ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I'm driving to work and get into some irrigation spray. Pull the lever, get some more water going and run the wipers. Wipers ran, but no water... Rear works fine. I know I got the washer reservoir full, just checked all fluids for an upcoming long road trip. So at work I checked all fuses and didn't find anything wrong. Once home I proceed to take the car apart. The pump(s) are on the reservoir under the fender (this is a 09 WRX). Get to the pump, no voltage when I pull the lever. So wiring, have voltage to ground, combo switch switches ground for the pump to run. Pulled the steering covers and took the switch out. Checked it, found the contacts don't make. Checking further I found that the "pull" only activates the wipers. For wash water I have to push the button at the end of the stick.... Guess how that made me feel... There was nothing wrong with the car, just a stupid driver, not knowing the operation of the car... 2+1/2 hrs later I have it all back together... Now it's off to the shower...

Abybody else done stupid like this?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
So today I'm driving to work and get into some irrigation spray. Pull the lever, get some more water going and run the wipers. Wipers ran, but no water... Rear works fine. I know I got the washer reservoir full, just checked all fluids for an upcoming long road trip. So at work I checked all fuses and didn't find anything wrong. Once home I proceed to take the car apart. The pump(s) are on the reservoir under the fender (this is a 09 WRX). Get to the pump, no voltage when I pull the lever. So wiring, have voltage to ground, combo switch switches ground for the pump to run. Pulled the steering covers and took the switch out. Checked it, found the contacts don't make. Checking further I found that the "pull" only activates the wipers. For wash water I have to push the button at the end of the stick.... Guess how that made me feel... There was nothing wrong with the car, just a stupid driver, not knowing the operation of the car... 2+1/2 hrs later I have it all back together... Now it's off to the shower...

Abybody else done stupid like this?
Ive done that a few times but before i ripped it apart something made me press the button

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
We've all been there at one time or another. When I installed my STI cluster I almost tore apart the entire steering column trying to find the short in the gauge dimmer. Turns out the cluster is dimmed from a knob on the cluster, not the stalk like everything else. Thankfully Sinister on here came to my rescue before I'd wasted too much time.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I did the exact same thing; pulled the lever back no washer fluid, checked the to see if the rear washer was working, I didn't disassemble anything though. Next day got in the honda pulled the lever to clean the pollen off and realized what I had done wrong in the subie. Felt stupid afterward, but not as much as when I tried to shift the automatic honda like the 5 speed subaru. At least I missed the brake when trying to depress the imaginary clutch. :redface:

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
I called the dealership for another reason, but mentioned that it seemed that I took delivery of the car with an empty washer fluid reservoir. I was at work at the time, so I didn't actually look under the hood. An hour and a half later I get a call from the salesman saying that he talked to a tech and calmly explained to me that unlike some other cars, the pull doesn't activate the washer, just the wipers, and that there is a nice little button on the end of the stalk for me to try pushing.

Boy did I feel like a horse's patoot.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,731 Posts
Felt stupid afterward, but not as much as when I tried to shift the automatic honda like the 5 speed subaru. At least I missed the brake when trying to depress the imaginary clutch. :redface:
Ive done this before, and actually hit the brake pedal. I was in an ex's jeep cherokee and luckily we were only in a neighborhood going like 20mph. Now when I get into my gf's auto I plant my foot on the ground until i make sure I realize im in an auto haha

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had just bought my first New car...my Subie. I have it about a week when I decide to just wipe everything down...keep it shiny inside and out. As I finished, I noticed my parking lights were on. I go to turn them off and the lever on the steering column is already in the off position. I think, great, a short already! About an hour passed, I read through the book twice, and I still couldn't get them to turn off even with the car off and the key out of the ignition. Finally, I swallowed my pride and asked on here... I was then educated that there as an additional parking light switch, a rocker switch on top of the steering column. Yep, I just needed to flip the switch to OFF. ...keeps a man humble. :)

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I did it with my mom's Toyota Avalon yesterday. I'm so used to the setup on my STI, the Avalon is different. She kept asking me why I was putting the wipers on when I was taking her to the airport :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Same thing happened to me with the wiper fluid.Happened to me right after I took delivery as it was raining.I was sure something was wrong with the motor.And I remember thinking to myself,great its already broken.

I didn't rip anything apart though.Read through the manual & found the little button on the stalk.

I always shift gears with the clutch in out automatic SUV.

·
Æternum
20,937 Posts
That's pretty funny.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I always shift gears with the clutch in out automatic SUV.
I put the clutch down the second I got into the Avalon to start it up yesterday myself :rotfl:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I did it with my mom's Toyota Avalon yesterday. I'm so used to the setup on my STI, the Avalon is different. She kept asking me why I was putting the wipers on when I was taking her to the airport :rotfl:
Yeah, my wife's Honda is like that. I'm used to the Subaru's "wiper blip" function when you pull the stalk, but that's the washer function on Hondas. Pushing the stalk up on Hondas does the blip. I mess it up every single **** time in her car.

I've also done the "reach for the clutch" thing in a column-shifter automatic. :rotfl: I reached for the imaginary stick and grabbed a coke bottle instead. Thankfully, I never hit the brake reaching for the clutch.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
lol, if you ever can't get your parking lights off there is a button for that too. Just saying. :tongue:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've got a worse story about windshield washer malfunction ....or operator failure.

On St. Patrick's day my wife was driving me and my buddies home from a party (as our DD of course) and on the way home she tried to spray he windshield. Once we stopped to drop them off I knew we had a jug in the car so I pop out she pops the hood I proceed to fill the reservoir.

couple days later she tells me it hasn't been working. Well I know it's full since I had just filled it. I go out jump in the car try to use it I hear the motor working so I figure it must be a plugged line. I pop the hood take a look at the tank and notice it's empty!!! Must be a leak I figure, I add some more fluid and no leak...interdesting.....

But wait a minute right in front of the windshield washer reservoir is the coolant reservoir....oh and look it seems that it's crazy full. Well in my drunken state and with it being dark I poured about half a bottle of windshield washer fluid into the coolant...I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Easy fix to replace it and it didn't do any harm so at least I got a laugh out of it.

operator failure for sure.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
I've got a worse story about windshield washer malfunction ....or operator failure.

On St. Patrick's day my wife was driving me and my buddies home from a party (as our DD of course) and on the way home she tried to spray he windshield. Once we stopped to drop them off I knew we had a jug in the car so I pop out she pops the hood I proceed to fill the reservoir.

couple days later she tells me it hasn't been working. Well I know it's full since I had just filled it. I go out jump in the car try to use it I hear the motor working so I figure it must be a plugged line. I pop the hood take a look at the tank and notice it's empty!!! Must be a leak I figure, I add some more fluid and no leak...interdesting.....

But wait a minute right in front of the windshield washer reservoir is the coolant reservoir....oh and look it seems that it's crazy full. Well in my drunken state and with it being dark I poured about half a bottle of windshield washer fluid into the coolant...I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Easy fix to replace it and it didn't do any harm so at least I got a laugh out of it.

operator failure for sure.
And now you have a nice clean radiator ;)

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'm guessing that was the converse scenario to that which led to the development of de-icing windshield fluid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts