ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Even still. Wouldn't that be the most powerful stock WRX? That makes an amazing base to tune up.

I would highly consider trading in my 06 on that.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,956 Posts
Sounds like the good times are going to keep on rollin.:thumbup:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Yeah, we'll see. Seems fairly plausible we'll see it come over here, but only Subaru knows for sure.

Did you see where Subaru put the turbo? It's right in front middle. I wonder if that means equal length headers now and faster spool. It will be interesting to hear what it sounds like.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun for a legacy personally. The article goes on to say that this motor will likely end up in the next wrx and sti. Whereas a 296hp wrx and something more powerful (~350/360hp) STI would be fun, somewhere in between is more likely. so maybe 280 or so for the wrx and 330/340 for the STI?

Still no word on a turbo BRZ

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
Did you see where Subaru put the turbo? It's right in front middle. I wonder if that means equal length headers now and faster spool. It will be interesting to hear what it sounds like.
no more rumble?:sadwave:

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I think it's the very large (for a 4 cylinder) bore that creates the rumble...which should probably remain true...?...(hopefully).
Nope...it's the headers being unequal in length. Creates more of 2-stroke sound with the exhaust pulses (blub blub blub blub). If you ever hear a Subaru with equal length headers, it sounds more like an Evo with an exhaust.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope...it's the headers being unequal in length. Creates more of 2-stroke sound with the exhaust pulses (blub blub blub blub). If you ever hear a Subaru with equal length headers, it sounds more like an Evo with an exhaust.
Yeah, yeah...what do I know...
So basically the deeper rumble part of the exhaust note is the pause between the pulses of the unequal length headers...?...

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
^ that.. though not quite like a 2 cycle.. more like 2 cyl (think giant twin) The current exhaust design pairs the exhaust note and half's the exhaust frequency. So it makes that harley love child kinda sound. lol
I dont think they did that on purpose either, seems to me just a byproduct of compromise.

·
Banned
296 Posts
What kind of mpg improvement are we looking at? I'm guessing not much. Considering Subaru is giving the BRZ a generous 25city 34 highway, if you add a turbo,add roughly 4-5 hundred pounds, and also more grippy tires, we're looking at 19city 26freeway ? What do you guys think?

·
Æternum
20,564 Posts
If you've been on the forums long enough, you already know that I have a boner for this motor.

Reactions: Rambo

·
Æternum
20,564 Posts
I think it's the very large (for a 4 cylinder) bore that creates the rumble...which should probably remain true...?...(hopefully).
The large bore is a terrible design for a turbocharged car. Hopefully the new motor will be more square. The 2.0L WRX has a maximum mean piston velocity of only 18 m/s. The 2.5 only 19 m/s. Higher piston velocity means faster exhaust gas velocity. Higher exhaust gas velocity means quicker turbo spool. Ever wonder why an Evo spools a turbo quicker than an STi despite having 20% less displacement? From sportbikes, to the Honda S2000, to Ferraris, we can see that the maximum MPS (mean piston speed) is about 26 m/s for road-going motors. Subaru has a lot of room to grow. The reason for the large bore and low stroke is because of packaging: Subaru needed to place the motor horizontally in the frame while retaining a decent R:S ratio. Thus a long stroke was not feasible. With the new motor, the asymmetrical rods should allow for slightly longer stroke while keeping the rod length the same. This, coupled with direct injection (increased compression), and Dual AVCS should mean a very torquey motor despite less displacement.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I dont think they did that on purpose either, seems to me just a byproduct of compromise.
Yeah, I always assumed it was a consequence of having to fit the exhaust lines to one side or the other, while squeezing a turbo in there somewhere. I think the whole uppipe/downpipe kink in the exhaust line is a bit odd, but props to them for getting it all to fit and still have the engine sit so low.

Porsche and VW didn't have the transmission in the way, and could thus punch the exhaust straight back on each side. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to do that with a NA Subaru engine: have a true "dual exhaust" with separate exhaust lines for each side of the block.

·
Registered
367 Posts
296 hp sounds all kinds of sexy. but the style of the new impreza doesnt really do anything for me. im hoping the wrx version will get some body tweaks and not look so blah

·
Registered
367 Posts
also going back to the 2.0 hearkens back to the rally days (2.0 being the largest engine allowed) but that probably means a massive turbo to make those numbers which also mean more lag :( still HP is like money, the only this better than it is more of it :)

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
296 hp sounds all kinds of sexy. but the style of the new impreza doesnt really do anything for me. im hoping the wrx version will get some body tweaks and not look so blah
The new WRX/STi's are being completely separated from the Impreza line. So they "shouldn't" look similar at all.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts