should drop you right at the beginning of boost.

Maybe someone with your specific year will chime in.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
whatever will ensure my transmission drops quicker than a veyrons 0-60 time.

but seriously, dont launch your car...youre most likely going to brake your tranny and/or fry your clutch

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've found the best launch point is around 5000-5500 RPMs on my STIs with a rapid slip of the clutch, but it should be similar with a similar motor. This should drop you right at the beginning of boost.

Maybe someone with your specific year will chime in.
This is solid advice.

It also depends on the road/track conditions. Depending on the weather and track conditions I have had good launches anywhere from 5000-6500rpm, and also varying degrees of clutch slip. Safest way to launch, as Mikie13 alluded to, is to slip the clutch.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
whatever will ensure my transmission drops quicker than a veyrons 0-60 time.

but seriously, dont launch your car...youre most likely going to brake your tranny and/or fry your clutch
You're an idiot :p

You can launch your car fine if you know how to do it properly, and as long as you are launching for the correct reasons (not street racing).

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
sad:( i wouldnt say hes an idiot maybe misinformed would be better
Mikie was joking. Zach wasn't serious about the whole Veyron thing. :)

Obviously, you don't need to launch in day to day traffic, but if I want to get going in a hurry, I slip the clutch as Mikie said. The key is to make the clutch the weak point in the driveline. Clutches are FAR cheaper to replace than transmissions, so while I would advise against launching regularly, slipping the clutch will minimize the drivetrain shock, which is the WRX tranny killer.

·
Æternum
20,600 Posts
I usually launch at 10,000 RPM. This generally allows me to instantly exceed the speed of light in air such that relativistic mechanics takes effect. The Lorentz contraction allows me to finish the street race faster. I also like the glow from my Cherenkov radiation.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I usually launch at 10,000 RPM. This generally allows me to instantly exceed the speed of light in air such that relativistic mechanics takes effect. The Lorentz contraction allows me to finish the street race faster. I also like the glow from my Cherenkov radiation.
Especially in a school zone.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I launch at idle. Don't even hit the gas until the clutch is fully engaged.

·
turbo juice
112 Posts
I launch at idle. Don't even hit the gas until the clutch is fully engaged.
Undoubtably good for your tranny but wouldnt be a good launch....car would bog down then take off.

When i find myself on the track on test and tune nights, i rev around 4500 and slip the clutch but i have 05 sti not a new rex

·
Registered
759 Posts
Undoubtably good for your tranny but wouldnt be a good launch....car would bog down then take off.

When i find myself on the track on test and tune nights, i rev around 4500 and slip the clutch but i have 05 sti not a new rex
lol

I forgot the "/sarcasm" tag

·
Registered
966 Posts
It's quite complicated. You want to push the clutch to the floor, put the shifter in first gear, push the pedal to the floor, let the RPM's bounces off red-line for ATLEAST 45-50 seconds, (gotta make sure your turbo is all the way spooled) at this point u want a centimeter of the right side of your shoe on the clutch, then slip it off to the side. you will run a qtr mile in under 7 seconds, guaranteed. Oh and also, all this should be done with the E-Brake fully engaged, and DO NOT look out the windsheild, keep your eyes locked on the gauges, you wanna shift perfect every single time, forget about the windshield, glue your eyes on them gauges.

(this is obviously sarcasm, please no idiots try this, the car will cry, and chances are you will crash if u don't look out the windshield) hahahahaha

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
On my 2.0L I had my launch limiter set to 5500 rpm's. At the strip I ended up going full throttle off it so I could get just enough tire spin to get me out of the hole without bogging. With the 2.5 set up I don't have the launch control set up yet. I only launched it once at 5k and easily got all the tires to spin and actually saw and smelled the tires. After that though on my back road fun in the mountains the crappy spec clutch started to give out. I think 4500 on full launch control would be perfect for my set up at least. There is only one way to find out for sure where you should launch at and that's try it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts