ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lateral Link advice requested (my endlinks hit my lat links)

I have a 2007 wrx wagon that I wanted to upgrade my lateral links for. I looked at Rallispec's 6 and 4 piece kits. I wanted the 6 piece, but have heard that the endlinks sometimes break and so I went with the poltec boxes. At this point I didn't want to spend the money on the 6 piece so I got the 4 piece rallispec kit. Also, I think full pillowball is overkill so I welcomed the remaining N-bushing for some compliance. This is in the mail now. Yesterday I had some parts installed by my local race shop including whiteline 22mm sway bars. They said that my endlinks hit the tab where the stock endlinks mounted. I don't care if my stock links don't fit it because I'm going to use aftermarket links, however my aftermarket links also have this tab. So now I'm faced with options (assuming I don't want to switch my endlinks, I rather like those boxes).

Try flipping my aftermarket link. (does this really work and not cause fitment issues elsewhere?)

Cut tab off aftermarket link. (Any downside to this, the tab doesn't look load bearing and I my shop says it can be done without heat?)

Get different links. (I don't think I want full pillowball or to spend the money for the 6 piece set)

Let me know your thoughts guys. Thanks a bunch.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
you got the four piece kit, so you don't need the Poltec boxes- just use a oe style aftermarket link

the "box" was designed to replace the STi box from the 6 piece set as it has proven to fail- especially w/ bigger bars

it also allows you to run a smooth lateral link (one w/ no oe box on it)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The boxes seem better from a performance standpoint though. I think my problem is that I wanted the 4 piece because of the remaining N-bushing, but the boxes for performance. I knew that I was going to have an unused tab. I just didn't know it would get in the way. What links are you using?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Keith I have the 05/06 oe aluminum wagon lateral links, they only come as fronts- I first ran just the fronts w/ Grp N bushings pressed in and then it hit me that I could use the fronts in the rear (by pressing in the appropriate Grp N bushings) if I went w/ the Poltec boxes/spherical links

You've got three choices as I see it, run the 4 piece set w/o the boxes (and a oe style uprated sway link) or run the four piece set w/ the Poltec boxes either w/ the rear lateral links turned downward or buzz the brackets off or get the 6 piece set and run the stronger Poltec boxes (and keep the ones from the kit as spares)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've decided to go with the 6 piece set and keep the endlinks for spares.

I had an idea of my options, but didn't know if any were especially bad (flipping or buzzing links). Thanks for the help again. I don't think I'd have much of an idea of what to do with my suspension without reading project wagon.

Two quick questions. (HA, you thought you were done). Which position on the front sway bar from whiteline is stiff. Is it the position most toward the front of the car? Also, I have a .75-1 inch drop it seems with my new springs. Would the whiteline roll-center adjuster help at all? Can you tell just by looking at the angle of the control arms?

You should take a vacation in California sometime and visit our wonderful racetracks. It would be fun trying to keep up with you.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I think that is a good option :)

here's a pic- this is the soft position, yes the most forward hole is the stiff one (effectively shortens the bar)

even a 1/2" drop would benefit from the roll center adjuster, of course less need for it than say 1.5" drop

at .75-1" I don't think it's a must do, but like I said you'd still get benefit from it (raising the roll center- getting it closer to the center of gravity)

I've said it a bunch of times over the years, that CA would be a great place to live w/ all of the tracks and the almost year round opportunity to use them- very jealous for sure :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts