Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of a cheap VW Bug for sale in the area? I need a parts running car for when mine is torn apart, and I also really want to rebuild an early 70's bug. I know nothing about VW engines, so i'm looking for one that runs semi-decent, the body and interior are not as important. I plan on rebuilding/redesigning 99% of the interior, fabricating some body panels out of fiberglass, possibly turning it into a VW "Targa" and maybe rebuilding the engine someday...you get the idea. I want to spend $500-800, but I have no idea what that will get me. Back to searching ebay...
:wiggles:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't know if it's a junk yard or what, but there are a ton of old VWs on N57th and Valmont...

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zem: Your PM box is full. You're also slightly insane.

Ryan: Cool, i'll check it out! But you're not as insane as Mark.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have owned a 67 and a 73 along with parts from just about ever year made up until the new GHEY ones.

The best place to get a bug that is in good shape is the annual
BUG-IN held ever August at Bandimere. They have everything from drags racing bugs to pumped up daily drivers or just a good old fashion beetles.

And you can find a lot of good deals in the paper, beleive it or not.

I have been thinking of getting another one just for fun. Drive it to and from work, keep the miles of my wagon. Except I want to find either a nice baja or build one, not like its hard, 3 bolts holds the engine in. And it takes two jacks to pull the motor. 5 bolts to hold on a fender, 4 for the hood. etc etc etc.

If you do find an older model 67 down, make sure its been converted from 6volt to 12volt.

Kory

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MtnManWRX said:
I have been thinking of getting another one just for fun. Drive it to and from work, keep the miles of my wagon. Except I want to find either a nice baja or build one
That's EXACTLY why I want one. It seems like an easy car to rebuild from the wheels up. I just need a small project car to keep me out of trouble ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Harvey has a tubbed (targa) bug that runs. You may want to try and contact him. It is reliable enough that it got him around during his transmission fiasco (partially my fault :( ) .

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's right...Harvey, where the heck are you? I might have to go slam a couple margs to find him

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hadn't really thought about making it a Baja, but i'm up for anything. I plan on putting a ton of hours into it over the next couple years, and doing a lot of fiberglassing, maybe carbon fiber if I ever get good at it. Probably remold the back seat area and install 2 or 3 10" subs where the back seat used to be, stuff like that. I want to focus on the interior and body first, then mod the engine/exhaust/suspension after that. Who knows at this point, I need the bug first :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
3 subs in a Bug sounds like fun, haha. As soon as the weather gets better, I need some fiberglassing help for a sub in my spare...but thats already in another thread. Hahaha.

Hijack over.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Oh wow. That is cool.

P.S. Harvey, do you have lunch specials at your place? I'm getting tired of $3.50 Chinese food and it'd be cool to finally make the extra 20 second walk to your place and meet you and get some food.

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Harvey! That is a *tad* more than I wanted to spend, but that looks like a blast to drive. Did you do most of the work yourself? I bet it's great in this weather, AWD right? ;) I really need a bug...can't wait to find the perfect one to start on.

To all the Boulder college kids (and working stiffs like me) We should meet at Harvey's for lunch sometime, I can take an hour anytime from 11:30 on. It can be like the friday afternoon club, only the SWC lunch club...and maybe we'll let sedans in too :p

nice hijack Rancid, you got me on it

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'll have to get some buddies together and come check it out on Friday. Right around noon. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts